HP LaserJet 4: Error Code - 57 Service (3380 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Vincent Coon Jr
Message 1 of 5 (3,380 Views)

HP LaserJet 4: Error Code - 57 Service

Hi there. If anyone here can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I just recently purchased an HP LaserJet 4 Series Printer off of Ebay, and since receiving it, I have been getting an Error Code on the Control Panel, and cannot get any further than that. The error code I am receiving is: 57 Service.

I got the printer to go past that, one time, and one time only. I was able to get into the menu, and print a test page off of it, and that was it. I thought it might possibly be the Toner Cartridge, so I just went to Staples and bought a brand new toner cartridge, and still no luck.

If someone can help me with this, I would appreciate it. I need this printer for business purposes. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 2 of 5 (3,380 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 4: Error Code - 57 Service

Main motor problem, check gear train for binding. Replace main motor. You just bought yourself a bad printer. Take the Fuser out and check the gear on the Fuser and inside the printer. If the gear on the Fuser turns fien with yoru fingers, the Main Motor is most likely dead. It is not easy for the average person to replace that becuase you will have to take the cover, side panel, formatter off to get to the main motor assembly.

D.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Vincent Coon Jr
Message 3 of 5 (3,380 Views)

Dewaine,

I replaced the power cable on the printer, and now the printer is working fine. I have absolutely no idea what this did for it, but it works great now. I am thinking the power cord that I was using, was somehow giving the printer too much power, therefore causing this error. I was also myself thinking that it was the main motor, but since it is working now with the new power cable, i am not so sure now. :) Thank you for your response. I really do appreciate it.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Leroy Brummett
Message 4 of 5 (3,380 Views)

Hello Vincent,
I have the same problem with my laser jet 4 printer. Did you find out what your problem was.
Do you mind letting me know if you have something to add. I don't know if it is worth fixing or not.
Leroy
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 5 (3,380 Views)

Most times if the issue is not the main motor, it is the toner cartridge or the fuser. Remove the toner cartrdige and turn on the printer. If the motor turns it is possible the drum gear is frozen causing the issue. Most times with me at least it is the fuser, where the hot roller and the pressure roller fuse together and prevent the gears from turning at all. As D explained above, replacing the motor is not that easy since much has to come off and keep in mind LJ4 printers are selling for about 25.00 on ebay with shipping being twice that amount. Good Luck.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation