2840 LaserJet - excessive cleaning mode (807 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Tom Hardie
Message 1 of 5 (807 Views)

2840 LaserJet - excessive cleaning mode

Hi,
I've been having no end of problems with our HP 2840 LaserJet All-in-one repeatedly going into a Cleaning cycle, many times per day.
A session with the chat people just ended up with being told to do everything that I had already done and then being told to log a fault.
Whilst logging the warranty fault a very nice Irish sounding lady called Carla said that a member of their team had discovered the solution - make sure that on the printer the Tray 1 paper size and type is NOT set to "Any".
I have set ours to "plain" and "A4" and it seems to have cured the problem.
Surely if this is a solution known to HP I should have been able to find it on the web somewhere?
And what about a firmware release to correct the problem?
Occasional Visitor
stevemac
Message 2 of 5 (807 Views)

Re: 2840 LaserJet - excessive cleaning mode

I'm having the same problem. I've set the paper paper to plain and I'm still having the same trouble. Any further ideas?
Regular Advisor
Phred G
Message 3 of 5 (807 Views)

I believe that it's a fluke that changing paper tray sizes had anything to do with the cleaning cycle, but there are some strange things that work. I'm glad it worked for you. Out of curiosity, what does the control panel display say when the cleaning mode starts? Mine says something like "load tray 1 Plain, letter". My trays are set to Any type, any size and the default paper size is letter. defaault paper type is plain.
If the printer goes into a continuous clean or calibration cycle, I've seen this caused by using refilled toner. Somehow, the formulation of the toner material is different and doesn't satisfy the toner density sensors causing a perpetual (or very frequent) calibration or cleaning cycle.
The only time a cleaning cycle comes up when the Black toner cart is changed. It passes a sheet of paper through to clean the paper path and the fuser. That's why it creeps through the last part of the cycle.
Best of luck
Phred
You can't fix 'em all, but you can try.
Occasional Advisor
Daryl Sensenig
Message 4 of 5 (807 Views)

I am having the same issue. It started after I used refilled toner. Unfortunately, the Tray 1 setting did not fix the issue.
Occasional Visitor
Kasmitchell
Message 5 of 5 (807 Views)

I'm having this issue as well and it just started when i inserted a refurbished black toner cartridge. i'm about to change it back to an HP cartridge and i'll report back as to whether it resolves itself.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.