HP LJ 1600 toolbox no longer functions (3481 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 9 (3,481 Views)

HP LJ 1600 toolbox no longer functions

My boss has an HP 1600 color printer connected directly via USB to a Dell Vostro 1500 (2GB RAM, Win XP Home SP3, all recent updates applied).

I used the HP toolbox on the computer earlier this month and produced an ink supplies report for him.

Today, when trying to do the same thing, I get "An error occurred" "An unknown error occurred. Make certain that the device's power cord is plugged in, the power is turned on, and that all cables are properly connected"

The computer is able to print to the 1600 just fine, but is unable to communicate via either the HP toolbox icon, or opening an IE page pointing to http://localhost:3911 . I was able to produce an ink supplies report from the front panel of the printer.

Just to be sure it wasn't ZoneAlarm or other security software, I rebooted and disabled everything temporarily, as well as shutting down the printer for approx 5 mins before powering back on.

Now, about a year ago we had a similar problem, which it turns out was due to an update in Windows which required a printer firmware update. However I see no newer firmware than the one dated 2007 that we downloaded a year ago. I'm stumped.
Occasional Visitor
Message 2 of 9 (3,481 Views)

Re: HP LJ 1600 toolbox no longer functions

I have the same thing. I used to see the remaining toner levels using Windows XP. Now I am using Windows 7 (64-bit?), I had to download new drivers from HP (not on my disc). When I click on "HP Color LaserJet 1600 Toolbox", installed to my desktop as part of this, I always get the error message "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E:."

The toobox page is then empty.

I give up!

Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 9 (3,481 Views)

Update to my earlier comment:

Those who are familiar with Roy's First Rule of Computer Installation - 'Have you turned it off and back on again?' - or HYTIO-ABOA - will know I should have rebooted to get rid of that message about the setup disk.

I rebooted and the message was gone.

I have finally got the printer to work. Although there is no indication which option to use (please add this advice to the web pages, how on earth should a silly user like me know how many bits his or her lovely new operating system is in? ;-) ) I have determined that Windows 7 'Home Premium' does require the *64-bit* Windows 7 file.

However, the Toolbox utility resolutely refuses to function.

I downloaded the 2007 update in case that helped. That merely replaced the Toolbox shortcut with one called 'HP Support Assistant' - I have a Compaq (HP) computer.

When the user has played the game of 'hunt the printer' within this - you have to translate 'Around your computer' into what it means, i.e. 'peripherals' - no joy.

Workaround - check printer levels with an old XP laptop I still have.

Summary: for Windows 7 Home Premium, install the HP 1600 printer with new 64-bit drivers here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

The toolbox I can't get to work with Windows 7. Workaround - don't bin your old XP machine! Grateful for any hints.

And reboot after your installation - remember HYTIO-ABOA!
Occasional Visitor
Message 4 of 9 (3,481 Views)

I have had exactly the same problem on a 32bit Windows XP computer. Apparently this is something to do with .Net 3.0. The following HP firmware update fixed my problem; follow the instructions exactly, hope it works for you: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...
Occasional Visitor
Message 5 of 9 (3,481 Views)

I have tried that firmware update. It (or something!) deleted my shortcut to Internet Explorer (software was still there!) so I re-established the shortcut and opened IE8.
When I then tried to access my printer toolbox following a reboot, a tab opened "An Unknown Error Occurred".

D'oh.

Back to the XP workaround...

Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 9 (3,481 Views)

Just found that Oliver's tip had stopped my printer working entirely so I had to re-instal the drivers from the link I posted.

Now it's working again.

Moral? 64-bit users, don't even *think* about installing that update.

(top man for the idea, Oliver)
Frequent Advisor
Message 7 of 9 (3,149 Views)

[ Edited ]

Firmware updates are of PARAMOUNT importance to all devices... if a firmware update is available YOU MUST INSTALL IT to prevent future issues - like the toolbox not working in a newer OS. With that said...

That firmware update Oliver posted did NOT delete your shortcut icons... I hope most people that read your reply have correctly overlooked your assumption for the noob mistake it was. In addition, the firmware update DOES seem to change the way the printer communicates with its driver on the PC. So it's probably true that the printer stopped working properly after updating... mine was behaving rather strange as well (Windows 7 x64 SP1), producing "Error - Printing" on every document. Re-installing it fixed that.

My 1600 toolbox wasn't working either, but I didn't have v3.0 or 3.5, I have 4.0 installed, and I don't really intend on removing it just for this toolbox. I did find, though, that this fixed it:

1) Install the firmware update as per directions on the page - you MUST power cycle the printer after the update completes and the printer is once again "Ready". It won't work properly without restarting the printer.

2) Remove the old print driver, then unplug & re-plug the printer to reinstall it. The driver should now pick up on the new firmware and the toolbox (which relies on sending print jobs to the printer and reading its response) should work.

However, on mine it still has issues... I can't apply any settings, I can only "read". If I apply anything, it hangs and eventually times out. Might be a Chrome thing, because that seems like a rather odd issue. A print job, "ZlmsHttpServer - 12345678", lingers in the print queue as "Printing" while the web interface is in use. I'd think it should go through immediately and clear itself, so that might be part of the problem. With the old firmware and toolbox non-functional, though, that print job would show "Error - Printing" indefinitely.

I'm just glad I can use the toolbox now... I just got this printer second-hand (still with its original introductory cartridges!), so it's nice to have control over it. I would like to change the calibration period from 48 hours to 1 week, though, as I don't print much and would like to avoid wasting toner (no matter how little) on superfluous calibrations... but when I try to "apply" it, it just hangs and reverts to 48 hours when I refresh the error page. Ah well...

edit: Never mind! The configuration now applies successfully... not sure what changed, but now the ZlmsHttpServer print job only lingers around while I have the Device Settings window open, and the settings are accepted immediately after hitting "Apply". Woohoo! Toolbox works 100% now.

Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 9 (2,931 Views)

How do I get another toolbox for my HP 1600?

Occasional Visitor
Message 9 of 9 (1,658 Views)

For some time now my HP LJ 1600 toolbox no longer functions although the printer is working perfectly - I am now using Windows 7 - how can I fix this please ?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.