4050 unexpected paper size (664 Views)
Occasional Advisor
CA800121
Message 1 of 2 (664 Views)

4050 unexpected paper size

Having issues with an HP 4050 networked printer after having the paper tray refilled somes up with an error message "41.3 unexpected paper size" and it refuses to print the rest of the job. Cycling power on the printere doesn't help, I have to go into the resets menu, reset the memory and back to factory defauts. This seems to help for a day or so or until the paper tray is refilled again. The users are not changing any settings, nor are the moving the blue plastic paper sizer. I am thinking something wrong with the printers logic board?? or what the brains may be called, any ideas, tricks?? please? need help! This is printing from a windows application with default windows settings nothing special as far as formatting etc, only uses 8.5 x 11 paper. Thank you.
Honored Contributor
Rachelle Thoren
Message 2 of 2 (664 Views)

Re: 4050 unexpected paper size

Jon,

The 41.3 error can indicate the following:

A temporary error occurred while printing. This error most commonly occurs when:

1. The printer picks two sheets of paper at once. Remove the page from the output tray and press Continue. The previous page is reprinted automatically.

2. The wrong size media are loaded into a tray. Print a self-test to verify paper size settings for trays.

3. With the HP LaserJet 4, 4M, 4Plus, 4MPlus Printers this error most commonly occurs when the paper size knob on the 250 or 500 sheet universal cassette does not match the installed paper, the wrong size media is loaded into the cassette.

* If the error persists, contact your dealer or HP Service Technician>>

In your case, since the error appears even after you power down the printer (and power it back up), I'm wondering if there's a print job stuck in the print queue that keeps attempting to print whenever the printer is powered on. I would check and clear out any print queue, whether on the print server or in Windows itself and see if that helps.

You could also disconnect your network cable from the printer and power it up disconnected to any PC and see if the error persists. If so, it's probably the printer itself. Check for a multifeed; remove all paper and fan it before reinstalling. If all else fails, I would have the printer looked at by an authorized service technician.

Good luck and thanks for posting!

Rachelle
Each day holds promise, purpose and possibility.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.