CM2320 Blurry Color (6663 Views)
Occasional Visitor
JF Gagnier
Message 1 of 15 (6,663 Views)

CM2320 Blurry Color

When I print the PQ Troubleshooting test pages, the three color pages are out of sync and blurry - the black is fine. When I try printing something, everything is blurry. This happened after I changed the cyan cartridge. No matter what I do I can't correct it. When I print a page that has words and graphics, the words (in black) are crystal clear, the color graphics are all blurry. Anyone have a solution?
Regular Advisor
Prem Garg
Message 2 of 15 (6,616 Views)

Re: CM2320 Blurry Color

you need to calibrate the printer ,
go to System setup Menu, select Print quality, then select Calibrate color and then Calibrate now
Occasional Visitor
JF Gagnier
Message 3 of 15 (6,616 Views)

Thank you.
I have tried to re-calibrate several times, but the problem continues.

On other discussion boards, a cold reset seemed to help. Is that the case with the CM2320?
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Bennet
Message 4 of 15 (6,616 Views)

We had the same problem with a CM2320. The customer had changed the black toner and then noticed blurry prints. The printer displayed ready to print, no error message, but on the configuration page was a 54.14 color plane sensor error. Per the book, we replaced the color misregistration sensor which made no difference. Also per stated HP policy, after one unsuccessful repair replacing one part, the printer is to be replaced under warranty. HP refused to replace the printer and told us it had to be fixed. We next replaced the ITB belt which also made no difference. Next, the toner cartridge tray. This improved the registration considerably, but it was still misaligned on one side of the page. The next suggested part, DC Controller, was on backorder and by this time it was clear to us it would not accomplish the repair. After jumping through all the hoops for HP, the printer was now out of warranty and even though it was unrepairable, we had to return it to the customer unrepaired and tell the customer HP would not exchange it.
We have had two other printers in the same family that had broken parts that were not spared and HP could not provide the parts and would not exchange the printer. We also had to return those to the customer as unrepairable.
Occasional Visitor
JF Gagnier
Message 5 of 15 (6,616 Views)

Thank you. V helpful.
Occasional Visitor
Mitch Chrapla
Message 6 of 15 (6,616 Views)

Having the exact same problem with a CM2320 that was brought into the shop for alignment problems. Wish I had read this thread before I ordered the exact same part (color misregistration sensor) and replaced it with the same problems persisting.

I've gone through some extensive testing at this point, all three colors (CMY) are printing off, with black the only color printing correctly, which just blows my mind. (The laser is fixed, so I can't beleive its that, it almost has to be the tray or rails that the cartidges insert into the printer on. On the diadnostics page all the colors seems to allign in the bottom right corner, but look at the bottom left and you have lines that are angled across each other, like the laser is out of whack, but it isn't.

I have noticed that the left side rail that the tray that holds the cartridges slides on, is damaged somehow, it pops out of place when you pull the tray out and put any weight on it(I pull the tray out of the printer, pop the black plastic on the left side of the printer back onto the metal frame, and when I go to slide the tray with the cartridges back into the printer, it will pop back off the metal frame. I was thinking this was the problem, until I pulled the transfer belt and watched when you slide the tray back into the unit, it forces the rail back onto the metal frame anyways, so I'm unsure if thats really it.

HP doesn't sell that part, so even if that was the problem, we can't get the part to fix it. How dissapointing, $500 dollar multifunction color laser, 18months old, returning to customer unrepairable... more and more units with parts that are not orderable/repairable!

BTW: The service manual for this unit is horrible, no information whatsoever regarding this type of failure, or troubleshooting flowchart, like this unit will never have these problems!

I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has an answer for this problem, but I don't hold much hope :(

Mitch Chrapla
Occasional Visitor
ATXGian
Message 7 of 15 (6,561 Views)

I fixed mine.  I felt I had nothing to lose so I removed the transfer belt and blew out the printer.  I used a mirror and looked at the inside top and then also took a can of air with the straw and blew up into 4 little squares in the inside of the printer.  They are on the left hand side and looks like they are above each toner.  I then took a foam cleaner and sprayed it on a lint free cloth and wiped down everything inside I could reach.  I then put the transfer belt back in and then wiped off all the places that my fingers touched.  NOT THE BELT ITSELF just the outside.  Put the cartridges back in and the **bleep** thing worked.  I am not sure which one of these fixed it but it took about a half hour to do all of it. 

Good Luck! 

Occasional Visitor
ATXGian
Message 8 of 15 (6,479 Views)

Just wondering if anyone else tried what I did and if it fixed it.  Please let me know.

Occasional Visitor
theconspiracy
Message 9 of 15 (6,141 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem (colors misaligned) and it seemed to be difficult. The technician at the HP service partner told me "I had this problem 10 times, it's irreparable". No guarantee from HP anymore, but defects liability ("Gewährleistung": The supplier has to exchange/repair the thing if it breaks within 2 years of purchase, but you have to proof that it had a hidden defect from the beginning...). My supplier didn't want to exchange the printer..

Today, I called several other HP service partners and talked to different technicians - none knew anything of the problem (which increased my doubts). But one told me to find out which printer cartridge is misaligned worst and exchange it. I was not sure what to do as the cartridges are expensive and I didn't want to waste money. Finally I bought the cartridge, calibrated the printer 4 times and now everything's perfect again...

Occasional Visitor
Warwicke
Message 10 of 15 (5,518 Views)

New machine went "blurry" after 3 weeks of use, printer about 2500 pages, most just black. Cleaned internally and blow out with compressed air, still no change. Realised that cartridges with new machine are not full cartridges so changed 3 colour cartridges and colour fixed but when printing colour with black, black is now out, so changed black cartridge and all good. Noticed that cartridges that came with printer did not fit as cleanly as new cartridges did.

Occasional Visitor
Wian
Message 11 of 15 (3,689 Views)

[ Edited ]

After weeks of dealing with this problem and changing the cartridges I finally found the solution.

Pull the cartridge tray out, lift every cartridge out and put them back in then do the shaky shaky from left to right with the tray. Put the tray back in and perform a calibration. Voila no more problems.

Occasional Visitor
shaunix
Message 12 of 15 (3,343 Views)

Just repaired this issue. I removed the cartridge tray. Took the 2 screws out for the colour misregistration sensor. Found the small opening and white sensor eye. Blasted it with some compressed air. Lifted up the ITB. Sprayed compressed air under and over the ITB. Put everything back. Forced it to calibrate. Working fine.

Occasional Visitor
Nikonfan
Message 13 of 15 (1,000 Views)

I've tried all the recommendations and non of them work. Then I found the solution from a different HP colour laser printer - Do a NVRAM initialisation first :

1) Perform NVRAM initialisation : Power off, Press and hold right arrow and cancel buttons together, Power on, and release these buttons when the words Permanent Storage Init appears on the screen, Wait a while for the normal screen to appear.

2) Perform Print Quailty calibration : Set up, System set up, Print Quality, Calibrate color, Calibrate now, Wait a while for the normal screen to appear.

3) Check alignment : Set up, Reports, Supplies Status page. The three colours should be perfectly aligned inside each status box, and with the 6 black pin balls.

It's so easy. 

Occasional Visitor
Nikonfan
Message 14 of 15 (991 Views)

NVRAM reset only worked for a while, so it's not a permanent solution. I've tried NVRAM reset and Print Calibration several times, and still Magenta is slightly out. I found it's less out with a genuine HP cartridge than a remanufactured one. I wonder if all the cartridges are genuine HP, then the problem would go away? It's too expensive to test this theory though. 

Occasional Visitor
Nikonfan
Message 15 of 15 (960 Views)

I've found the culprit.  The remanufactured black cartridge was not printing evenly across the page, even it's still has 36% left. (I made a simple test sheet comprising of of black, red, blue and yellow bars across the page.) I changed it with a new genuine HP cartridge, reset the NVRAM and recalibrated print quality, and it's been fine for the last two days. 

Apparently when one cartridge is not printing high quality, then alignment fails and print quality calibration can't correct it. Here's a general link about how HP printers align the toners :

www.fortwayneprinterrepair.com/wordpress/2012/02/19/alignment-issues-hp-color-laserjet-cp1210-cp1215...

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.