Configuring LaserJet 4350 jetdirect with 801g WEP (670 Views)
Occasional Collector
boxman
Message 1 of 5 (670 Views)
Accepted Solution

Configuring LaserJet 4350 jetdirect with 801g WEP

I'm trying to configure a laserjet 4350p printer to a network with an Actiontec GT701 wireless router and a group of computers running 801g, configured with simple WEP security. (Most of the computers are running Windows 7 pro.)
The 4350 has an embedded Jetdirect J7949E updated to recent firmware, version  V.33.25.FF
When I manually configure the printer's I/O, and enter the router's IP address, I don't know how to then enter the WEP security code (10 numerals/letters). As a result, the printer initially showed "Ready," and a default address of "169.254.__.__" on the ready screen. After a restart it shows nothing but "ready."
When I check the manual configuration of the printer, the router's ip address is shown correctly, as is the subnet mask. But I don't know how to enter a WEP code. Can anybody tell me how to add my WEP security code to the manual configuration?
Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 5 (662 Views)

Re: Configuring LaserJet 4350 jetdirect with 801g WEP

I think you are a bit confused here. The printer if connected to the router does not need a security code. Only devices which connect using wireless need to enter the code to access the network. The printer is a fixed device on the network which should become available to anyone once they connect to the network. If you perform a cold reset of the printer the router should assign it an ip address within you network frame.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
boxman
Message 3 of 5 (658 Views)

Thanks for the reply. 

Confused, I certainly am. Especially when it comes to wireless networking. I was hoping to connect the printer, wirelessly, to the router. Then, in turn, various computers wirelessly to the printer.

Do I necessarily have to string cable between the router and the printer?

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 5 (654 Views)

Yes you do. The printer is not wireless! There are wireless printers out there but this is not one of them. Since you have the router just hardwire the printer to it. If that is not practical then your only other option is to get an external wireless network adapter where the printer will connect to it and the device will connect to the wireless network.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Collector
boxman
Message 5 of 5 (650 Views)

Well, that certainly explains my problem!

Obviously, I thought the jetdirect would connect wirelessly. Just as obviously, I was wrong.

Thanks again, DavidZuts, for taking the time to set me straight.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation