4250n error - 49.4c02 (firmware error also...) (26123 Views)
Occasional Visitor
rwperkins
Message 1 of 7 (26,123 Views)

4250n error - 49.4c02 (firmware error also...)

I recieved an error on my LJ 4250n printer. 1st it had the error that the firmware was bad and I needed to reload via the parallel cable. I completed that and the printer came up properly. I let it set overnight and this morning I plugged in my network cable and printed a configuaration sheet so I could get the new IP address. It printed out the sheets and then came up with the 49.4c02 error - please restart. I did and now it has the firmware error again that I need to re-load the firmware. HELP... I assume I have a hardware issue, but what needs to be replaced?
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (25,890 Views)

Re: 4250n error - 49.4c02 (firmware error also...)

I have seen this on may 4250's with the embedded nic card. One thing you can try is turn on and when the memory starts its count, press the check mark button until all 3 lights come on solid and the release. Go down to embedded nic card and disable and then try the firmware upgrade again and after completion do a cold reset and then go back in a reenable the embedded nic card. If it still fails, then the formatter may need to be replaced. I had a couple that I had to use an eio network card since with the upgrade the embedded nic would not work and would cause a 49 error.
Occasional Visitor
kp400
Message 3 of 7 (25,890 Views)

If the embedded nic card has been disabled is there some way for me to update the firmware from the printer's control panel?
Honored Contributor
MJS1240!
Message 4 of 7 (25,890 Views)

You have to do through one of three things jetdirect, USB, or LPT1
Occasional Visitor
kp400
Message 5 of 7 (25,890 Views)

I tried connecting directly to the printer's embedded nic via USB & crossover Ethernet cable (on separate tries, of course) and was unable to connect to the printer using EWS, FTP through IE, FTP from a DOS prompt or through the web jetadmin utility (ver 10.x). I tried it with the nic disabled & enabled. Is it possible that none of these attempts to connect to the printer and update its firmware have been unsuccessful because the formatter is "shot"?
Occasional Visitor
Sorpo
Message 6 of 7 (24,861 Views)

I recieved an error on my LJ 4250n printer. 1st it had the error that the firmware was bad and I needed to reload via the parallel cable. I completed that and the printer came up properly. I let it set overnight and this morning I plugged in my network cable and printed a configuaration sheet so I could get the new IP address. It printed out the sheets and then came up with the 49.4c02 error - please restart. I did and now it has the firmware error again that I need to re-load the firmware. HELP... I assume I have a hardware issue, but what needs to be replaced?

Honored Contributor
Kevin_Adams
Message 7 of 7 (24,820 Views)

It would be better if each persons thread was split into seperate conversations as they might not require the same solution.

If the printer is functional but has the error when network is enabled we have applied the same fix David recommended, we disabled the internal card and slotted an EIO card in - in most cases these have been working for many months now with no issue.

We've not had a high number but they were noticed that we had several in short sequence so we tried the EIO card and all was well, in our case firmware didn't cure but it would always be a path to elminate before replacing any hardware.

If you have one that you can't connect to then make sure no firewall etc in place as this can lead to assumptions that the printer is not there, if you can ping it then you should be able to get the firmware down to it. so this I would treat as a different and seperate problem.

Even on cross over cable this has stumped one or two people who didn't realize the firewall was blocking access so replaced expensive hardware before finding the same issue...

If it ain't simple it ain't worth doing.
(Don't forget Kudos if people have helped)
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.