HP LaserJet 4 "22 Error" Message (1303 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Sebastian Gonzalez
Message 1 of 3 (1,303 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP LaserJet 4 "22 Error" Message

Can you please tell me what error message "22" means. I have an old LaserJet 4 on a data switch which keeps giving the above message from one of the computers hooked up to the switch. After the error message appears I only get garbage printed on the page. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Sebastian
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 2 of 3 (1,303 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 4 "22 Error" Message

The "22 Error" indicates a communication mis-match (ie: data at a different speed than the port (usually serial) is set to.

If you're getting this error right after starting up the computer... there is often RF "noise" on the LPT port at power on that is interpretted by the printer as data. Since it's not a complete set of data the printer identifies it as a communication mis-match and gives the "22 Error".

This is fairly common when used with serial connections and data switches.

Easiest "fix" (not really a fix) is to power on the printer AFTER the computers are powered on.

If you're seeing this all the time then that computer is probably trying to communicate with the printer at a different speed/protocol than the printer's port is set to.

That help?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Rick_70
Message 3 of 3 (1,303 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 4 "22 Error" Message

Sebastian,

Is this a "PAR 22" error? If it is, then the easiest way to fix the problem is to go into the "Paralle Menu" on the printer's control panel and set the Highspeed to no from yes and the advanced functions to no from yes. be sure to hit "enter" when you change the settings. you will see an asterisk on the right side of the LED.

Rick

PS if you are using a zip drive on the parallel port then there may be a driver file for the zip drive that is causing the 22 error. There is a bulletin on HP.Com about this problem.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation