Re: Cannot install networked HP 1320 on Windows 8.1 (1359 Views)
Occasional Visitor
PaulCornelius
Message 1 of 3 (1,409 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot install networked HP 1320 on Windows 8.1

I have Windows 8.1 on a LAN, and an HP LaserJet 1320 PCL6 printer is attached to another machine on the network.  The printer appears in the "Network" thingy on Explorer just like it's supposed to, so the network connection is OK.  I downloaded the latest UPD driver from HP as recommended.  I unzipped and installed the driver with no problem.   When I try to install the printer, Windows first searches the ridiculous "Windows update service" until it finally realizes that there's nothing useful there (I realized this 10 years ago).  Then it prompts me to provide the pathname of the driver's INF file, and I do so.  So far, so good.

Then I immediatly get a dialog box saying that Windows can't find a driver.  I am using 5.7.0 of the UPD driver for 64-bit Windows.  Any known problems here?  Any fix?

One weird thing is that the driver says "PCL 5" but the printer is "PCL 6."  Is this a problem?

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 3 (1,374 Views)

Re: Cannot install networked HP 1320 on Windows 8.1

This is a typical problem that started with windows 7. There is an easy solution. Just load the printer on the windows 8 computers using the add printer and use local printer and choose port lpt1 for now and do not use autodetect or print a test page. After the printer is loaded go into the properties of the printer and choose the item port and then add port and in the box that comes up enter the computer name and the share name of the printer from the other computer using the syntax \\computername\sharename When done say ok and apply. The computer name is the name of the computer on the network that has the printer attached and the sharename is the share name given that printer on that computer.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
PaulCornelius
Message 3 of 3 (1,359 Views)

Re: Cannot install networked HP 1320 on Windows 8.1

Thanks very much for your help.  Actually that weird rigmarole has been around since XP.

For the record, this wasn't the problem.  The printer was actually on a networked print server, but Windows8 always insists on trying to detect everything automatically.  It found an instance of the same printer that had been "shared" by another computer on the network, and kept insisting that this was my only choice.  The missing ingredient was setting up the print queue and port on my own desktop, which has to be done explicitly.  Your post caused me to realize that I had to punch down through Windows 8's new Anti-Productivity-Layer (the "Experience") to the actual nuts and bolts underneath.  However dreadful that often is, it at least has the virtue of familiarity.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation