Re: color laser 3600 printing in black instead of color (151 Views)
Occasional Visitor
indivar reddy
Message 1 of 4 (233 Views)

color laser 3600 printing in black instead of color

[ Edited ]

I am service engineer in a complex, i am facing a peculiar problem in color laserjet 3600, when we switch on and give a color print command from system it prints black and white print. when i reseat toner cartridges, transferbelt, formatter etc it gives a couple of color prints then its back to its original path starts printing black and white. This is a problem which no one could solve till now in spite of best efforts and suggestions after cleaning developer solenoids and cleaning inside the problem is unsolved.  

Can any one suggest the possible solutions for this black and white printing problem. I heard  the same problem from my friends who use the same 3600 color laser,  when I reset the settings it prints in few color prints and goes back to black and white. It is strange to see this happens in all the  printers I have, and my friends who use the same printer also have the same trouble. Please suggest me the possible solution , I will be grateful for any suggestion or guidance to clear this problem. This is becoming a big issue in my life.

indivar reddy secunderabad

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP Service Manager / Service Center Support and News Forum to Laserjets. -HP Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
AJAY_TECHSVY
Message 2 of 4 (151 Views)

Re: color laser 3600 printing in black instead of color

If the internal test pages such as supply pages, diagnostic pages  PRINTS only in black and if the color boxes are missing

Please verify the engine test page to check if all the color lines are printed ( steps-place a media in tray 2 and push the engine test switch on the rear side of the printer ), if the engine test page is also giving the same issue

It may be due to the Main drive assembly is misaligned , if you are an authorised hp technician ,you can align the MDA to check for improvement . if the engine test page is tested ok with all the coloured lines ,formatter could be the cause of the problem but it very rare that formatter can cause the above issue .Before Formatter is suspected ,Peform cold reset and check the status .

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself

Click the Kudos star if this was helpful. Thank You!

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
ken1hp23
Message 3 of 4 (107 Views)

There is a feature on the CLJ3600 called Mono Printing When a Color Cartridge is Out.  If that feature is activated, the printer will only print black and white.  There are two things you can do:  

1.) Print a Supplies Status Page.  You can do that by going to the Reports Menu within the control panel.  Select the Supplies Status Page.  If you have a low or out color cartridge, that could be the problem. 

2.)  Perform a Cold Reset.  This will reset the printer to factory defaults and should reset the mono printing when the color cartridge is out setting.  Please be aware that this will also reset any network settings.

-Turn the printer power off... then turn back on.

-Hold down the check mark key on the control panel continuously until the display panel states "Cold Reset". 

-At that point the printer will re-initialize and come back to a Ready state.

I am an HP employee speaking for myself and not HP.

I am an HP employee.
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 4 (92 Views)

Another tech told me of a thing you can do with the 3000 series when you get weird issues that come and go. It is undocumented but I had one is the shop today with a strange problem and his solution worked so it may work for you. There is a way you can reset the dc controller. In the back on the right side when looking from the rear is a small hole used for the engine test. Just stick something into the hole to press the switch and at the same time turn the power on. Keep holding the button in until initializing appears in the menu. Release and let the printer come to ready. It may solve your issue. My issue was the printer would start to initialize and then sort of reboot and keep doing this without ever coming to ready. The dc controller reset worked.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation