Cannot Get Vista to Install HP LaserJet 5P Driver (504 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Allan Hirt
Message 1 of 7 (504 Views)

Cannot Get Vista to Install HP LaserJet 5P Driver

Hello.

I know that Vista ships with the LaserJet drivers (and they are located in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\prnhp001.inf_5641fa75). When I try to install the printer via Add Printer, or under the Drivers tab of Print Server Properties, I get this error:
Unable to find a core driver package that is required by the printer driver package.

Going through the INF and then the REgistry, it looks like {D20EA372-DD35-4950-9ED8-A6335AFE79F2} is not configured under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Print\PackageInstallation\Windows NT x86\CorePrinterDrivers and is not getting configured as part of the driver install. At least that's what I think is happening.

Any ideas? I've also tried pnputil.exe to force ntprint.inf to install that core package with no luck.

I've also tried adding the core driver and the HP print driver manually to the registry myself by duplicating the other entries and trying to figure out what goes where, building cabs, etc. I think I got close - I am not getting errors - but I'm obviously missing something. Attached is a pic of what I configured.

The error I get when I tried to print after manually manipulating the registry is:
Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance? operation could not be completed (error 0x00000057).

I'm at my wits end. Help!
Occasional Visitor
Allan Hirt
Message 2 of 7 (504 Views)

Re: Cannot Get Vista to Install HP LaserJet 5P Driver

A bit more info ... I even went out and bought a USB to Parallel cable (I normally use this over a network) to force Vista to recognize the printer and install the driver. No go.
Occasional Visitor
Allan Hirt
Message 3 of 7 (504 Views)

I tried one final thing. I tried the lj631en drivers for XP and those would not install either.
Frequent Advisor
Michael B Kha
Message 4 of 7 (504 Views)

Hi,

If you are using a par to usb cable, chances are this will not work due to the communication. I have seen it work but rare. You can always try the HP 4 Plus driver built into Windows Vista.

Mike
Occasional Visitor
Allan Hirt
Message 5 of 7 (504 Views)

Please re-read my original post. The problem happens with or without a USB to Parallel cable - both end up in the same result.

I clearly state I know the HP driver is in Vista. Vista is not installing it. I get the same problem with ANY print driver that comes with Vista.
Honored Contributor
Pat Flanagan
Message 6 of 7 (504 Views)

Allan,

You are correct that the driver is included in Vista. That's going to be the only one, though, because HP isn't planning to write a Vista driver for this printer (see footnote 5).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00808536#N3497

I'm confused about one thing. I don't think this printer model has a USB port, but I could be wrong. I also don't think Vista machines come with LPT ports, but again, I could be wrong. Please elaborate on "The problem happens with or without a USB to Parallel cable".

FYI: USB to parallel conversion cables/adaptors seem to have about a 50/50 success rate according to posts I've read here.

If you don't have a parallel port on your PC, one thought that I'm not sure would be compatible with Vista, but I know you can buy PCI add-in cards with an LPT port. If there's one available compatible with Vista, I'd suggest trying that.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=134217

Pat
Occasional Visitor
Allan Hirt
Message 7 of 7 (504 Views)

You guys keep latching onto the wrong thing. I only tried the USB to Parallel thing to see if it would have a different result. My HP 5P is hooked up as a network printer, but I was trying to force Vista to recognize it. It saw it, but I got the same error.

I cannot get Vista to install the printer due to Vista not having one of the core driver components installed, and I can't find a way to get Vista to do it. This happens if I try to install any printer that has a driver included on the original installer whether it is HP or any another manufacturer.

The only printers I've gotten to install are the ones that MS has on their Update site.

So I appreciate the help, but you're missing what I'm trying to solve. I know which core driver is missing. If someone has a way to force VIsta to install the core drivers, let me know.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.