HP 4250 - Modify Screen Message? (162 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Paul Nawrocki
Message 1 of 3 (162 Views)

HP 4250 - Modify Screen Message?

We have a networked HP 4250 with 10 users.  We use Tray 1 to print labels.  On occasion, we will have two or three users submit label print jobs at the same time.

Whe the job comes up, the printer screen reads "Load Tray 1 - Labels".  The problem is, we don't know whose job came up, so we don't know which size labels to load.  Often, we assume it is our job, load our labels, but it is someone else's job that prints on the wrong size labels, which must be discarded and the job resubmitted.... all of which is very annoying.

Is there a way that we can get the screen message to identify the user?  Ideally, we would like to have the message read "User xxxx Load Tray 1 Labels"?

If not, can we get custom printer firmware changed to do this?

Or is there an alternative way to do this?  Can we display the print queue on the printer screen to see whose job is printing?  (There isn't a PC close to the printer to do this on).

Thanks in advance for any help

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Oldscout
Message 2 of 3 (137 Views)

Re: HP 4250 - Modify Screen Message?

Call up the print Que on the computer screen it will give you r order of the jobs. This machine is to old for anything custom to be done with it.
Please use plain text.
HP Pro
Steve-HP
Message 3 of 3 (128 Views)

Re: HP 4250 - Modify Screen Message?

Try this to see if it helps you -

If you only have a small nmber of users, have them choose different media types in thier document - pick ones listed in the driver that are of similar density as labels - heavy weight, card or another type.

These types, when sent to the driver, set speed and temperature settings at the printer to allow fusing to occur properly for different media.

One user can send thier jobs - Tray 1 Load Label

Another could arrive - Tray 1 Load Card2  etc.

Give it a try,  that way each person can have a unique media type for thier labels and other users could then know which person sent it.

Update the firmware to the latest and install HP software - there are also places to add custom documents.

I dont know if this device has it but you could use Job Storage.  The dirver can send the job to the printer and wont print till its activated at the printer picking it out from the Job Storage menu.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation