Re: HP LaserJet 8100n printing erratically. (185 Views)
Visitor
NS4701
Message 1 of 7 (271 Views)

HP LaserJet 8100n printing erratically.

At work, I have an HP LaserJet 8100n connected to the network, several users cannot print from this printer. When attempting to print, even one page, the printer will print several pages consisting of 1-3 lines along the top of each page, of jumbled text, including symbols, letters and numbers.

The printer will print a test page, from both the printer itself and from the printer properties page on windows. But it will not print any other document.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling on various computers, but it still does this same issue.

If more information is needed, please let me know what is needed. In this scenario, I don't know what else to try.

Btw, I am the local technician, so I do have admin rights. I also have access to network admins, if that is an issue.

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 7 (250 Views)

Re: HP LaserJet 8100n printing erratically.

You really do not give us much information. Like is the printer on a server and how the driver is loaded on each computer. First thing I would do is load the printer as a local tcp/ip printer on one of the computers, bypassing any printserver. Use the driver built into the operating system and all windows versions should have the driver built into the os. Try it that way and see if it now works. If it does, then the driver on the server probably has issues.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
NS4701
Message 3 of 7 (222 Views)

The printer is on a print server, each computer that will use the printer just has to connect to it. When I print out a test page, I get a huge list of drivers used, which are all listed on the "C" drive

I am unsure how to bypass the print server. I can't physically move the printer, and removing/adding goes through the local area option.

Another bit of info: the printer only seems to print normally for some users, but garbage for others.

I will attempt to connect a laptop via USB and see how the printer works.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
NS4701
Message 4 of 7 (219 Views)

An update.

I connected a laptop via USB and still got the same print errors.

I also tested various file types and found that the only thing that prints successfully is email, from Outlook. Anything else, .pdf, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, will print garbage.

Contacted my local network admin, and he reloaded the drivers, and we got the same result.

Any other advice?

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 5 of 7 (210 Views)

Here is how to load as a local tcp/ip printer. Print a config page from the printer and the second page will be the network settings. Look for the ip address. It will be something like 192.168.1.155 Numbers will be different. Now on one of the computers that is having issues go to printers and faxes or devices and printers depending on your operating system. Now choose add printer and then choose local printer. A page will come up with a default of lpt1. Below will be a option to create port and you will select that and in the drop down choose standard tcp/ip and then hit next. Follow the instructions and type in the ip address of the printer from the config page. Continue and when you get to the makers page choose hp on the left and laserjet 8100 pcl on the right and finish up. Now try to print something that is not working with the other driver and be sure to choose the new printer you just loaded and see if it works. Report back.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
NS4701
Message 6 of 7 (194 Views)

So, I followed your instructions and was able to print any type of document normally.

I then contacted my local network admin to see if he could load the drivers the same as I did. He could not, as it required the Server edition of drivers instead of the local Windows version.

He ended up removing the printer and reinstalling with the older version of drivers that were available. (From HP Universal Printing PCL 6 to HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (5.6))

Afterwards, I removed the printer from a computer having an issue, and re-added it. Checked the drivers being used on the local computer (HP LaserJet 8100 Series PCL6) and tried printing documents of varying file types. All prints came out normally.

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 7 (185 Views)

As a general rule if a printer prints any document correctly and others not correct, the issue will never be the printer but on the software side. Loading the driver locally as I suggested showed this and happy you IT people corrected the issue.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation