HP Color LaserJet 4700 Registration problem (565 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 6 (565 Views)

HP Color LaserJet 4700 Registration problem

Hi Everyone,

We have an out of warranty HP 4700 in our graphics department that is manifesting some vertical registration issues.  It is not just a matter of one cartridge being out of alignment, since it shows up to varying degrees on all five of the different diagnostic pages that I have printed out.

Additionally, it is not consistent throughout the page.  There can be levels vertically on the page where the lines are crisp and clear but then others that are extremely blurry.  To compound matters further, it does not happen with every page printed.

I have tried all of the calibration and maintenance features on the printer itself to no avail, as well as the HP troubleshooting apps online.  I have basically exhausted all of the other self help resources available.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be?  It has been recommended by someone in my group that we purchase a maintenance kit but that is just a new fuser and pickup rollers and are unlikely to be related to the issue IMHO.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

SLOEric

Trusted Contributor
Message 2 of 6 (554 Views)

Re: HP Color LaserJet 4700 Registration problem

A good routine Maint. with the kit just may do the trick for you.......

HP Pro
Message 3 of 6 (552 Views)

Are you able to see the same print quality issue If you print the internal test pages from printer (like configuration page, supplies status page, usage page, demo page etc.)

If the issue is visible with internal pages, kindly scan and attach all the above mentioned pages, so that we can understand the issue better & suggest further steps.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the Kudos star if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Occasional Visitor
Message 4 of 6 (549 Views)

Hello,

Thank you both very much for responding.  I neglected to post last night that we went ahead and replaced all four ink cartridges and that seems to have resolved the issue.  I am unable to tell which one that was actually problematic from the diagnostic pages, so it's a bit of a costly solution, but we do a lot of color printing so this isn't a huge problem.

At any rate, I'm waiting on the person who brought the issue to my attention to sign off that it has been resolved.  If I'm wrong and it has not, I will certainly take HP Pro's advice and post the diagnostic/demo pages up here for further investigation.

So, please stand by, I'll let you know.

Outstanding Contributor
Message 5 of 6 (545 Views)

Were these hp original toners or aftermarket. I have seen a lot of calibration issues on both the 46xx and 47xx series when using non hp toners.
Occasional Visitor
Message 6 of 6 (543 Views)

They were indeed aftermarket.  That may have been part of the problem.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.