HP Color Laserjet 3800 (5854 Views)
Occasional Collector
bntech
Message 1 of 5 (5,854 Views)

HP Color Laserjet 3800

We recently moved to a windows 2008 domain, and also transferred all printers, print shares to a new windows 2008 server as well, The print server it Windows 2008 x64 bit
I used the printmig to transfer print shares and etc over from the old server.

Since then users report that they On a HP Color LaserJet 3800 (shared on the print server) - It only prints in Black and White
I tried replacing the driver using the universal driver types ( PCL5 // PCL6 and even PS)
After replacing drivers, and etc and testing, we found something weird. When printing the test page, the windows logo is in color, when printing pdfs it also is in color. However anything printed from the web, outlook, word, and anything else are all in black in white.

I checked the print config \ color settings on the actual printer and saw nothing out of the ordinary

Since then I have removed \ readded printer queues with the same effect.
I added 64bit drivers and added additional drivers for the hp color 3800 printer (32bit) x86
Both Print Services and File services are installed on the windows 2008 server
For further testing, I added the printer locally to a XP machine using the tcp/ip port.
I used the universal driver for XP and got the same results - no color at all, not even the test print. However in the download section for XP there is also a hp color laserjet 3800 pcl -5c driver which i tried -- using this driver on the xp machine proved to be sucessful.
All print jobs were in color as expected. I went to the Windows 2008 server and tried to use this same driver, and was unsucessful as it indicated it was incapatible, I looked in the download section and all that is listed is the universal driver.

What would cause this issue for the printer not to print in color
Where is the older non-Universal driver for windows 2008
How do we make the Hp color 3800 printer -- print in color while shared on a windows 2008 x64bit server

Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 2 of 5 (5,823 Views)

Re: HP Color Laserjet 3800

The PCL drivers for the 3800 have a setting in the Preferences, Color tab that is sometimes set incorrectly when migrated from one system to another.  I'd check there (if you haven't already).

As for the HP Universal Driver... In the Printing Properties, there is a Device Settings tab and at the bottom of the list of settings there is "Device Type".  Be sure to set that to "Color" ... and you should get color out of it then.

Occasional Collector
bntech
Message 3 of 5 (5,814 Views)

Well I completed removed the printer and reinstalled the printer using the Universal PS drivers.
This appeared to make it print in color, however now
As soon as the job reaches the printer, the "Attention" light starts blinking orange. 

The status window shows:
        MANUALLY FEED
        HP MATTE 16 LETTER

which changes over to:
       To use another
          tray press P

These toggle back and forth every couple of seconds.  As soon as you hit the "check" key, the job starts printing.  This happens on the test page, a PDF page and the DOC page.

Honored Contributor
TechPro
Message 4 of 5 (5,770 Views)

Set the paper type in the Printer Properties at the computer (or computers).  Make sure they are set to Plain (assuming you're using plain paper).

Occasional Visitor
FireSEA
Message 5 of 5 (289 Views)

I'm posting here as my company is experiencing a similar issue with a CLJ 3800n which won't print color from certain machines.

We recently replaced a large number of our machines. A few older Win7x64 machines which had the printer installed a year or more ago print color normally. All the new machines (which had the printer installed in April 2014) won't print color. Some additional facts:

• We are running a Windows 7x64 environment (with a server running Windows Server 2008R2) with all the latest Windows patches installed.
  • All computers (affected & unaffected) connect using a Standard TCP/IP port (generic network adapter), as the HP Standard TCP/IP port does not recognize the printer/network card.
  • For the affected computers, the test print is in black and white, and all files, regardless of type, print in black and white only, as well.
  • For the affected computers, the Color tab does not appear when viewing the Printing Preferences.
  • For the affected computers,  upgrading the printer driver to the latest HP Universal Print Driver PCL 6 had no effect.
  • For the affected computers, rolling back the driver to a previous version of PCL6 or PCL5 had no effect.
  • A firmware update was available for the printer and installed, but had no effect.
  • If you connect to the printer's web page on the local intranet and use the Information: Print tab or the Settings:Configure Device:Color band test, the printer will print color normally.
  • The printer's Restrict Color setting is Enable Color.

On one of the older machines which could still print color, the printer was uninstalled, then reinstalled using the latest Universal Print Driver (PCL6), at which point, it ceased printing in color. Rolling back the driver did not restore the ability to print color.

By comparing the test pages printed from the older computer that used to be able to print color before and after it stopped printing color, using the same driver version, I was able to identify a few of the accessory DLL libraries which differed between the print color and print only black phases, which are contrasted below:

hpbcfgre.dll           (1, 565, 1,1)<-printed color                 (1, 580, 1, 26821)<-prints black

hpmpm081.dll     (61.170.01.9321)<-printed color      (61.170.01.18326)<-prints black

hpmpw081.dll      (61.170.01.9321)<-printed color      (61.170.01.18326)<-prints black

Since the test page does not print all the accessory DLLs, there may be other such DLL version variations further down the list.

I will shortly attempt to see wha happens if I replace the newer DLLs with some of the older ones.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.