Black laser cartridge will not seat in Color Laserjet 3800 (179 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Essie Dube
Message 1 of 3 (179 Views)

Black laser cartridge will not seat in Color Laserjet 3800

I saw a question mark on the screen above the icon for the black laser cartridge and I was not able to output, so I removed the black cartridge and purchased a new one (authentic HP cartridge). The trouble is it won't seat correctly. The left side of it seems to have play when I push on it. The other three cartridges don't. I know it's not in there correctly because I still get the question mark and "insert black cartridge" in the window.

It's not rocket science to replace a laser cartridge, so I'm stymied.

Please help, as I have proofs to output!

Thank you.
Honored Contributor
razzer
Message 2 of 3 (179 Views)

Re: Black laser cartridge will not seat in Color Laserjet 3800

check on the right side in the slot if there is any plastic pieces or wire sticking in there,preventing it from fully seating.a common issue with this printer is for one or more of the cartridge locks there to break.often it will give a cartridge disengaged type error.perhaps not though if it is not reaching the e-label reader.
Occasional Contributor
Essie Dube
Message 3 of 3 (179 Views)

Re: Black laser cartridge will not seat in Color Laserjet 3800

The channel is clear on both sides. I removed the yellow cartridge and checked to see if there was anything different in the channel for the black, and they both look the same. However when I seat the black cartridge, I can push in on the left side of it whereas I cannot do that with any of the other cartridges. The blue guide on the left side is sticking out further than those of the other three cartridges, so I know it is not seating correctly.

I'm trying to figure out a way to tape it or otherwise exert pressure on it so it makes proper contact with the front of the channel on the left side.

For what I paid for this printer (and the cartridge), you'd think HP could do better. I'm not a happy camper right now.

Thanks for your suggestion.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.