deskjet 1220 c (1200 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Pietari Visanti
Message 1 of 18 (1,200 Views)

deskjet 1220 c

Has anyone been able to print to heavy paper with deskjet 1220 c? Yes, you may say that its possible using the feed in the back, but does it really work? Like, really?
I havent been able to print anything on heavy papers, even some thick photopapers are jammed and ink is spilled all over the place.

At home I have Canon S520 and it prints everything from 60g paper to 300g no problemo. How can I convince my boss that this printer cant print our christmascards???
Frequent Advisor
CA772806
Message 2 of 18 (1,200 Views)

Re: deskjet 1220 c

It's not just you. This printer has been a big disappointment. Speed, quality, and lack of support for even medium-weight paper.

However, you might try the paper that HP calls Brochure and Flyer paper. They also sell the same paper under the name Everyday Photo Paper. It's 36 Lb, but fairly flexible, so it goes thru OK. It also supports printing on both sides without bleed thru. $15 for 100 sheets at CompUSA.
Splash the Zeros
Frequent Advisor
CA1017536
Message 3 of 18 (1,200 Views)

DITTO:

I've owned my HP 1220 printer for about 3 years now and every time I try to print on heavy grade paper I give up in frustration. The feed in the back has NEVER WORKED for me. Although the quality is excelent, for general printing, HP photo paper and other stock frequently tends to bind. When trying to print a typical full page photo on HP Premium Photo Paper, I virtually always end up having to waste 3 or more sheets in order to get one good print. (Hence at $33.49 per package for 50 sheets, that becomes one VERY EXPENSIVE print - to say nothing of the wasted ink at $89.00 per cartridge.) Paper binds in the printer and the image gets cut off. When it does work, it works superbly well, but it only works 25% of the time - and NEVER reliably. I would certainly like to see a CLEANING kit enclosed with every packet of HP's paper. That might help with providing a consistently placed image. My EPSON Stylus Color II (bought in '96) on the other hand prints superb photographs, on all stock - but the ink is now almost impossible to get without going on line.

I would not recommend trying to print your Christmas Cards on this printer unless you're parepared to pay 3 times what their worth in materaisl and 20 or more times what their worth in time and frustration.
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 4 of 18 (1,200 Views)

Hello, guys:

I shoudl have read the forum a little more before I made my post. Well, based on all of your experience, I guess I just got myself a very nice wide format DJ printer that won't do heavy paper. It is a big disappoinment indeed. It is a shame.

Anyone has experience with the DJ 1120C with heavy paper???

Thanks.
Dewaine
Frequent Advisor
CA1017536
Message 5 of 18 (1,200 Views)

Before you consider this printer have a look at:

PRINTING AND DIGITAL IMAGING: PRINTERS - DESKJET
Subject: Win xp drivers 1120C
URL: <>
Occasional Visitor
Pietari Visanti
Message 6 of 18 (1,200 Views)

Thanks for the replys. It looks like theres nothing I do. Heavy papers are impossible for 1220c to handle. Its bad because we have bought many different paper types we cant use. It would be nice to give images to customers printed on heavy photo paper, instead of really thin paper.

Its funny to compare 1220c with my own Canon S520. I had a card that was torn and ragged after HPs treatment and it still came out nicely from Canon. Canon reliability is close to 100% with any given paper or even cards. HP is good with thin papers but with any other paper less than 40% or impossible.

So you are sure there is no secret adjustmentstick in 1220c that adjusts the height of the system where paper goes through? There is one in Canon but I havent even been forced to use it yet.
Frequent Advisor
CA772806
Message 7 of 18 (1,200 Views)

No secrets, I'm afraid. Just study extensively before any printer purchase. And HP is not the only one. For every HP nightmare, I can give you one for Canon and Epson also.

The only printer I have ever seen that just makes me happy every time I use it is the $119 (US) HiTi 630PL dye sub printer. It only prints 4x6 borderless, but the dye sub process is cheaper than inkjet and the coating it applies is moisture and UV resistant. Perfect, beautiful, glossy prints--the dye sub process is equivalent to an inkjet at 4800dpi) every time. Cost is about 41 cents per picture--about half that of comparable inkjet prints.

Contrast with my old HP 2000C (aka the Money Pit) which is a roll of the dice any time I print photos. Or my former Canon inkjet (I forget the model), which ate every other page.

Hit all the forums before you buy.
Splash the Zeros
Honored Contributor
Dewaine Chan
Message 8 of 18 (1,200 Views)

Well. I already got the Deskjet 1120C for a very norminal fee that I'm not going to cry if it doesn't do card stocks. I was hoping it would because I have a customer tried out my Deskjet 1220C and she loves it except that she wants to print on heavy card stocks sometimes and the DJ 1220C just won't do it. I was hoping the Dj 1120C would so she could use it instead. She uses Windows 98SE and I'll make sure she doesn't do something stupid like upgrade to Windows XP.

Well. That is it. Thank you all.

Dewaine
Occasional Visitor
CA1056894
Message 9 of 18 (1,200 Views)

I've had the same problem as everyone else it seems. On the rare occasion that I can get the manual feed for heavy stock to work properly, the results are excellent. But, the process is dismally unreliable. Forget about two-sided. If you are lucky enough to have it align and feed properly on one-side, you can be sure it will either not feed or bind on the other side. I too was hoping to print some Xmas cards, but unless someone has broken the code on this, I guess it just isn't going to happen -- I have already used up half a box of expensive card stock.
Frequent Advisor
CA1017536
Message 10 of 18 (1,200 Views)

The Deskjet 1220C prints standard ink-jet paper very well with Windows XP (Professional Edition). My wife runs it on her Dell Dimension 8250. It's only the heavier card stock and photos that don't perform as advertised. The printing and quality over-all is excellent when it works - it's just not reliable. As long as you install the latetst drivers form HP it should print fine in XP. Just don't expect to get reliable graphic output in terms of graphic placement when printing on heavy weight paper(s) or card sock. I've used up to 28 lb paper with total precision and accuracy. It's the photo papers that for me have been the problem, as is also the case when trying to print form the printer's back feeder.
Occasional Visitor
Bob Wessner
Message 11 of 18 (1,013 Views)

I too had the same problem. I found that using even HP Premium Plus Glossy was a problem until I figured this one out. After doing the necessary page setup, etc. do not insert the paper, instead, send the job to the printer and wait for the dialogue box that tells you to insert the paper. In this case, it was, to me heavy stock, so I used the rear, straight path and it worked fine. Hope this helps.
Frequent Advisor
CA1017536
Message 12 of 18 (1,013 Views)

Thanks Bob,

I'll have to try that one.
Occasional Advisor
rudy russo
Message 13 of 18 (1,013 Views)

Yes! the answer is here!!!
Actually the 1220c prints heavy stock rather nicely (make sure you check the manual for maximum thickness, though!).
In order to feed and print heavy stock from the rear of the unit, you simply have to do the following: go to...
FILE... print
PROPERTIES... Paper source
here it defaults to "auto select". You want to change this to "manual paper feed"
Viola! Simply feed the edge in the slot and the printer takes over! End of problem! Happy Printing!

-rudeman
Frequent Advisor
CA1017536
Message 14 of 18 (1,013 Views)

Rudy, you must be one of the three people on earth with this printer that is able to get it to print using the rear feeder.

I've had my printer for three years and have yet to get it to feed from the back.
Occasional Visitor
CA1119551
Message 15 of 18 (1,013 Views)

I too have had problems using the manual feed at the back, especially with the smaller size paper that supposedly can be used from the paper tray.

However, I do have a problem and I hope someone can define the help instructions from the support@HP.com. After printing 15 sheets, a screeching/grinding/or high tension sound emits. The cartridge tray runs smoothly across prior to 15 sheets. This just began on Sunday. Other than the standard instructions (e.g., turn off power, etc.) one statement is to remove the "rear trough". Where is this animal? I can't find any pictures on their web site to help. Another is to turn the rollers upward while pushing the clutch to the back until it engages the paper pick roller and then release the clutch. It goes on to state that the mechanism will clunk into space. After another instruction, the winner is the next to the last instruction: close the top cover and install the rear trough. Anyway, it prints very nicely and quietly up to 14 sheets then the noise begins. Is this "trough" the bay? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lily
Occasional Visitor
Ian Brearley
Message 16 of 18 (1,013 Views)

I have one of these machines. The first failure was on printing business cards and then discovered that printing on anything other than pretty flimsy was mostly impossible.

Oddly, I bought my wife a cheapo HP printer for downstairs use, a Deskjet F2180, which is a colour printer, scanner and photocopier - all for less than thirty pounds - and guess what? - it prints my business card no problem. All my disk labels, cards or anything on heavy paper goes through this one.

None of that takes away from the fact that this stupid 1220C darn well should be able to cope with a bit of card.
Occasional Visitor
steve colton
Message 17 of 18 (840 Views)

Here's the problem and a solution that worked for me on an abandoned unit that was clogged with ink as well (see messy clean-up solution for that elsewhere in this strem): The end result was perfect rear feed of 13" x 19" Epson Glossy Photo Paper - gorgeous!

Problem-

The paper feed rollers are too smooth to feed most plastized photo paper given that it is all thicher as well. The tension rollers on top of the paper feed rollers that force the paper onto the feed rollers are very stiff and the combination of slickness, too much spring tension, thick paper, and the width of some thick paper all work to halt the paper take-up.

Solution-

1. Remove the plastic box at the back (used to access and clear jams)

2. Wipe out area especially the rollers with damp paper towel - leave no paper esidue

3. Scary part - turn on printer and as it goes through it's initiation the rollers will turn about one revolution. As they are turning wipe them off as above. Go through the on/off cycle with the power button as many times as it takes.

This may be all that is needed. You can also use common household rubbing alchol (isoproponal). But, if the unit has had a lot of usage the rollers will likely have a slightly glazed or have streaky appearance. These may have oxidized as well. So,...

4. Cut small pieces of ScotchBrite and repeat number three above. Rubbing with the direction of the roller axle will help to even out any oddities with the rollers. Don't overdue it - just enough. Blow-out or vacuum out the debris.

5. Wipe the rollers with the Isoproponal as in number three, preferably with the Isoproponal.

6. Reassemble and test with plain paper on all three feed slots.

Hope it'll do for you as well as it did for me. We really love this old guy and he's worth the bit of trouble.

Occasional Contributor
wildbill999
Message 18 of 18 (661 Views)

Dear HP users of that frisky, tight 1220 C with Photo Stock papers:

I have developed a jury-rigged method for printing the heavier stock photo papers in the normal feed tray.

Note that you will probably lose a 1/2 margin of your paper and that you cannot print on a full 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of paper but you can still get a pretty big photo-print!! I am looking at a beauty right now on some Office Max photo paper!

Assemble these materials first:

1.) Scotch brand or similar clear tape in the thinner ½ inch width.

2.) A sheet of normal photocopy paper or thinner ink jet/laser paper.

3.) Your photo stock paper you know the kind that refuses to roll through the machine.

4.) Maybe a ruler and a thin weight for the glossy paper while you tape the "undersheet"

5.) A clean, flat table 2 ft square helps out also.

Here are the steps:

1.) Lay down a sheet of the photo stock glossy or matte/print side UP.

2.) Slide a sheet of the copy paper underneath it until about 1/4 inch or 3/8ths is visible above it.to the right side)

3.) Tape these two together with the tape all the way across. (make sure it is a even distance across!!)

4.) Load in the tray by itself for now like normal, I think it's print Side UP!! (NO sloppy loading, be careful)

5.) Make your print settings accordingly

6.) PRINT!!

What we are doing is using that tight grab power of the roller to take up that light weight paper which

helps pulls the heavier stock over the hump and into the machine.

I have not used this extensively but every time I have it has not failed me.

Since the tape will most likely take the finish off the glossy stock you will have to trim awaythe ruined paper which is a small margin overall.

Please try this and let me know how things go!!

Thanks,

Wild Bill

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.