HP Color Laser 4700n Keeps Prompting for Tray1 (3190 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Joe Green
Message 1 of 10 (3,190 Views)

HP Color Laser 4700n Keeps Prompting for Tray1

I have a two week old 4700N that keeps prompting to load letter in tray 1, the manual feed. Even printing an internal config page causes the "Attention" light to flash along with a prompt to load tray 1. I reset the printer to factory defaults and made sure it wasn't defaulting to that tray exclusively.

The only way to get it to print is to press the green arrow button twice for each page.

Thanks
Honored Contributor
Mark Froggatt
Message 2 of 10 (3,190 Views)

Re: HP Color Laser 4700n Keeps Prompting for Tray1

Joe
what paper size and type is set for tray 2 and are the driver setting set up to match the printer.

and are you selecting a size and type that is in the printer when you print

mark
Occasional Visitor
Joe Green
Message 3 of 10 (3,190 Views)

Letter's loaded in tray 2. Does it matter how the driver's setup as far as how an internal config page would print?

Thanks
Honored Contributor
Mark Froggatt
Message 4 of 10 (3,190 Views)

Joe

no just getting more information, on the config page what paper type and size set for the trays

mark
Advisor
Maeve Archeld
Message 5 of 10 (3,190 Views)

Hi Joe,

Print off a menu map. Look in the configure device area. You should be able to find a line that says "Manual feed prompt," see if it says "unless loaded" or "always" try choosing the other option. Will you be using this tray at all? You can also turn this tray completely off.

Maeve
Occasional Visitor
Jeremy Riley
Message 6 of 10 (3,190 Views)

I also have a brand new 4700n that keeps prompting me to load paper to tray 1, how do I change the default tray and/or disable tray 1? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 7 of 10 (3,190 Views)

It sounds to me as though you've got a conflict somewhere in this chain of Printer settings, Driver settings, and Application settings, or you simply may have not set them up yet.

For most models, this information is also in either the User Guide or the Software Technical Reference downloadable from HP for your model.

-Go to www.hp.com.
-Click the Support & Troubleshooting link.
-Select the radio button for See support and troubleshooting information.
-In the text box, enter "color laserjet 4700".
-Click the arrow button to the right of the text box.
-Select your specific model.
-Click the Manuals link.
-The one containing the phrase User Guide will be the most complete overall manual.
-The Software Technical Reference (may be more than one) will usually contain detailed information on driver configuration.

PRINTER SETTINGS: Form to tray (paper size and type settings) for each tray in the printer. Each tray should be set up for the specific size and type of paper. My 4700n, with a 3rd tray, has the following.
Tray 1 - Size letter, Type Glossy*.
Tray 2 - letter and plain.
Tray 3 - legal and plain.

*We use Tray 1 to print advertising bulletins, letter size, on glossy paper.

Note that Printer settings have the lowest priority if there's a conflict.

DRIVER SETTINGS: Driver settings override Printer settings if there's a conflict. PCL5c driver for my 4700n.

Open driver properties.

Go to the Device Settings tab first. Look at the settings in there to be sure they match the hardware you have on your printer. For example, since our 4700n normally comes with only a Tray 1 and Tray 2, when we added Tray 3 as an option, the driver showed Tray 3 as Not Installed. I had to change it to Installed in the Installable Options section of that tab. You also need to set the paper sizes for the trays to match what you've set in the printer. Since 95% of our printing to this printer are on legal size, plain paper, I set Printer Auto Select to legal. I then set the paper sizes for each tray to match what I had assigned in the Printer itself.

Then, you'll need to do this on both the Advanced tab, Printing Defaults button, and on the General tab, Printing Preferences button. Make them both match. This sets the default print job settings to what we most often print. Your settings may be different.
-Size is: Legal
-Source is: Printer Auto Select (for other printer model owners that may browse this post - use Printer Auto Select if it's a choice, and not Automatically Select unless Printer Auto Select is NOT a choice. Printer Auto Select directs print jobs to the correct tray, but experience shows that Automatically Select does not if Printer Auto Select is also a choice. If Printer Auto Select is not a choice on your printer model driver, then Automatically Select seems to work OK).
-Type is: Plain.

All this will set the default print values that print jobs should automatically use.

If you want to change values for a particular print job, you'll need to adjust them in the Application (Word, Excel, etc.)

APPLICATION SETTINGS: Application settings override both the Driver settings and the Printer settings if there's a conflict. I'm going to use Word as an example. Let's say you have my 4700n, with the printer and driver settings set as above. The default settings in Word for print jobs should match what I set in the driver properties. If I wanted to print from Word an advertising bulletin on glossy paper from Tray 1, I would do File, then Print in Word (my version is 2003). I would then click the Properties button. On the Paper/Quality tab, I would set:
-Size is: Letter.
-Source is: Tray 1.
-Type is: Glossy.
And send the print job. It will correctly print to the glossy paper in Tray 1.

One note on Applications. Some few applications may have default print settings that differ from the driver and printer settings or no default print settings at all. If so, they'll override what you've set up in the printer and the driver, and you'll see weird output or a message like you describe "load letter in tray 1". If that happens, check the print Properties or Page Setup or Printer setup properties in the Application to see what it's trying to do, and if necessary, modify them to match what you've already set up in the printer and driver.

The above is what I've found over years of trial and error to work best for me.

This differs a little bit from what's above, but it may be useful for you also:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=...

Pat
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 8 of 10 (3,190 Views)

And Joe, getting back to your initial quesion on Manual Feed.

Tray 1 is the fold down tray (you probably know that, but just in case).

In the context of what I posted above, you have "Manual Feed" set for Tray 1 in at least one of the following places, and you need to disable it.

IN THE PRINTER. Since you have a 4700n, the easiest way to adjust the settings is with Internet Explorer. Type the IP of the printer in the address bar, and Go.

Select the Settings tab.
Then the Configuration Button on the left.
Then the plus sign next to Configure Device on the right.
Then click on the word Printing.
Be sure "MANUAL FEED" is set to OFF.

If you prefer to do this from the control panel on the printer instead, print a Menu Map from the Information section. It will tell you where this setting is.

IN THE DRIVER. Either in Printing Defaults or Printing Preferences or both. You have Source is: set to "Manual Feed in Tray 1".

IN THE APPLICATION: The properties for the print job are telling the printer to use Manual Feed in Tray 1.

Jeremy - You either have the same setting or the alternative for Tray 1. There are 2:

If "Tray 1" is selected as the source, then the job will print from Tray 1 as long as the correct size and type paper is loaded in Tray 1. If it's empty, it will prompt for paper to be loaded in Tray 1.

If "Manual Feed in Tray 1" is selected as the source, then when you send the job, the printer will not proceed until you press the Checkmark green button. That gives you a chance to get to the printer and load the correct size/type paper in it before you press the button to continue the print job.

I should mention parenthetically that There is a setting for Tray 1 size and type that's any size, any type. If you're going to be printing on multiple sizes or types of paper on that printer, you can set Tray 1 to any size and any type, and then specify the paper type and size in the application print job properties. Then print to Manual Feed in Tray 1, go to the printer and load the paper, then press the checkmark button.

Pat
Occasional Visitor
JEG3301
Message 9 of 10 (3,190 Views)

Hey guys,

Here what I did to resolve the problem. I made manual changes at the printer in the "Paper Handling" Section by:
1. Under Tray 1 Size, I selected "Legal"

2. Under Tray 1 Type, I selected "Any Type"

3. Under Tray 2 Size, I selected "Letter"

4. Under Tray 2 Type. I selected "Plain"

After I made these changes, the printer is now automatically printing from the 2nd tray. Hope this helps.
Occasional Visitor
nick slavicek
Message 10 of 10 (3,190 Views)

you may also try pulling out tray 2 to get the printer to recognize the paper size -- then exiting out of that menu -- don't hit the check or it will change the paper type -- I tried to re set the paper size manualy but it would not work -- as sson as i pulled out the tray and pushed it back in it worked -- I think that when i added paper i hit the check mark which cause the whole issue -- hope that helps --
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.