Connecting a Laserjet 4 via USB using Windows 7 (2583 Views)
Occasional Visitor
andrew schnitgen
Message 1 of 4 (2,583 Views)

Connecting a Laserjet 4 via USB using Windows 7

I need help connecting an old, but very reliable, Laserjet 4 to my new Dell PC (which does not have a parallel port!). Here's what I've already tried: connect the printer with a parallel to USB cable. "Add a Printer" from the Devices and Printer menu. I selected local printer, use an existing port, USB001 virtual printer port, selected the printer from the choices, and tried to print a test page. The test page did not print. I'm not sure if the issue is a hardware problem (I've never tried connecting this printer via USB), or a Windows 7 driver issue. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Occasional Visitor
gwhicks
Message 2 of 4 (2,562 Views)

Re: Connecting a Laserjet 4 via USB using Windows 7

I am also struggling to get my LaserJet 4 printing via USB.

I have downloaded the driver from Windows Update and my Win7 PC sees it. However, when I click on the "Print Test Page" button, the printer's light flashes three times and then nothing happens. No documents are shown in the printer's queue either.

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 3 of 4 (2,548 Views)

Half the time those usb to parallel adapters do not work.  Just the nature of the beast.  Keep in mind drivers need to be loaded for the adapter and not just the printer.  Most times windows does this automatically but somethines things go wrong.  Another option if you have a network go on ebay and look for a MIO network card like J2550B or J2552B and use ethernet to connect the printer.

Occasional Visitor
gwhicks
Message 4 of 4 (2,540 Views)

I GOT MY LASERJET 4 WORKING WITH USB ON WINDOWS 7!

Check out svtdot's post here: http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/6192-hp-laserjet-4-driver-3.html

I think it was the "Cold Reset" that did it.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PRINTER! :)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.