HP 3330 error 79 - formatter board? (813 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Michael Whalan
Message 1 of 17 (813 Views)

HP 3330 error 79 - formatter board?

My HP 3330 multi function displays an error 79. None of the buttons are functional. I had the same problem when I first set up the machine after purchase three years ago.
A repair technician said it is a bad formatter board and said it is not worth fixing. He offered a small trade in value for a new Brother multifunction.
Any suggestions?
Honored Contributor
Lester Richardson
Message 2 of 17 (813 Views)

Re: HP 3330 error 79 - formatter board?

Hold the (*) button and the menu/enter button and power up the printer. When you see "Performing Initialization" release buttons.
Occasional Advisor
Michael Whalan
Message 3 of 17 (813 Views)

Thanks for your suggestion, but it didn't fix the problem. When I powered up holding the * and menu/enter buttons it came on beeping and with the message "Permanent Storage Init." I then released the buttons, it flashed for a while then came up with the Error 79 message again. Do you have any further suggestions or should I surrender to buying a new printer.
Valued Contributor
Natalie Lewis
Message 4 of 17 (813 Views)

Powercycle the printer, when it says scanner bulb warming up you need to quickly print a report to check the firmware. Here are the steps:

press menu/enter, press right arrow until reports and press enter, press right arrow until config report and press enter.

If the firmware datecode is less than 20021018 it needs to be updated. you can find the download on hp.com under software/driver downloads.
Occasional Advisor
Michael Whalan
Message 5 of 17 (813 Views)

Thanks for suggestion, but it is still not working. The keys are not functioning at all. It never says scanner bulb warming up and I can't print reports. I downloaded the newest software on June 30,2006 - version 5.5.2.051. I wonder if the new software caused the problem?

The technician said my formatter board may have been defective when I pruchased it since I got the error 79 message when I first set up the printer 3 years ago.

I have always had to unplug the printer and restart it periodically.

Unless there are some other suggestion, I'm afraid I will have to replace this printer.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 6 of 17 (813 Views)

Just replace the formatter yourself. It is very easy. Just open the left side door and it is held in place by about 6 screws or so. All cables are keyed. The board is not that expensive. You could contact HP OEM Parts resellers like Laser Pros:

888-558-5277, ext 122. Other resellers are:

Depot-america,
printerworks
etc.

Post back if you need help installing the formatter board.
For what is worth, I personally will stay away from Brother.

D.
Occasional Visitor
Balaji Selvaraj
Message 7 of 17 (813 Views)

hi chan and everyone in this session...
i too have the same problem...can you tell me, is modem and the formatter are the same?.. i opened my 3330 laserjet printer but i dont know where the formatter is???... any suggestions and replies are appreciated..
thanks,
bselvaraj
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 8 of 17 (813 Views)

Baleji:

Yes. The board where you plug the phone line and the printer cable is the formatter board.
I just stripped a LJ 3330 because it has consistent Scanner Warm up error and I need parts from it so I actually have a spare Formatter on my hands now. Cool.
D.
Occasional Advisor
Michael Whalan
Message 9 of 17 (813 Views)

Dewaine,
Thanks very much for your excellent suggestion. I checked the Laser Pro web site and saw a listing for a "scanner formatter" (Part # C8066-60002). Is this the right formatter part?
I looked inside my printer and if it is the large grey box, it should be an easy switch.
I will contact the suppliers that you suggested and see if they have the part.
Did you want to sell your formatter? Or have you already sold it?
Thanks again
Mike
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 10 of 17 (813 Views)

Sorry. I don't sell through thsi forum. I sell to local repair shops and store. I just hang around here and help people out. Not profitting from it.
I get all my parts from Laser Pros. That is just my personal choice. Other Techs hang arounds in this like other HP OEM parts resellers. I like Laser Pros because the Sale's executives are very good and knowledgable and the price is good in my opinion. Basically, all these OEM PArts resellers' price is very close to others. I know the Laser Pros number by heart because I get parts from them all the time. That is it. IF you want to get it from others I mentioned, just google for their number. If you call Laser Pros and tell the sale Executive that you need the formatter for teh LJ 3330, he will know exactly the right part for you. That is another reason why I like them too. I don't have to hunt down the P/N.

D.
Occasional Visitor
Balaji Selvaraj
Message 11 of 17 (641 Views)

hi chan,
thank you very much for your reply..inorder to make sure for my printer problem,i get the error 79:power on/power off.. i checked the forum website,they say that change the formatter.... is that the same for my case too.... i plugged out the modem and again plugged in,it says the same error, power on/power off...when i tried without connecting the modem it gives the same error.... so problem with modem or something else???
thanks,
bselvaraj
Occasional Advisor
Michael Whalan
Message 12 of 17 (641 Views)

Dewaine
I checked with Laser Pro and was told the formatter part number is C8542-60001 and costs $178. I'm not sure it would be wise to spend this much on the three year old printer, so unless I can locate the part for much less, I'll probably buy a new printer.
Your referral for Laser Pro was a very good one. They are excellent to work with.
Thanks
Mike
Occasional Visitor
Kevin Massey
Message 13 of 17 (641 Views)

This post may be a little late. But before
someone replaces an HP LJ 3330 MFP with any errors try this.

1. Clear the connecting computer of all
HP software, And I mean DELETE ALL HP Software. Even the hidden ones on C:\
drive.

2.Walk the scanner to the furthest scan
point just below the small scan glass by plugging and unplugging.(this takes about 30 seconds per inch)

3. Remove the small one piece plastic keeper
by removing the one screw on top.

4. Remove the small glass.

5. With a Q-Tip and rubbing Alchohol, clean
the scanner mirror by carefully dipping the cotton tip in rubbing alchohol and wiping
the mirror below the scanner bulb. More than likely there will be a blue film on the
mirror. It seems minor but its not.

6. Reinstall the small piece of glass, reinstall the small plastic keeper and the one screw.

7. Without plugging the machine into the computer, plug in the power.

8. If the machine powers on to normal state,
power it back down.If you still get the 79
Error STOP. Its the Formatter.

9. Download the Firmware upgrade.

8. With power off, plug the machine back into the computer and then power on the machine.

9. With the ORIGINAL Installation Disk,
Load the Software back onto your computer.
Reboot you computer with the CD still in
D drive or whatever drive label is your CD-Rom. Print a Test Page.

10. Load the Firmware upgrade TWICE and make sure the digital readout says Updating.

11. Reboot the machine and the computer and see if this does not stop the Error problem.

Hope this is helpful!
Occasional Advisor
Michael Whalan
Message 14 of 17 (641 Views)

Kevin,
Thanks for the suggestion, but when I power up the printer the scanner doesn't move at all, so I couldn't clean it. I'm still stuck on Error 79. I think I have to give up on this printer after 51,000 pages in 3 years of use.
Occasional Advisor
MICHAEL STANNARD
Message 15 of 17 (641 Views)

Hi everyone you could try three things step one try doing a scanner calibration through the user menu . Also i have found loose connector on drive board which is located on left hand side inside user accessible panel you must open front door first .
Occasional Advisor
Michael Whalan
Message 16 of 17 (641 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions. The buttons aren't functioning so I can't do the scanner callibration. Everything inside the left side of the unit seems tight and secure.
Any other suggetions?
Occasional Visitor
Judy Murduca
Message 17 of 17 (641 Views)

Hi -

Try this: You must do this in exact order.

1. OPEN FRON DOOR AND REMOVE CARTRIDGE

2. REMOVE PAPER TRAY

3. UNPLUG MACHINE.

4. WAIT 5 MINUTES

5. RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

6. REPLACE ALL IN ORDER, CARTRIDGE, TRAY, PLUG.

7. YOU MUST DO IT IN EXACT ORDER.

This has helped me numerous times.

Judy
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.