HP C3980a Laserjet 6p Printer (1664 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Red207
Message 1 of 5 (1,664 Views)

HP C3980a Laserjet 6p Printer

It goes through it's cycle and then it turns orange at the paper jam warning stays lit. will not do a thing.

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 5 (1,656 Views)

Re: HP C3980a Laserjet 6p Printer

Does the motor turn while it is getting ready or after the light comes on when opening and closing the toner door.  If the motor does not turn, that would indicate a paper jam and the two most common places are at the fuser exit in the back and if you open the toner door and remove the toner cartrdige, there is a black plate held by one screw on the left side.  Remove the screw and wiggle the plate back and forth towards the rear of the printer and it will come out and see if there is a paper stuck there.  If the motor turns, then you may be having memory overflow issues.  Disconnect the printer from the computer and turn it off and then on.  If it comes to ready, delete anything in the printq and try printing with less dpi.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Red207
Message 3 of 5 (1,642 Views)

See i just got this printer. Like i said in my first post.it goes through it's cycle then it goes orange, like

it is in paper jam. when i got it it went to ready. i opened the back door at the fuser. the bottem roller was bad and the sleve was torn up at one end. i replaced the parts and now i have this. is it likely i made a mistake it replaceing the parts?

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 5 (1,630 Views)

[ Edited ]

Would have been nice if you told us this to start. Yes you probably did not reassemble the fuser correctly. There is a flag on the fuser that moves when paper goes thru it and I have a feeling the flag is stuck in the position as if paper is in the fuser.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Red207
Message 5 of 5 (1,620 Views)

You are very right. What happened was i had removed the power supply and in the back there is a two sided flag and i had put it back in wrong. when i seen my mistake i did it right

reinstalled every thing then before putting the cover on i pluged it in and held down the switch up on top she wen through her

cycle and remained green. then i installed the cover went through some simms i had installed 12 meg of memory. now she is working great with windows 7. i could not be happier. many thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation