Need Windows 7 64-bit Driver for HP Deskjet 9800 (4107 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Lawrence Baker
Message 1 of 18 (4,107 Views)

Need Windows 7 64-bit Driver for HP Deskjet 9800

I just upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit, Everything loaded perfectly except for a printer driver for my HP Deskjet 9800. This is the second time this has happened to me when I upgraded to a new Windows OS. Last time, 4 years ago, I ended up buying a new HP printer. Frankly, the nearest replacement for my 9800 is an Officejet 7000 which has been getting some poor reviews and does not have the same features as my 9800. So, if HP is not going to offer driver support for my 9800 then my next printer will be from a different manufacturer. Please provide driver support from my 3.5 year old printer.

Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 2 of 18 (4,107 Views)

Re: Need Windows 7 64-bit Driver for HP Deskjet 9800

The Deskjet 9800 driver is supplied as part of the Windows 7 operating system. Install the driver as shown here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01874725

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
(points appreciated)
{-- If this helped click the Kudos star.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Occasional Advisor
Lawrence Baker
Message 3 of 18 (4,107 Views)

Bob,

Thank you for your quick response.

You solution for a 64-bit Windows 7 Deskjet 9800 printer driver does not work.

There is no resident driver for a 9800 printer on my Windows 7 64-bit disk. I also tried the 32-bit disk without success.

The 9800 wide format printer uses a parallel connection to both the printer and to the computer. My newly built computer has only a USB connection, so I purchased a parallel/USB cable where the parallel connector fits into the printer and the USB end goes to the computer. I installed a new USB port in my "Printers & Devices" and added a new printer with that connection. That, too, did not work.

HP lists the Deskjet 9800 as one they are supporting with a Windows 7 driver. I talked to a tech support person and she explained the driver will be out Jan. 2010.
Can you confirm that?

A friend had the same problem with his other brand printer. He called them and they sent out a Windows 7 software disk which he received the next day. Now that's service. He's now up and running without all the frustration that I'm going through. I'm disappointed with HP.
Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 4 of 18 (4,107 Views)

"There is no resident driver for a 9800 printer on my Windows 7 64-bit disk. I also tried the 32-bit disk without success."

Hmm.... This page: http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/win7web/printer-support/us/en/deskjet.html lists the Deskjet 9800 as having built in drivers and I have installed them in my Windows 7 system.

"The 9800 wide format printer uses a parallel connection to both the printer and to the computer. My newly built computer has only a USB connection, so I purchased a parallel/USB cable where the parallel connector fits into the printer and the USB end goes to the computer."

Actually the Deskjet 9800 has either a USB or a parallel connection as shown in step 7 here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=... USB to parallel converters are problematic and require a supported driver for the operating system in question. A much better option would be a direct USB cable from the computer to the printer.

"HP lists the Deskjet 9800 as one they are supporting with a Windows 7 driver. I talked to a tech support person and she explained the driver will be out Jan. 2010.
Can you confirm that?"

I do not work for HP and have no inside information on their plans, but the link I provided above would indicate there are no plans for a driver beyond the one provided with the operating system.

Regards,
(Points appreciated)

Occasional Advisor
Lawrence Baker
Message 5 of 18 (4,107 Views)

Thanks, Bob.

I will give your suggestion a try.

Unfortunatly I have just a parallel connection and no USB connection to my Deskjet 9800. There is another type of connection--I forgot the name --- that has a three pronged symbol. I have that type of connection on both the printer and computer.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Larry

Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 6 of 18 (4,107 Views)

"Unfortunatly I have just a parallel connection and no USB connection to my Deskjet 9800. There is another type of connection--I forgot the name --- that has a three pronged symbol. I have that type of connection on both the printer and computer."

The three pronged symbol is the USB port, you just need a standard A-B USB cable to connect the printer.

Regards,
(points appreciated)

Occasional Advisor
Lawrence Baker
Message 7 of 18 (4,107 Views)

Thanks, again, Bob for hanging in there with me on this. I did not know that there are two typesw of USB connections. I looked up the cable on the HP website. I will give that a try.

Larry
Occasional Visitor
Scott Johnson, LMFT
Message 8 of 18 (4,107 Views)

Lawrence,

When I purchased the Deskjet 9800 I needed a 64 bit driver for Windows XP 64. I called HP tech support and they told me to install the Officejet Pro 8600 Windows XP 64 bit driver. It has worked just fine.

I am planning to upgrade to Windows & and intend to use the Officejet Windows Vista 64 bit driver. My guess is it should give you most of what you're looking for. I suspect if you and I had read the fine print more carefully we might have bought the Officejet outright, though they're not as common in the store as the Deskjet 9800. Staples carries them, however.

Best of luck,

Scott
Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 9 of 18 (4,107 Views)

"When I purchased the Deskjet 9800 I needed a 64 bit driver for Windows XP 64. I called HP tech support and they told me to install the Officejet Pro 8600 Windows XP 64 bit driver. It has worked just fine.

I am planning to upgrade to Windows & and intend to use the Officejet Windows Vista 64 bit driver."

I suppose you *could* do that, but why? There is a pretty full featured driver included with Windows 7....

- Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Occasional Advisor
Lawrence Baker
Message 10 of 18 (4,107 Views)

Thanks Scott.

I tried a 64-bit Windows XP driver and it did not work. My problem may be in the parallel/USB printer cable I'm using. Bob suggested using a USB A/B printer cable. I also received the same recommendation from an HP tech person.

Bob,

I was not able to find the resident 64-bit Windows 7 printer driver you mentioned? I will give it another try as I may have missed something.

Larry
Occasional Visitor
Owen Mcc
Message 11 of 18 (4,028 Views)

I am having a similar problem with the HP 9800.

I am trying to connect my new laptop (win 7 64) to a server (running XP) that has a USB connection to the HP 9800.

The sad thing is the Win Vista 32 laptop, ( that is a nightmare) works fine with the printer at least.

Any resolution to the problem in this thread?

Owen

Occasional Advisor
Lawrence Baker
Message 12 of 18 (4,028 Views)

Owen MCC,

Bob Headrick and Scott Johnson gave me good info as to the type of cable (USB A/B)and to the resident driver for my Deskjet 9800 in Windows 7.

Problem resolved! Everything is working fine.

Thanks everyone for your good suggestions.

Larry

Occasional Visitor
Dave Walta
Message 13 of 18 (4,028 Views)

The Windows 7 driver for the HP 9800 is NOT a full featured driver. Not sure why that was stated. You loose the capability to detect ink levels on your carts but more importantly, the double-sided printing capability does not work. This is a huge disappointment with HP. I bought my 9800 less than a year ago (for Windows XP computer) and loved the printer. But I was really surprised to find that HP has elected to not insure proper support for this printer in Windows 7. Let me guess....go buy a new model. What's wrong with this picture!
Occasional Advisor
Lawrence Baker
Message 14 of 18 (4,028 Views)

Dave,

The Windows 7 driver works well enough for my needs. I know it is not as complete as a driver designed for Windows 7 will be.

Yes, I am also disappointed in HP's refusing to design a complete Windows 7 driver package for the Deskjet 9800.

Larry

Occasional Visitor
Dave Walta
Message 15 of 18 (4,028 Views)

OK.....update to my last frustrated reply. I found a similar problem referencing Officejet and Photosmart All-in-Ones on HP support so decided to give it a try. It was a very simple solution. Just go back and remove the HP 9800 printer driver (Devices and Printers.....right click on printer and select "remove"). Then turned printer off and then back on. System detected it and reloaded the driver and now double-sided printing works as it should. I'm surprised by this as I just upgraded to Windows 7 just a few days ago so the driver would have been the same. Guess Windows 7 install didn't do a clean install of the driver initially.

My apologies for my frustration.
Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 16 of 18 (4,028 Views)

Dave -

The Windows 7 driver is full featured. You can enable the duplexer as described here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/Vista-Win-7-Duplex-Printing-Troubleshooting-Gu...

As for the ink levels, I just replace them when they are low but you can do the following: turn on the printer. Now press and hold the power button, then press and release the X button, then release the power button. This will print a diagnostic page with information in the LOI line for the ink remaining before the first warning.

- Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Occasional Visitor
ohnoezitasplode
Message 17 of 18 (2,899 Views)

Is there somewhere I can download the driver?  I want to try to install it for my Deskjet 9650 on Windows 8.  It worked for me on 7, maybe it will work on 8.

Occasional Visitor
midship6267
Message 18 of 18 (1,294 Views)

I have deleted my driver and printer twice . I cannot get my printer to print 13x19 with the windows driver can you help.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.