printer won't turn on (hp deskjet 9800) (458 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Steve Boek
Message 1 of 2 (458 Views)

printer won't turn on (hp deskjet 9800)

My hp deskjet 9800 won't turn on. The green power supply light is "on" when the unit is plugged in, but pressing the power button to turn printer on does nothing. Upon first plugging in the power supply, the printer power button lights for a few seconds, then goes off. Any ideas on what might be the problem?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Steve Boek
Message 2 of 2 (458 Views)

Re: printer won't turn on (hp deskjet 9800)

I figured something else out which may help in diagnosis/remedy. If when I plug in the printer, I have the top cover open, and press either the power button or the resume button, then the printer turns on and goes through initialization lighting sequence. However, this is the only way to turn on the printer. When trying to turn it off it goes through the same initializaiton lighting sequence (both print cartridge lights, then resume button, then power button) and turns itself off after about 1 minute. Right before it turns off the power light stays light for about 2 seconds. When the printer was on, i was able to print a test page by holding down the resume button. I am also able to print document from my computer. So this problem has now been narrowed down to why I need the top cover open at the same time that I plug in the printer and hold down the resume or power buttons. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation