2605dn - Colours not aligned correctly (3331 Views)
Occasional Visitor
OrdTechnology
Message 1 of 12 (3,331 Views)
Accepted Solution

2605dn - Colours not aligned correctly

I have had my 2605dn a week and I have noticed that It looks as though some of the colours are not aligned quite right at the left hand side. It's as if I need to do a print head alignment (like you need to with inkjet printers).

I can see it the worst if I print the system configuration page that has the coloured bars at the bottom and right angle lines left and right.

On the right hand side everything is OK, but on the left the black is shifted up about 1 or 2 pixels and the magenta is shifted left by about 1 pixel. You can see the white gap between the magenta and black bars at the bottom get narrower as you go from right to left. Also on the left hand side, the thin right angled line that is supposed to be blue has a magenta tinge to the bottom and left (where the magenta is shifted slightly down and left compared to the other colours).

Should I expect the colours to line up exactly? Or are they all like this?

If not, is there anything I can do (is there a way to adjust the alignment)? Or do I need to return it?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 2 of 12 (3,331 Views)

Re: 2605dn - Colours not aligned correctly

Run the Calibrate Now procedure and you should be fixed.

Select (checkmark)
Right Arrow (System Setup)
Select
Right Arrow TWICE (Print Quality)
Select TWICE
Right Arrow
Select

Print your config page and check it out. Also, look for faded magenta, a sign that your magenta scanner mirror is dusting over. If so, get back to me and I will provide instructions.
Don
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
OrdTechnology
Message 3 of 12 (3,331 Views)

Thanks for that Don.

I've run the calibrate now and it is definitely better. Everything is now OK left to right but the black is still very slightly shifted up (probably only by about 1 pixel).

Looking at the very first config report I did when the printer arrived and the one I've just done, the magenta is very slightly faded. What do I need to do about the magenta dusting?

Thanks.

Bob.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 4 of 12 (3,331 Views)

Try the Calibrate Now another time or two to see if the black comes in line.

As for the faded magenta, see the attachment. . .
Unsure if the photos will come through. If not, contact me by email. . .

dthompson002@socal.rr.com

Don
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
OrdTechnology
Message 5 of 12 (3,331 Views)

Hi Don,

Thanks for the attachment, the photos have come out fine. I'll give it a go when I get a bit of spare time.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Carlos Olivares
Message 6 of 12 (3,331 Views)

It seems that my 2605 has a similar problem. The printer is new and when I print the "Service Page" the borders of the square with the title seem to be two squares. It looks like if there were two different layers.

I have done the color calibration several times, but it does not work.

Is it a hardware malfunction or is it a software bad configuration?

Black/white printing is working fine.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Don S. Thompson
Message 7 of 12 (3,331 Views)

Carlos,
Try the attached cold reset followed by Calibrate Now.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Carlos Olivares
Message 8 of 12 (3,331 Views)

I have done that, but it still the same.

This is a big problem since I have to print technical drawings.

Printed drawings looks like an old 3D movie!

Is this a typical problem of this printer? It is new and I am thinking in change it if the problem continues, but I don't know if I will choose a different model.

Thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
J Craig-McFeely
Message 9 of 12 (3,331 Views)

Don,

Thanks - you can chalk up another success to your instructions (my black wouldn't align).
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sgfunk
Message 10 of 12 (3,299 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've spent the last year working on the color alignment issue on the HP 2600 series. I've come the three conclusions. 

1) Re-flashing the firmware does no work. (or the upgrade)

2) None of the resets or calibrations work. (SuperNVRAM, Cold Reset, 2ndary service mode)

3) The toner cartridges are not the problem. I used 5 sets (CMYK) of OEM.

I have changed formatter boards, DC Controller Boards, the right side drive train (refered to in another post as the clutches) and the ETB. In all instances I have been able to eventually get the CRP (Color Registration Pane) back in alignment. The solution is always short lived as the problem reoccurs in a few weeks.

I have been working on printers as my main profession for over 12 years. I maintained HP certification for 8 years (until they raised their inventory requirements to $10,000 USD). My conclusion with this printer is the same I have for the 2500 series printer. It was bad before it was built. HP, in my opinion, is loosing their mojo and can no longer produce the quality printers they used to. 

This problem, in my professional opinion, can not be solved or "fixed". Performing the resets and and the calibrations will buy you some time but will eventually loose their effectiveness. My suggestion to you would be to turn the auto calibration off. Get the CPR back to acceptable and go from there. If the machine doesn't  recalibrate it's self you may be able to prolong the return of the CPR problem.

Good Luck! If anyone can find a "real" solution for this I'm all ears.

Please use plain text.
pmk
Occasional Visitor
pmk
Message 11 of 12 (2,366 Views)

I have torn down my printer twice, trying to fix the magenta alignment (shifted down 1/16"), to no avail.  I wish I'd never bought the thing.

The real solution would be for the machine to support a manual calibration.

HP - are you listening?!  Upgrade the firmware and web interface to allow people to fix this themselves.  The programmed calibration doesn't work.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Photo_Tom
Message 12 of 12 (2,343 Views)

I just encountered this problem.  I have run calibration several times with no luck.  What else can I do?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation