Re: HP LASERJET 4000N - J3111A JETDIRECT CARD (869 Views)
Occasional Contributor
MARTIN LAWS
Message 1 of 4 (1,496 Views)

HP LASERJET 4000N - J3111A JETDIRECT CARD

Hi,

I have a HPLJ4000N printer on my network and the J3111A Jetdirect card in it has an old firmware version of G.05.35

I want to upgrade this firmware to G.08.49 which should be possible and am using HP Download Manager 4.30 to do this.

However download manager can't see this printer to upgrade.  I've installed the Windows Server 2003 version of it on the actual Print Server we use to manage the printers.

It can see all other HP printers on my network and upgraded jetdirect firmware in them no problem at all, any ideas why it can't see this printer/jetdirect card?

The printer is on and can be pinged from the print server.

Best Regards

Occasional Contributor
MARTIN LAWS
Message 2 of 4 (1,495 Views)

Re: HP LASERJET 4000N - J3111A JETDIRECT CARD

Meant to add that HP Web JetAdmin can see and administer the printer with no problem, its just the HP Download Manager that can't see it to detect the firmware version.

Advisor
Justin Emlay
Message 3 of 4 (898 Views)

I came here to ask the same thing.  I have three HP printers (two 4000's and one 4050).  HP download manager can only see one of them.  I also swapped the 600N cards around and the problem followed the cards.  So HP DM can only see one of the cards.

My guess is the firmware is too old on the other cards.  Other things I noted:

1. On the card I was able to upgrade, I can FTP into it.  On the other two cards I can not FTP into them.

2. I can not HTTPS into any of my cards.

3. I can telnet into all of them.  No passwords are set.

So my two older cards are stuck at the firmware they're at.  I seemingly have no way to update them.  I saw in the internet that an older version of HP Download Manager worked for them however I cannot find an older version anywhere.

Advisor
Justin Emlay
Message 4 of 4 (869 Views)

It doesn't look like I'll get a response on this.  So I'll just leave this here for others to view:

1. The two cards I cannot access are FW G.05.35.  It would seems those cards are too old and are not able to be updated.  Not with any software avialble today.

2. I bought two N600 cards on ebay (brand new) for $20 a pop.

Problem solved.  The cards are also enternet only and no longer have the old token ring port on them nor the LocalTalk port.

40 bucks was well worth getting rid of this headache.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.