CM1015 won't print anything in red (1331 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Leigh Wille
Message 1 of 9 (1,331 Views)

CM1015 won't print anything in red

The first time I changed the magenta cartridge in my HP CM1015 it has not printed anything in red on the paper. I have changed the cartridges a total of 2 times and still will not print in red. The indicator lights say that it is using the toner in the cartridge. I have cleaned and recalibrated it without any luck.
Occasional Visitor
monkfunk1
Message 2 of 9 (1,331 Views)

Re: CM1015 won't print anything in red

I have the same issue, just spent 350 on all new ink and red not printing still. not happy, did anyone find a solution?
Occasional Advisor
len williams
Message 3 of 9 (1,331 Views)

I have the same problem. Have you found a solution?
Occasional Visitor
Eric J Stein
Message 4 of 9 (1,331 Views)

nope, this is some really terrible customer service and I hope someone can quote me on that.

I have owned over 10 HP printers, right now I have 2, and this one cost me over $500 and isn't working right and I get no support. That is thievery if you ask me. Oh ya, plus I just spend $350+ on new ink for this $500 printer that doesn't work.

HP, you lost me as a life long customer and I will buy the rest of my printers and expensive ink from another company for the next 70 years of my life, you are losing a lot of business and I will never recommend HP to anyone ever again. I can't believe this, incredible! how does no one from the company respond to this? they have forum leaderboards about who gets the most points, but can't answer a simple question? come on.
Occasional Advisor
len williams
Message 5 of 9 (1,331 Views)

Got this off another posting. Your best bet is to bring these instructions to someone who services printers and let them perform the repair for you:

I now know the reason for problem. It is in fact a design problem by HP. They have not protected the laser scanner unit properly. Toner powder can get into the laser unit. To cure the problem you have to strip down some of the printer. First remove the toners, Remove the back cover remove two PCB under the rear cover, then remove the supporting metal panel. Then removing the laser unit. There are two small spring metal cover plates that have to be removed to get the bottom two screws of the laser unit. Best to the lean the printer on its front as these plates are on the bottom of the printer.

When you have got that far, you have to remove a small spring and then undo just one screw that holds the laser unit plastic front cover.

When this cover is removed you can see the fancy optics of the laser unit. You will find a covering of toner dust all over, the angled mirrors and lenses. The bottom angled mirror having the most toner dust this is the magents mirror.

I used a camera lens cleaning brush to remove all of the toner dust. Shining a small tourch around will high lite the dust on the various parts.

When this is done then you have to re-assemble it all.

If everthing has been done correctly then you are back in business.

Occasional Advisor
len williams
Message 6 of 9 (1,331 Views)

Occasional Visitor
Els Upton
Message 7 of 9 (1,331 Views)

I tried the cleaning method described inthe last post. Everything was described perfectly and after two attempts to fix the printer, I was actually successful. It works better than the day I bought it. I highly recommend you spend a few bucks and have a professional do the repair though, becasue there is a lot that can go wrong as I found out, and I have experience repairing computer hardware and peripherals. For anyone that does try it, inside the optical unit there are two small magnetized metal dials, be very careful not to touch these while you are performing the cleaning. They throw off the calibration if they are disturbed.
After this nightmare and trying to deal with HP's deplorable customer service, I will never buy HP again, but hopefully this will help someone else slavage a $500 printer and $350+ toner.
Occasional Visitor
Longtimer
Message 8 of 9 (715 Views)

I have been servicing copiers for 30+ Years and this simptom through me a curve .  I think because the problem was nearly exclusive to the magenta I really didn't suspect the laser unit. This was a great post and it totally fixed my customer's machine. I don't beleive the service manual covers the servicing of the laser assembly and although the post got me there I thought I would add a few tips. Looking at the back of the machine remove 10 screws to get the rear cover off. Remove the cartridges and both side covers. The side covers are held on wth 1 scew for each one.  You have to peel the covers from the front then pull the bottom away and down .  The trick here is the correct amount of force without going crazy on them. Now to the back again. Take note of the empty connectors. Remove the left hand board - 5 screws . You must remove the small cover that protects the ribbon cables leading to the scanner. 1 ladge crome screw. Then unthread these cables up out of there guide. The idea is to remove the metal plate that holds the boards to get to the laser. Pay close attention to the routing af the many purple wires that lead from these boards. A photo may be a good idea. All the black plastic wire guides must also be removed. Start on your right because the second one holds the third one .  Find the clips on the first 2 and pull them strait out. The long one will then slide to the left and come out. Then you can remove the rest of the screws to access the laser unit. There is 1 screw the comes in from the left. Behind the metal plate you will see the laser unit and 2 of the scerws  securing it. The other screw(s) are behind the 2" tin plates on the bottom of the machine. After removing the laser remove the 1 screw securing the cover on it. Take note of and remove the spring that goes from this cover to the shutter. Then you will see the 4 pink tinted miirors and notice the dust on the bottom (magenta) mirror. I STRONGLY suggest you do not put any liquids on these miirrors. I suggest Q-Tips. wipe in one direction and you can also wipe all the optical surfaces including the square rotating mirrors. (the edge of the 2 square mirrors are the working surface . When reassembling pay paicular attention to the ribbon cables on the right and make shore you don't forget any cables behind the metal plate 

Occasional Visitor
RoosterHooch
Message 9 of 9 (574 Views)

http://youtu.be/R1DIko0a1MA

This video will show you in detail how to fix the problem.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.