HP LaserJet 1320 Tray 2 problem (1430 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Jordan Shafer
Message 1 of 7 (1,430 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP LaserJet 1320 Tray 2 problem

I seem to be having a problem with the sensor which detects the presence of Tray 2 or perhaps the paper level in tray 2. The attention light begins to blink after the printer is turned on and it goes through its normal startup routine.

I believe I can safely eliminate the cartridge as the problem because the printer recognizes when it is or is not inserted. Also I can use the manual feed of tray 1 just fine. The printer accepts the paper when I place it in the manual feed and the attention light disappears. Once the page has been manually printed, the attention light returns. I have tried two different paper trays with varying paper levels. Neither of the trays seem to be recognized by the printer. I have looked through the manuals and on the forums here but have had no luck finding any good info.

Hopefully you guys can come up with some good suggestions. It might be something obvious that I'm just missing. I kind of hope thats the situation. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (1,430 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 1320 Tray 2 problem

There is a flag that comes down on the right side of the pickup roller that tells the printer when there is paper in the tray. If that flag has shifted more to the right then it does not intersect the sensor and the printer always thinks there is no paper. The other item it to observe from the rear with a flashlight. When you insert the tray the bottom of the printer I think has a bar that releases the spring loaded clip that raises the tray, so if the tray does not raise then the printer does not see the paper. If you fill the tray all the way to the top and still have the issue this will not be the issue.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Jordan Shafer
Message 3 of 7 (1,430 Views)

Alright I think the flag which checks for paper in the tray may be my problem. I verified the paper is popped up in the tray and I can see the flag when shinning a flashlight in from the back. The flag is engaged or pushed up by the paper in the tray which I assume is how the printer confirms there is paper in the tray.

I have tried manually engaging the sensor but this has no effect either. You mentioned the sensor may have moved too far to the side and thus cannot send the signal. How can I restore the sensor to its position or verify further why the sensor is not sending the signal? Is this something that would potentially need to be replaced?

Thanks for the help thus far.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
orion20052007
Message 4 of 7 (1,065 Views)

Hi, 

After cleaning the pickup roller, I noticed the black flag on the right dangle and looks like it moved to the left a bit. Is there a way to slide it back in its place, as I tried for a few seconds but it does not. (Hp LJ 1320)

Thanks. 

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 7 (1,056 Views)

Does the machine say tray 2 is out of paper or you just see the flag dangling. If is says out of paper the best way is to remove the pickup roller and then move the flag as the shaft it is on will now have play. Below is a link to the service manual for instructions.

http://www.feedroller.com/store/Service%20Manual/serv1160_1320.pdf
Please use plain text.
Visitor
orion20052007
Message 6 of 7 (1,050 Views)

The printer seems to work fine except for ocazional multiple paper pickups. I was wondering if there is a particular way of sliding the flag in its place...as it might be useful there :) I tried to push it somehow back, but no succes.... Do I have to remove the roller...? 

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 7 (1,045 Views)

If the printer works fine, then the flag is in the correct position so do not mess with it as you will probably break something.. As to the multiple page issue it means the separation pad in the tray has probably worn. In the same manual are instructions to replace. You can first try to clean the pad using warm soapy water and then dry and see if that helps. If it multipages from tray 1 (manual feeder), then the pad there will need to be changed.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation