HP 2600N black printing - uses all 4 cartridges? (3136 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1396240
Message 1 of 7 (3,136 Views)

HP 2600N black printing - uses all 4 cartridges?

I am getting conflicting answers from HP on this problem.
I have been advised that when using this Laser 2600N for black and white only, that it is also using the 3 color cartridges as well. If this is true, it obviously will seriously impact the cost of printing.
HP verbal answer #1 was to print in greyscale only and this will have printer use only the black cartridge.
HP written answer from the HP Commercial Solutions Center on a user-written review on the 2600N states that: "that when printing in Grayscale, it utilizes all the cartridges to produce black. This is a normal behavior".
Today I phoned back to HP to try and get answer #3 and was told to use greyscale and modify the driver when installing to tell the printer to use only the black cartridge when printing black and white. This answer was given after
being left on hold while the techie was getting his answer from higher up. His hesitation when telling me this leads me to question my belief
in the answer.

The retailer suggested I try and burn through the cartridges within the 15 day store return period to see if the colour cartridges are used...!!!!

My question to everyone who has this printer is whether or not they have heard of this and what is the true answer?

Like most, 90% of my printing will be black and white. If I have to replace color cartidges as well as the black, this printer will be enormously expensive.

Thank you all for your answers.
Occasional Visitor
aftab ghani
Message 2 of 7 (3,136 Views)

Re: HP 2600N black printing - uses all 4 cartridges?

sir/madam
i have four cartridges in the printer three red yellow blue are printing but black color not appear on the paper
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 3 of 7 (3,136 Views)

Print engines like this one cannot separate black toner cartridge operations from the other three colors. All drums must turn whether toner is applied to the page or not. Each has a drum chip monitoring the number of turns of the drum (among other things). Drum turns limit cartridge life since the drum blade continues to wipe the OPC drum coating, independent of toner applied. In fact, drum wear accelerates when little or no toner transfers to it due to lack of drum lubricant provided in toner itself.

Grayscale or not, color cartridges reach end of life right along with the black. If you print mostly black, either get a color printer which operates the black toner independently from the color cartridges, such as 3500/3550/3700, 3000/3600/3800, or 4700 series. Or get a black-only printer for the 90% of you printing.

You might be able to extend the life of cartridges by using the override function available through the menu structure: Select REPORTS, SYSTEM SETUP, PRINT QUALITY, REPLACE SUPPLIES, and change the "Stop at Out" to "Override Out." I am unsure, but think that this is your way out. But remember, when cartridge OPC wears out or toner actually runs dry, you will see wild color shifts or color maps go away.
Occasional Visitor
CVASchmidt
Message 4 of 7 (3,136 Views)

The printer only underprints black toner with color toner if you select "4-color" in the "Neutral Grays" popup menu in the "Color Options" pane of the Print dialog. Only the rare user will want to do this, and probably only for presentations or proofs, and it's not the default.

The 2600n insists you buy new toner cartridges after 2500 pages only if you leave the "Replace Supplies" setting on the default, "stop at out". (This setting is for people who don't want to mess with stretching out supplies at the cost of declining print quality, or for those who aren't good at spotting when a color is getting thin.)

But you can turn off this behavior as follows:

Page 94 of the User Guide has the following instructions for those who would like to use the toner beyond their replacement time:
Configuration
Cartridge Out Override can only be enabled from the printerâ s control panel menu.
1. From the main menu, press (RIGHT ARROW) to System setup and press (SELECT).
2. Press (RIGHT ARROW) to Print quality and press (SELECT).
3. Press (RIGHT ARROW) to Replace supplies and press (SELECT).
4. Press (RIGHT ARROW) to Override out and press (SELECT).
5. Press (SELECT).
If Stop at out is selected, the printer will stop printing when a cartridge reaches the
recommended replacement point. If Override out is selected, the printer will continue
printing when a cartridge reaches the recommended replacement point. The factory default
setting is Stop at out.

My color cartridges are at 3452 pages, with no apparent decline in print density.
Occasional Visitor
D Narrs
Message 5 of 7 (3,136 Views)

Color cartridges are out of ink. I set the over ride to override out and the printer still will not print. Why not?
Occasional Visitor
john hollen
Message 6 of 7 (3,136 Views)

Thank you to CVASchmidt - absolutely clear instructions that worked the very first time.

I had three color cartridges that showed "empty" and the 2600n printer stopped dead. The black cartridge is half full, and I'm back in business.

Hope you have a very enjoyable Holiday Season, including "CHRISTMAS" for those of us who hate being politically correct.

:-)
Occasional Visitor
fsoudbakhsh
Message 7 of 7 (2,221 Views)

Yhank you to CVASchmidt - It also works for me the first time very clear instructions. I was going to spend $50 on this printer to buy 2 more cartridges.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.