Color LaserJet 2600n - shadowing on printouts (4827 Views)
Occasional Visitor
K Jay
Message 1 of 21 (4,827 Views)
Accepted Solution

Color LaserJet 2600n - shadowing on printouts

We recently bought an HP Color LaserJet 2600n printer - we frequently get print "shadowing" along the sides of our printout - we've replaced the toner - that didn't help - we frequently choose the 'Cleaning Mode' - that doesn't help - Any suggestions?
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 2 of 21 (4,827 Views)

Re: Color LaserJet 2600n - shadowing on printouts

If possible, please scan a Config Page and attach it for us to see.

To run Config Page:
Press Select Key (check mark) TWICE, Right Arrow key TWICE, Select

Come on back. . .
Occasional Visitor
K Jay
Message 3 of 21 (4,827 Views)

I ran a Config page but cannot attach it for you to see - is there anything specific you were looking for and I'll just type to you want's printed on the config page. Thanks for your help.
Occasional Advisor
Kirstin McDonald
Message 4 of 21 (4,827 Views)

We're also having this same issue. The printer is only 1 year old. Would the fuser die that quickly? That appears to be the problem for us. We have shadows appearing every 2.25 inches.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 5 of 21 (4,827 Views)

Kristen,
Sure looks to be a repeat from the fuser sleeve. Tell us about the toner cartridges you are using. HP OEM? Compatibles?

K Jay,
See if your Config Page looks like the one in the attachment.
Occasional Advisor
Kirstin McDonald
Message 6 of 21 (4,827 Views)

We use only OEM products from HP. The config page does the same thing but only along the edges of the page. The repeating images fade towards the middle of the page.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 7 of 21 (4,827 Views)

Kristin,
You will probably need a fuser replacement. Figure about an hour on this model, since it requires removing covers. Fuser part number is RM1-1820.
Occasional Visitor
K Jay
Message 8 of 21 (4,827 Views)

Don - I compared my config page with the one you attached and the ONLY differences were in the product information section, network settings, page counts (of course), and status log. Is there something specific in one of these sections that your looking for?
Thanks for your help.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 9 of 21 (4,827 Views)

K Jay,
No shaddowing on your Config Page? Shaddowing occurs intermittently? Standard bond paper? Heavy stock? Any toner on the belt?
Occasional Visitor
K Jay
Message 10 of 21 (4,827 Views)

Don - sorry about that - I thought you were looking for a particular setting on the config page.... There wasn't any shadowing on the config page and actually the shadowing is intermittent. The paper we use is 24lb... as recommended by HP for this printer (I think). Thanks.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 11 of 21 (4,740 Views)

Unsure where to go with this from here. . .intermittent problems are difficult.
Occasional Visitor
K Jay
Message 12 of 21 (4,740 Views)

Don - Thanks for your help... one more quick question.. when you asked 'Toner on the belt' - are you talking about the large device on the inside front that's exposed when you open the printer to install the new cartridges? If not, where is the belt you are referring to? Thanks again.
r x
Occasional Visitor
r x
Message 13 of 21 (4,740 Views)

Hi i´ve printed the config page and my magenta color is 2mm at the right according to the other colors, what could be the problem in my printer?

thanks in advance!
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 14 of 21 (4,740 Views)

rx,
Try Calibrate Now. . .
Press Select (Check mark key), Right Arrow, Select, Right Arrow TWICE, Select TWICE, Right Arrow, and finally Select. Run Config Page again and evaluate. If closer, but not quite perfect, try Calibrate Now again.
Occasional Advisor
Mike Targgart
Message 15 of 21 (4,740 Views)

I have a customer that was having the same issue. We replaced the fuser since the printer was over two years old. It helped, but it was still ghosting black text down the page on the first printed page from the printer control panel such as a cleaning page or configuration page. When printing from the computer, it does not ghost. We even tried another HP toner cartridge with the same result.

I am thinking it is either a power supply issue where the fuser is not getting hot quick enough (which doesn't explain why it doesn't ghost from computer print jobs) or a firmware issue that some how controls the fuser temperature when printing from different sources.

Just talked to customer to follow up and they have been using it for the last two weeks with no problems. Not sure what to make of the issue, but as long as they are not having problems I'm considering it closed. Unfortunately, these printers aren't worth dumping a lot of money into to find out what is actually wrong. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Occasional Advisor
Kirstin McDonald
Message 16 of 21 (4,740 Views)

Just FYI~

We replaced the fuser assembly and the ghosting disappeared. Unfortunately, the Cyan is now misaligned and can't seem to right itself, no matter how many calabrations we run.

We have 25 of these machines on campus now and for the most part they're great. But when one goes bad, it never seems to recover.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 17 of 21 (4,740 Views)

Try a cold reset, followed by full calibration.
See the attachment for the cold reset procedure.
Occasional Visitor
Lanie House
Message 18 of 21 (4,740 Views)

This happened to me, but only on card stock or other thicker paper. If I choose card stock paper from the properties box, the shadowing doesn't occur. Hope this helps~
Occasional Advisor
Kirstin McDonald
Message 19 of 21 (4,740 Views)

Don T: tried cold resetting several times. No change.

K Jay: tried setting paper to card stock and, what do you know!, it worked. It's slow as molasses in January, but at least the color looks good. Any idea what's going on??
Honored Contributor
Lester Richardson
Message 20 of 21 (4,740 Views)

This is a constant problem with the CLJ 2600. Parts will not correct problem. I have had more success with changing driver settings or print quality settings in the EWS. Go to the driver's color tab. Set color to manual. Change settings from RGB to Vivid, and from smooth to detail. I might have these reversed. Perform a printer factory reset. Also, I had one customerwho switched to 24lb paper and ghosting went away.
Occasional Visitor
John Lafornara
Message 21 of 21 (4,604 Views)

For what it's worth there is a "DC Controller Firmware Update" located at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

The description reads "This DC controller firmware update is only for the HP Color LaserJet 2600n printer. This utility can be run only from Windows operating systems (see system requirements below). This update should be applied if the printer is experiencing fuser offset (a.k.a ghosting)."

We're also having this issue here. I haven't applied this patch yet, but it sure sounds like it should work!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.