HP 2605dn - Door Open (4457 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Marillyn Ostrander
Message 1 of 13 (4,457 Views)

HP 2605dn - Door Open

I have an HP Color LaserJet 2605dn,
Serial #CNGC71C10Y. The Door Open indicator just came on, while I was working. The door was not opened and is not open now. I tried powering off and unplugging and disconnecting from the computer. The orange light is still flashing and the message is "Door Open". Any ideas on how I can remedy this problem.

Thanks for your input.

Marilyn
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 13 (4,457 Views)

Re: HP 2605dn - Door Open

I could be wrong on this one but on the left side of the door is a tab which sticks up and I think it depresses a switch on the dc controller located on the left side to tell the printer the door is closed. Make sure that tab has not broken off and it goes into the opening for that switch. If not that make sure the top cover is also firmly down and make sure the front cover is pressed in firmly. Just look on the left side of the frame as there should be a switch which has to be activated when the door is closed.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Julie Townsend
Message 3 of 13 (4,457 Views)

I have a similar issue with the door open indicator on with the door closed. This happened after I took the printer apart and cleaned the laser/mirrors because the cyan/red had faded. First I got the error 51.23 then 51.22 now door open. I have taken the printer apart and put it back together at least 10 times now. No Luck any ideas??

Julie
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
dtbain
Message 4 of 13 (4,457 Views)

I too am having just the same problem. Please help HP!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
dtbain
Message 5 of 13 (4,457 Views)

Was the problem ever solved Marillyn. If so, how?

Thanks

David
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
w yamakido
Message 6 of 13 (4,457 Views)

I have a 2605dn that wouldn't print red. After reading the forum a little, I down loaded Dave's (THANKS DAVE!) PDF file, took my printer apart, cleaned it up,( and yes, it didn't look like the mirrors were dirty, but cleaned them with monitor micro fiber cloths and Q-tips) and then reassembled. Then I got the dreaded 51.23 error message. I tried cold starting, recalibrating, putting the settings back to default...all to no avail. Reread the forum inputs(THANKS EVERYONE!), and then did what must be done. This time, however, it only took me about 30 minutes to take apart and reassemble everything. I'm pretty positive that the my error was in NOT seating the Laser/Scanner "box" in correctly. Also, the cables to this unit are easily pulled out when you are installing, so double-check that they're connected properly before continuing your reassembly. Double-Check all your connections. A screw missing here or there shouldn't be cause for any errors, it would be in the alignment of your casing or unattached cables. I hope this helps anybody. You all helped me immensely! Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MarinTrader
Message 7 of 13 (4,386 Views)

So my magenta was causing my reds to look faded out.  I found the "clean the mirrors" article online and got to work.  2 hours later, I was excited about having the printer together again.  I have worked on pc's for years but never attempted/needed to disassemble a laser printer.  I plugged in the power and let the 2605 power up.  I got an "Open Door" message.  I took it apart 3 times more before I realized what was causing the problem.  The switches that monitor the open condition on both doors (the one in the front where you would access the toners and the one at the top of the machine where you can clear paper jams) are located on the left side of the printer as you look at the unit from the front.  If you pop on the side panel on the left side without assuring that the front door switch is in the correct position, you will get the open door error message.  At least this was the my experience.

I found that if  you open the front door before you pop on the left side cover, the switch will line up easily and not be jammed up by a tab on the side cover.   I was popping the side cover on while the front door was in the closed position.  Once I realized my mistake, I left the front door open while adding the left side cover.  A few minutes later, I was basking in my handy work. 

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
dwainw
Message 8 of 13 (3,722 Views)

One easy mistake that can lead to the 'Door Open' error is that the third white ribbon connector from the top (on the right side of the rear controller board) conceals a mounting screw.  I had tested the printer before fully reassembling it, but I disconnected this ribbon to install that center right hand mounting screw, and forgot to reinsert the ribbon cable on the board.  After reassembling the printer, I received the 'Door Open' message because the ribbon was not in place.  Fortunately I found my mistake before tearing everything back down.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
R2D2-KJ
Message 9 of 13 (3,580 Views)

Poss soln to the dreaded DOOR OPEN problems I’ve read about lingering after steps to fix red problem dust on mirrors. This was cause for door open problem on mine. If the 4 edge connectors appear to be connected, all pins on all connectors still may not be making contact correctly. Under mag glass I found a short on 3rd connector down I think it was, two silver tin-looking ‘pins’ had been connected together, these are made of soft metal surface strips not metal completely through. Damaging them can happen easily inserting/removing the ‘data’ edge connectors, best use for these in EE design is for once on/not many if any remove/replace cycles. Appeared on mine some of the tin/connector stuck/oxidized to metal on board socket connector causing less contact avail for next insertion. I used an exacto/box knife to run down middle of these two pins to remove the metal chafing that was causing the short power up no more door open

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
jthom
Message 10 of 13 (1,322 Views)

On the left side cover at the top you will see a black piece of plastic. That is a stop for the door sensor. The sensor is behind the large circuit board. The plunger should be pulled forward and the stop fits in the groove of the plunger.

I found my plunger jammed back and the side cover stop was in front of the plunger.  It is as big as your finger is wide.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
roy Hanson
Message 11 of 13 (874 Views)

we just developed this DOOR OPEN problem, its not the actuator/plunger on the left side. Further in, because of the smell of something burning during last start up.

thanks for your direction on where to find the circuit. I think we burned it.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
roy Hanson
Message 12 of 13 (841 Views)

if no success with door open, plunger at left side of printer on the HVPS.

the transformer on the power supply needs replacement.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
roy Hanson
Message 13 of 13 (828 Views)

negate previous post, when turning on the printer, printer comes to READY, then immediately goes into DOOR open.

TBA continues to be worked on. This was after the Laser scanner lens were cleaned. Use a foam swab lightly spritzed with water.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation