Fixing fading magenta from 2600n toner cartridge (344 Views)
Occasional Advisor
SriRachah
Message 1 of 10 (344 Views)

Fixing fading magenta from 2600n toner cartridge

I was able to single out the magenta toner cartridge on the 2600n as the culprit for the faded prints (and not the printer itself)

What could be bad inside the reman magenta toner cartridge such that it only prints a bit on the right (1/3rd the way) and leaves no print the remaining length of the cartridge?

Could the drum(s) inside the cartridge be bad?

Which of the drums could be at fault and will I be able to fix it by cleaning?

I have handson electronics knowledge if that can be put to use (so I can check for resistance of the wiper blade etc)

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 10 (337 Views)

Re: Fixing fading magenta from 2600n toner cartridge

Odds are it is not the toner cartridge. Did you replace with another to verify. I have had over 100 of these and in all cases with the fading magenta it was the laser/scanner dusted over on the inside that causes the issue. If you want the fix for that post back.
Occasional Advisor
SriRachah
Message 3 of 10 (333 Views)

I fixed the mirrors and replaced the magenta toner with black and did a test engine print.

A clean black line appears.

This indicates that the magenta toner is bad, right?

Further:

1. How do I disable enhanced print? I have windows 7 and don't have copy of the HP software required. Is it possible to disable enhanced print option (I know this is enabled by looking at the bottom of the config page)

2. How does the printer communicate with the chip on the cartridge?

Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 4 of 10 (322 Views)

The question would be if it's an official HP cartridge or not, if it is then until the cartridge says toner low it's warrantied for defect, if you're confident it's the cartridge then I would be getting an exchange from either the 3rd party supplier or HP as required.

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 10 (315 Views)

How did you use the black toner cartridge in the magenta slot. This printer does not have a diagnostics mode where you can swap the toners. I guess you could swap the memory chip and it might work as I have not, but tell us how you did it.
Occasional Advisor
SriRachah
Message 6 of 10 (306 Views)

DavidZuts wrote:
How did you use the black toner cartridge in the magenta slot. This printer does not have a diagnostics mode where you can swap the toners. I guess you could swap the memory chip and it might work as I have not, but tell us how you did it.

The color sensors are connected to the CPU and so, any operations going through the CPU will disallow printing when you mismatch the cartridge with the color it's supposed to be.

If you look at the functional diagram in the service manual, you will see that the "test engine print" button by the DC board bypasses the CPU.

Hence, to be able to use a cartridge of a different color, the only way is to use the "test engine print" button.

I replaced the magenta toner with black and did a test engine print.

A clean black line appears.

If you want scans of the test printouts to be double sure let me know.

Anyways, this indicates that the faded print with the magenta toner is the cartridge's fault, right?

Further:

1. How do I disable enhanced print? I have windows 7 and don't have copy of the HP software required. Is it possible to disable enhanced print option (I know this is enabled by looking at the bottom of the config page)

2. How does the printer communicate with the chip on the cartridge?

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 10 (299 Views)

Just out of curiosity, did you put the magenta in the black slot and what was the condition of the magenta lines.
Occasional Advisor
SriRachah
Message 8 of 10 (296 Views)

[ Edited ]

DavidZuts wrote:
Just out of curiosity, did you put the magenta in the black slot and what was the condition of the magenta lines.

Faded to the right.

Here are the scans of the test printouts to clear all confusion:

1. All toners in the proper order: http://i.imgur.com/vogZS6t.jpg

2. Swapping Magenta and Black: http://i.imgur.com/EpUWiDa.jpg

3. All colors swapped: http://i.imgur.com/oV9VX1h.jpg

Note that the Cyan and Black prints  well (Yellow is running out actually) and the Magenta toner just looks like it needs some fixing (you tell me what to do)

I put these and more scans up here: http://imgur.com/a/POvWu#0

.. however, the questions (#1 and #2) remain

Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 9 of 10 (276 Views)

You have isolated the issue to the magenta cartridge, replace it and then test.

The one question not answered, are these genuine HP ?

Yellow is low and showing similar drop out so there seems to be a lot of effort printing and running the tests to come to the same conclusion each time ?

By your swap test you have elminiated the laser fade and the fault follows the cartridge so it should be just a case of getting an exchange if it's under warranty or a new one and confirming operation.

As for the new post tagged onto this, the laser clean is documented in this file, it's copyrite Don Thompson's servce seminars so if they request the file is removed we'll have to oblige. I believe it's been posted on here many times before though.

Normally the repair costs nothing more than time but you will restore functionality .

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
Occasional Advisor
SriRachah
Message 10 of 10 (257 Views)

Fixed.

I solved the issue by taking the cartridge apart and cleaning the developer roller sleeve.

It had a thin film of some kind of fluid at the right half of the roller but a clean tissue solved it.

I would not like to go into reman this cartridge though: it's better to buy a quality reman given the amount of effort involved.

I will post scans of the latest test prints if anyone cares.

ONE ISSUE remains: The black toner is off from the other by a hairline. I have done multiple calibrations both through system and 2ndary service menu but it does not go away.

Any thoughts?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.