2605dn error 79 resolution needed (37720 Views)
Advisor
gchorst
Message 1 of 157 (37,720 Views)
Accepted Solution

2605dn error 79 resolution needed

HP sent a recommended firmware update for my 2605dn laserjet. I followed the instructions, but received an error 79. Tried shutting printer off/on as 79 messages instructed...but no go. Called HP support, but they were no help…they want me to take the printer in for service…it was working fine until the update…any ideas?

Occasional Advisor
Message 2 of 157 (37,634 Views)

Re: 2605dn error 79 resolution needed

Same problem, now printer justs turns itself on and off, on and off, every 20 seconds ...

Occasional Advisor
Message 3 of 157 (37,630 Views)

Maybe they are touting for repair business, send a dodgy update = generate lots of service calls
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 157 (37,627 Views)

If it ain't broke do not fix it.  That has been my adage for years in this business.  When you update the firmware you are updating the operating system of the printer.  If one byte does not take right then the system will fail and you get the error you are getting.  Very few of older HP printers have a recovery mode where you can revert or do the update again when it fails with a system failure.  Only suggestion I can give you at this time is to try first a NVRAM reset and if that does not work and Super NVRAM reset.  If still no joy, then the formatter will need to be replaced.  See the attached for performing the NVRAM resets.

Occasional Advisor
Jeff Helminski
Message 5 of 157 (37,573 Views)

tried your suggested solution. It doesn't work. HP messed up with this update. The printer does nothing but turn on and off every 20 seconds with error message. tried both NVRAM resets. Printer was flawless before the updates sent via email link with subject line:

Routine Alert for your Printers and Multifunction

Help please.... :(

Routine Driver Alert

Apr 25 2012

HP   Print and Scan Doctor (ver 1.0.0.018)

Products: Printers and Multifunction

Description: The HP Print and Scan Doctor, HP's next generation   diagnostic tool, completely replaces the HP Print Diagnostic Utility and the   HP Network Diagnostic Utility.

Routine Driver Alert

May 21 2012

HP   Color LaserJet 2605 Printer Firmware Update Utility (ver 20120413)

Products: HP Color LaserJet 2605 Printer series

Description: This firmware update utility is for the HP Color LaserJet   2605 series printers. The update is recommended for HP Color LaserJet 2605   series printers that have a prior version. This utility updates the printer   firmware to the latest version.

Occasional Visitor
s4play
Message 6 of 157 (37,565 Views)

My printer just did the same thing after updating the firmware per HPs recommended email I received.  Really pissed that this just killed my printer.  Update appeared to work fine, got the smiley face after the update, but now the printer just keeps turning off and on.

HP tell me how to fix my printer after your update broke my working printer.

Occasional Advisor
JEFF BROMAGEM
Message 7 of 157 (37,549 Views)

[ Edited ]

I too fell for the update  and  "fixes" that I didn't really need and now my printer is worthless.

I want a real "fix" sent to me so that I can return it to it's original state (which worked).

What the hell is HP doing send out a  firmware update that destroys printers??? 

JAB
Occasional Advisor
Jeff Helminski
Message 8 of 157 (37,519 Views)

the reply when contacting HP is below...This just isn't right. It was the companies firmware that created this problem. They should send us all new machines or send a fix that works... Unhappy customer :(

-----------------------

Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard.

This is in response to your e-mail regarding the HP Color LaserJet Printer.

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting HP e-Solutions.

From your e-mail, I understand that you are getting 79 error on the HP Color LaserJet 2605dn Printer control panel display.

According to the serial number, the warranty for the support has expired. However, we have options available to assist you:

Please try the following steps to resolve the issue.

The issue with hardware part (Formatter board), Please contact nearest ASP for printer service.

To find the nearest authorized Hewlett-Packard Repair Center, please visit the following website:

http://h20465.www2.hp.com/GPL/search.aspx?language_code=en&country_code=us&SearchType=SSP

In the above link, you will find the HP Authorized Support Provider nearest to you, and also provide you with a map to their location.

I hope the above information provided is helpful.

HP provides the following options:

Self Help Support:

•             HP Guided Troubleshooting tool http://h20499.www2.hp.com/gts/sparks/public/Admin_Navigate_All_All_All?lang=en

•             HP Product Support Site - Download manuals, drivers and other help files http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

•             HP Parts Store - Lookup parts and order online http://www.hp.com/buy/parts

•             HP Web Forum - Discussion group, post your question to other users and technicians

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/1,,2,00.html

•             HP Knowledge Base - http://www.itrc.hp.com/service/james/home.do

•             HP Warranty Check - http://www.itrc.hp.com/service/ewarranty/warrantyInput.do

Alternatively, HP does offer Fee-Based Support options via Chat (available for commercial PC and Printing products), Support Case Manager or Phone support.  If you are interested in the Fee-Based Support options, please follow the steps below. 

•             Go to http://www.hp.com/

•             On the top right hand corner, select the appropriate Country/Language.

•             On the bottom right, click on “Contact HP / Customer Service”.

•             For Chat Support, under ‘Interact Online with HP’, click on ‘Chat with an online technician after you buy’. 

•             For Support Case Manager, under ‘Interact online with HP’, click on ‘Submit & Manage a support case’

Once again, thank you for contacting HP e-Solutions.

Regards,

Patrick D  |  Technical Support Engineer  |  HP e-Solutions

Frequent Advisor
Steveghi
Message 9 of 157 (37,513 Views)

[ Edited ]

I got the same thing. The printer is now useless. I'm going to do some research today since this firmware update ruined my day. This looks like a scam. HP should have immediateliy checked this out and contacted you. I used to have so much faith in their company.

Frequent Advisor
Steveghi
Message 10 of 157 (37,473 Views)

I got the same error and the same answer from HP. Now I'm going to spend $39 to talk to them and let them know their update destroyed my printer. Does anybody know how to completely reset the firmware?

Occasional Advisor
Message 11 of 157 (37,468 Views)

[ Edited ]

Talked with their off-shore support who walked me through the  re-set procedure described above - to no avail. It appears that the formatter in the printer has to be replaced -!

Frequent Advisor
Steveghi
Message 12 of 157 (37,443 Views)

Thanks for the headsup. Sounds like spending $39 is just another way to throw more money down the toilet. I'm thinking that (a) perhaps a check with the local repair ship, (b) letter to their president, (c) a letter to our state consumer protector, (d) a letter to the HP president, or (e) a new Youtube song with a picture of the printer will help. The consumer is really getting the short end here. If somebody breaks into your house and damages your printer, it is a crime. If somebody gives you firmware that damages your printer, it seems that that is criminal also. Apparently this same thing happened with another HP printer a few years ago.

Occasional Visitor
neb1950
Message 13 of 157 (37,439 Views)

Same printer , same problem, same lack of help from HP

Advisor
gchorst
Message 14 of 157 (37,431 Views)

I myself have been a technical support person (not for HP) for many years and if I put a fix/update out  like this I would either get suspended or fired! When I first got this error I thought I was the only one, but looking at all the replies, it seems that anyone who applied the firmware for their 2605 printer received the same results. The firmware update sure appears to be a scam to generate more service or for many to purchase a new printer...anyhow I've decided to pursue this through legal channels.

Occasional Visitor
HPuser6415
Message 15 of 157 (37,422 Views)

[ Edited ]

After being told by an HP agent that the ony solution was to replace the formatter board, I contacted the local service provider listed by HP.  The estimated cost to replace the formatter board was over $700.  The printer cost $320 new.  

There should have been a warning that following the suggested update procedure from HP could result in an permenatly damaged device.  Since they didn't it either means that (a) they didnt know it could make your printer useless. or (b) they did know and chose to release the email with the recomended update anyway.  Either way they knowingly or unknowingly sugested I do something that damged my property, costing me time and money and loss of productivity.  

gchorst wrote:

I myself have been a technical support person (not for HP) for many years and if I put a fix/update out  like this I would either get suspended or fired! When I first got this error I thought I was the only one, but looking at all the replies, it seems that anyone who applied the firmware for their 2605 printer received the same results. The firmware update sure appears to be a scam to generate more service or for many to purchase a new printer...anyhow I've decided to pursue this through legal channels.

Advisor
gchorst
Message 16 of 157 (37,412 Views)

[ Edited ]

I will ask for HP to resolve this issue without financial cost to any of us.

Occasional Visitor
jacques etkowicz
Message 17 of 157 (37,328 Views)

Same problem.  It was working flawlessly until then.  I initially resisted the update, but then figured what harm could it do.  Silly me. 

Occasional Advisor
JEFF BROMAGEM
Message 18 of 157 (37,281 Views)

I'm going to start with a complaint to the BBB, then on to the Federal Trade Commision, and also try to contact someone in the "investor Relations" dept. at HP (not that it will help) just to let them know what low-lifes HP has become with a stunt (crime is a better definition) like this.  If any of you use Facebook/Twitter, start letting everyone you can know what HP has done to our printers, maybe it will spread like a wildfire.   I see that HP uses the same,maybe some of their people will take notice.  As noted in another post, I was quoted the ridiculous price of $100 to diagnose and over $500 to replace the formatter. The whole printer didn't cost that much new. It'll be cold day in hell before I'd give HP any more of my money at this point.

JAB
Occasional Advisor
Jeff Helminski
Message 19 of 157 (37,274 Views)

[ Edited ]

Gang,

I recently sent this to the HP executive team requesting a responce... We will of course like a resolution so hopefully they will respond. Good look and update any news on the fixes...

email sent to this link which should go to the executive team...

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/email/ceo/index.html

----------------------------------------------

I appreciate that you have a place to try and communicate with the leadership team at HP. I too have to deal with issues when they come up and having good information and feedback helps me do what is right. Please help me resolve this issue I have becuase of an urgent firmware update that was issued last week by your compnay.

I own a HP color jet 2605dn printer as well as several others and have been a loyal customer for years. it is below:--------------------- Routine Driver Alert HP Color LaserJet 2605 Printer Firmware Update Utility (ver 20120413)

Products: HP Color LaserJet 2605 Printer series OS: Windows

Description: This firmware update utility is for the HP Color LaserJet 2605 series printers. The update is recommended for HP Color LaserJet 2605 series printers that have a prior version. This utility updates the printer firmware to the latest version. ---------------------------------------- Upon completeion of the firmware update my printer as everyone that installed this firmware is getting an error message. After contact HP and being asked to spend $39.00 for support becuase it is out of warranty. I was told I needed to go to a service center, which I did and the quote was $100.00/consult and $500.00 cost to replace a formatter board which was working fine until the moment of your recommened firmware update.

I entered your forum to get some advice and found many of your customers also had the exact same problem. Here is a forum link to one I made several commnets on http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/2605dn-error-79-resolution-needed/td-p/5669657 .

My hope is that you will have someone look into this Immediately and provide a reasonable solution for the many HP color laserjet 2605 customers that took the companies bad advise. It is ironic that I just went out two days earlier and purchased $400 of toner for this machine and now it is worthless as is the toner.

My contact information is: Jeff Helminski business email is:  email@xxxxxx.com and personal email is xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.net. my mobile number is 9xx-xxx-xxxx.

I know this could become a big issue for you if you turn your cheek and ignore. This is a compnay caused problem and I believe you need to resolve this appropriately and timely.

I need the printer working and need it soon. I would like to be a HPO customer in the future, but only you can make tha happen. Please respond. Today is Thursday, April 31st.

Thank you for your review and your prompt attention to this compnay issue. Looking forward to a timely reply!

Sincerely, Jeff

Occasional Advisor
JEFF BROMAGEM
Message 20 of 157 (37,269 Views)

[ Edited ]

Her are a few email addresses for those of you who want to persue this problem:

Two versions in case this forum doesn't like e-mail addresses...

Link to President Meg Whitman

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/email/ceo/index.html

Investor Relations

investor.relations@hp.com   -----  investor.relations at hp.com

Board of Directors

bod@hp.com        ---------   bod at hp.com

JAB
Occasional Visitor
lhz55
Message 21 of 157 (37,260 Views)

Same Problem, even tried to "Bake" the formatting card. Didn't work. Any help from HP possible?

Visitor
T1mex
Message 22 of 157 (37,255 Views)

Can't believe what I've done!!!!

Can't believe what HP is doing!!!!

Never touch a running system, you idiot. ( idiot = myself )

My Printer, 2605dtn worked really fine. I cleaned the whole Laser unit a few days ago, bought

a set of original HP Original Toner. And now it is destroyed with a stupid firmware update??

Wtf have you done with my working printer??? Upgrade means U P G R A D E not Destroy your

printer. If its possible that my printer is dead after a firmware upgrade it is absolutely necessary

that HP informs costumers before they upgrade their systems. If they do not, and thats the fact !,

HP is fully responsible for the effects.

Called HP Service today and they told me a repair will cost € 198 without Tax !!!!

I'm not sure what to do next. I've been a loyal HP Costumer until now. But if HP is not willing to pay

for the repair, this is my last HP Product.

Just to think about:  Apple releases a new IPhone Update......... and so on. You know what I mean?

HP IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT SH..., SO THEY HAVE TO PAY !! Thats what I think about it.  

Occasional Visitor
MikeGoblet
Message 23 of 157 (37,197 Views)

Precisely the same situation. Tried reset and hard reset, connected directly to wall outlet, eliminating power strip and surge protection. Purchased printer from the secondary market. It worked very well until I followed HP recommendation. Now own a brick.

If this is not scandalous behavior, I'd like to know what is. Recently purchased new HP desktop and laptop. I really do not want to second guess the wisdom of going with HP.

Occasional Advisor
afelts
Message 24 of 157 (37,183 Views)

Add me to the list of VERY ANGRY HP2605dn printer owners...same issue...same results from HP...even sent email to laserjet.support@HP.com as suggested by tech support...a lot receipts but no responses.  All I want is my printer to work again

Occasional Advisor
afelts
Message 25 of 157 (37,181 Views)

[ Edited ]

sent to CEO

HP BROKE MY PRINTER and about 25 others...see your support forum:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/2605dn-error-79-resolution-needed/m-p/5669657/highlig...
PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU ARE GOING TO FIX.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.