HP LaserJet 1320 - poor print quality (1240 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1271076
Message 1 of 6 (1,240 Views)

HP LaserJet 1320 - poor print quality

I have a brand new Laser Jet 1320 connected via USB to my G4 Mac running OS 10.3.8 but am getting VERY poor print quality despite:
A) using HP paper
B) setting:
* economode OFF
* print density = 5
* printer resolution = 600 dpi
* resolution enhancement ON
C) redistributing the toner
D) spending hours looking for help in the manual & on the HP website

I like the printer a lot, but will have to return it to the store & purchase another brand if I can't find a way to significantly improve the poor print quality since the output is unusable as is - not much better than an old dot matrix printer, & certainly nowhere near the quality of my Apple IIg & TI Microlaser Plus laser printers which both recently died after 12+ years of faithful service.

The HP 1320 got excellent reviews for print quality, so what am I doing wrong, or did I inadvertently get a lemon?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor
Pat
Message 2 of 6 (1,240 Views)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1271076
Message 3 of 6 (1,240 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 1320 - poor print quality

Thanks VERY much to Pat for taking the time to respond with quite a number of suggestions as to where I might find help. Unfortunately:

A) I had already looked at all those links before I posted my question here

B) I can't figure out how to set DPI = 300; the only choices offered (in HP Toolbox, or in software programs) are ProRes 1200, FastRes 1200, or 600 dpi; there is no opportunity to enter a different figure, ie 300 dpi

While the default is print density = 3, the HP documentation recommends increasing this to 5 if printing is too faint; however, even at 5, output is still unacceptable.

The HP documentation states that settings in the printer drivers take priority over those established in the HP toolbox. How would I access the settings in the drivers to change them in the (faint) hope this might correct my problems?

Thanks for any help you or anyone else can provide. After 10 days of trying to get this printer to work properly, I'm about ready to pack it in, return it to the store, & start over with another HP model, or perhaps another brand altogether.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for a replacement laser printer that would work with both Mac/PC.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
eric youmans
Message 4 of 6 (1,240 Views)

Sorry to awaken an old thread, but I'm having the same problem (without Macs being involved). Just got this out of the box today. It has very average black and white print quality and the fan makes a bunch of racket after printing is complete. Now my boss is disappointed and I have to get two printers on our plant floor as soon as possible. Any other ideas or should this be returned?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
eric youmans
Message 5 of 6 (1,240 Views)

Nevermind, I bought a brand new cartridge and it prints perfectly now. I had to drive to Office Depot and spend $75 more to get it to print the way it's supposed to.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
notlek
Message 6 of 6 (730 Views)

I only have two options for print resolution on the hp software.  It is either 300dpi or 600dpi, how can I increase the resolution above 600dpi?

Please advise

Thanks

Using Windows 7

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation