Connecting a Laserjet 5M to network via router (584 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Johan Rudborg
Message 1 of 13 (584 Views)
Accepted Solution

Connecting a Laserjet 5M to network via router

I am a novise at networks. I have a network with a router and three computers. Recently I bouth a used LaserJet 5M with network card. How do I set this up? I have connected a network cable between printer and router, but I cannot find the printer anywhere on the network. I have no setup disc, but downloaded driver from HP. Please if someone could give me a walk-through step-by-step I would be very happy
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
CA653164
Message 2 of 13 (584 Views)

Re: Connecting a Laserjet 5M to network via router

What computer OSes are you using?
Assuming the printer is functional, on either Windows or Mac, you would best be TELLING the OS where the printer IS (its IP address), rather than trying to "find" the printer from the OS.

First you have to see if the printer has a functioning MIO card (the internal Ethernet card). Print a JetDirect configuration page, and look for the IP address, subnet , and default gateway entries. If they are there, they'll tell you if your printer is getting them from YOUR network, via DHCP, or if the printer was assigned fixed addresses for the LAST network it was used on, which would have to be cleared.

Let's see what you see, then we know what to do next. Reply with the IP address, subnet and gateway that your printer reports. Also, provide the same info from one ot two of your computers.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Johan Rudborg
Message 3 of 13 (584 Views)

Thank you for your reply. I am running XP Home. On Self Test page it sais IP no 10.46.20.132 which is not part of my network (starts with 192.168.0.1xx). How do I change this? The network card in the printer is "JetDirect". I have tried to download Web JetAdmin but cannot find the printer through that. If the card is functioning or not I do not know...

Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Johan Rudborg
Message 4 of 13 (584 Views)

... subnet mask on test page is 255.255.255.240 and def gateway 10.46.20.129.

I do not know how to find subnet on my computer, but on the router it is 255.255.255.0.
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
CA1029997
Message 5 of 13 (584 Views)

Disconnect the printer from the network. Reset the JetDirect to factory defaults by holding the "Go" button while turning on the printer. The display will say "Cold Reset."
After this, if successful, it will display an address of 0.0.0.0. or 169.254.xxx.xxx or 192.0.0.192. on the config page.

If this works, reconnect it to the network and wait for it to get a DHCP address, which will 192.168.0.1xx for your network.

If this works, the config page will also show the subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and your default gateway, which is the router's address.

In XP, you see this info by going to Start-Run, typing "cmd" without the quotes. This takes you to the command prompt. Type "ipconfig /all", without the quotes. You'll see the IP configuration for the computer. Subnet mask and default gateway addresses are the same for every device on your network.

If the printer is successful in getting a valid DHCP address for your network, you can now add it to Windows printers. If it does not get turned off, and if your router does not go down, its address will not change and you can leave well enough alone.

The reason for assigning the printer a static (fixed) address (using Web JetAdmin)is so that its address will not change after a network outage, power outage, or being turned off for too long. Then you would not have to change its address in the printer's properties in Windows.

Be methodical!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Johan Rudborg
Message 6 of 13 (584 Views)

Wow - thank you SOOO much. I had no idea of the "locked" ip-adress feature or how to reset it.

I now can see my printer on the network! BUT I still cannot add it as a new printer. When adding network printer in XP I only get a list of shared printers connected direct to the computers - nowhere do I get the network printer. I try writing the IP adress of the network printer in the boxes "Name" or "URL" but that does not work.

What do I need to do to actually add the network printer. It IS there and have received an IP adress, and my "Look@Lan" program reports it as connected, so does my router config, so...

This is hopefully the last time I need help on this issue.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 7 of 13 (584 Views)

Check the following Document out and follow teh steps to ad the printer using Standard TCP/IP port.

D.
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
CA1029997
Message 8 of 13 (584 Views)

That document DeWaine sent you to is okay as far as it goes, but....

When you are asked if you want to share the printer, say "NO". You won't be "sharing" the printer from the computer. The printer is a free-standing network device.
Be methodical!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Johan Rudborg
Message 9 of 13 (584 Views)

A REALLY big thank you to Dewaine and Norman for taking your time. Your easy-to-follow steps helped me with a task that I would never have accomplished on my own!!! Fantastic.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Johan Rudborg
Message 10 of 13 (584 Views)

Now I only have a problem with the printed output - no graphics are printed, only text. But I'm sure there is a logical explanation to this, so I will have a go at it...
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 11 of 13 (484 Views)

Just go into printer's properties and turn on Page protection under Advance Tab.

D.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
KJELL ANDERS Greibeslan
Message 12 of 13 (484 Views)

Hi

I followed the outline on how to connect a laserjet with network card to a router and everything worked well until tonight. It appears that the printer changed it's ip adress to 192.168.0.5, from original 192.168.0.4 when I initially installed the printer. I tried to coldstart and reconnect to the network, but it still comes back with 192.168.0.5. I only have four ports in my Netgear printerserver/router. Does anybody know how to address this issue?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sarah kelly
Message 13 of 13 (484 Views)

I just wanted to say thanks to those who replied. Your information was helpful to me also. :-)
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation