CP4525 - Faded Printing (1966 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Aaqiq
Message 1 of 11 (1,966 Views)

CP4525 - Faded Printing

I have a client whose CP4525 is printing faded print outs. I ran the PQ Troubleshooting diagnostics, did a full calibration etc to no available. There are no error messages or warnings to replace toner cartridges.

Could this be a Fuser replacement issue? Don't want to order a Fuser kit if it's not necessary and incur more expense for my client.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JC

Seize the Day!
Trusted Contributor
S. Lenderink
Message 2 of 11 (1,956 Views)

Re: CP4525 - Faded Printing

Hi,

Can you scan in the Print Quality Pages? Those pages have 4 pages wich are the primary colors (CMYK).

Is one of the primary colors faded and if so, have you tried to replace the corresponding cartridge?

If it is with all the colors then it could be a transfer problem, but a scan of the pages would be very helpful in diagnosing the problem

Extinct.....And loving it
HP Pro
DaveK.
Message 3 of 11 (1,926 Views)

Hello,

I may be able to help, please scan the Supplies Status Page and Diagnostics Page (2-pages) and attached to a message in this forum for review.

Thanks,

DaveK.

Occasional Advisor
Aaqiq
Message 4 of 11 (1,924 Views)

Hey Dave

Attached are the pages you requested.

I have gone thru the onboard diagnostics, and tried the HP suggested troubleshooting steps from their technicians such as power cycling, reseating components, etc. Now they want me to start replacing a number of components, which would mean buying & shipping them up to my remote location (Eastern Arctic) at great expense, not to mention my own hourly rate.

For a printer that is only worth $1500 new, if we cannot resolve this issue without incurring significant costs to the client, then we are prepared to recommend that they buy another printer instead of running up an equally expensive repair bill.

Appreciate the help.

JC

Seize the Day!
Occasional Advisor
Aaqiq
Message 5 of 11 (1,920 Views)

Tried that. All components are new or recently replaced in troubleshooting attempts. The Printer was only purchased in January this year and Client claims the printer has not performed properly from day one.

Seize the Day!
HP Pro
DaveK.
Message 6 of 11 (1,906 Views)

Hi JC,

After reviewing the pages you provided, it looks like there is a problem with secondary transfer.  I recommend inspecting the T2 roller and holder assembly by opening the right side door and the T2 roller is a foam roller on the holder assembly to swings down when you open the door.  Look for any anomalies/broken/dislodged parts.  There are various electrical contact point to inspect as well.  Make sure the T2 roller is seated properly.

If this area all checks good, then an ITB/T2 roller would be the part that I would replace. 

Regards,

Dave 

Occasional Advisor
Aaqiq
Message 7 of 11 (1,751 Views)

Been working on the issue for the past 3 weeks now with HP. After waiting  1 1/2 weeks for parts, We replaced the ITB/T2 roller. No change in the problem.

Working with HP Global Support has been like working with molasses in February......they now think it might be an internal laser issue. BUT, given my remote location (Canadian Eastern Arctic), sending an HP Tech up here will cost HP approximately $3000.00......my client, a local community college, is getting pretty frustrated.....

Seize the Day!
HP Pro
DaveK.
Message 8 of 11 (1,748 Views)

Does the engine test page come out with the faded print?  The engine test page can be executed by pressing in the button that is accessed through the small hole in the back of the printer upper left side.  Load tray 2 with letter paper.  This will isolate the formatter from the print engine.

Does the configuration page come out faded (this is a mono job)?

I do not think that the laser scanners are bad and if you were going that route, then I suggest getting a replacement printer sent since the root cause is likely some sort of damaged/broken parts and the laser scanners will be a waste of time.

Regards,

Dave

Occasional Advisor
Aaqiq
Message 9 of 11 (1,745 Views)

Hi Dave

Yes, the config page and all test pages just keep coming out faded or greyed out. The color is fin, but faded. We've changed all the cartridges despite them all being new. HP Support has had me do just about every test they can think of and after the changing of the ITB/T2 kit, which took a week & a half to ship up here, it is still printing faded/greyed out printouts. I've never seen this type of problem before.

I have tried to convince HP Support that it will be more cost effective to send another printer as the College just bought this one and have had this issue since day one with it. We are located in Iqaluit, Nunavut, so the cost of flying personnel, accomodations etc is extremely high (airfare alone from Ottawa is $2000).

Thanks for your feedback.

JC

Seize the Day!
Occasional Visitor
EddyB
Message 10 of 11 (1,742 Views)

Have you tried cleaning the scanner lenses. Seen a similar issue with the HP 1600/2600 when excess toner builds up on the scanner lens. Have just come back from a very remote island in the middle of the Indian Ocean

and came across a number of machines that had blurred print, after cleaning the lens they worked superbly. The room conditions because it is very hot outside, are chilled during the day with air conditioning, but turned off at night time, because of the high salt content, humidity and temperature the air seems to carry alot of dirt with it and everything seemed to be coated with a very fine film. You might have the same kind of conditons in reverse.

A simple suggestion, so let me know how you go.

Occasional Advisor
Aaqiq
Message 11 of 11 (1,138 Views)

Hey Eddy

The printer is brand new with less than 200 print pages done. The client has had this problem since they bought the printer so it's not a toner build up issue or dirty scanner lens.

The office environment is a fairly clean one, so I believe that can be ruled out. The Arctic environment we live in is a dry climate, very little humidity. We've done the high voltage test, the print/stop tests and ruled out all the usual changeable component suspects.

After spending another 2 hours on the phone with HP Support this morning, it appears they may now consider replacing the printer as the costs associated with troubleshooting the problem are now at or close to exceeding the actual purchase cost & shipping of the original printer.

JC

Seize the Day!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.