Multiple copies of HPBPRO.EXE & HPBOID.EXE (2993 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Anthony Nunan
Message 1 of 25 (2,993 Views)

Multiple copies of HPBPRO.EXE & HPBOID.EXE

I have a Deskjet 6940 printer, and everytime I print something 2 copies of HPBPRO.EXE & HPBOID.EXE start running, but only one copy of each stops running when the print job is finished. (As shown in Task Manager) This consumes about 5mb of memory each time, causing problems with the machine over a period of time.

I have read of multiple problems with these two files, but nothing exactly as described.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this? HP's "Tech Support" solution was to uninstall & reinstall the drivers, but as this is happening on all my machines (2 XP & 1 w2k) I think I am being fobbed off, especially in the light of all the other problems with these files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Sam Wells
Message 2 of 25 (2,993 Views)

Re: Multiple copies of HPBPRO.EXE & HPBOID.EXE

We have the same problem. Ours is connected using the network connection.
Does the problem occur using the USB connection? Our printer is on site so can't test.

Have spoken to HP, they told me to disable HPWuSchd2 & HP Digital Imaging Monitor using msconfig.
I did this and it stopped printing altogether.

Task manager attached.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dustin Cox
Message 3 of 25 (2,993 Views)

We also have this problem. Except the processes never seem to terminate. We are using the latest version of the software and we are using it as a network printer. I would definitely say that HP has a problem with this driver (released April of 2006) and using the printer as a network printer. I haven't tried the USB as I wanted to share this printer across two computers without worrying about if the other PC was on. I find this problem really annoying and I have to reboot at least daily...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Arthurphere Huang
Message 4 of 25 (2,993 Views)

I also found this problem in my sister's PC, with HP LaserJet 1010, after she complained for memory consumption is critical all the time.

I just found your message and surprised there is no answer by HP, a traditional 'world-class' enterprise?

To HP,

Should we go to customer organization so you can start replying solution to this?
Please use plain text.
Visitor
AJGarvin
Message 5 of 25 (2,993 Views)

I just became aware of hpbpro.exe when my firewall informed me that program was trying to listen to certain ports. From the name, I assumed it was an HP program and tried to learn about it on the support websites, knowing that the amount of detail available on HP's support websites almost always seems dismally inadequate. This was no exception.

I could find that hpbpro.exe is part of EAC and, eventually, I found out what EAC stands for. But I still don't know what hpbpro.exe does, whether I need it, how I'd disable it if I don't need it. One person mentioned in this thread that HP suggested they disable some Windows Startup or Service, but that their printer then ceased to print at all.

Can anyone provide some authoritative basic information about hpbpro.exe or links to such information?

By the way, my HP printers are connected directly to the network.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mukesh Singh
Message 6 of 25 (2,993 Views)

Hi,

Please follow the below steps:

Start dcomcnfg.exe on the offending computer and navigate to
"Component Services\Computers\My Computer\DCOM Config"

Right Click on "HP Port Resolver"

Click on the "Location" tab

Change the settings so that only the "Run application on the computer where the data is located" option is checked.

Regards

I hope this helps with this set of problems.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mukesh Singh
Message 7 of 25 (2,993 Views)

Cont...

If the issue persists, we have a patch for this fis:

ftp://hpbpro:patch@hprc.external.hp.com

Copy the entire link and paste it in the address bar of the internet browser and click on "GO".

And save the file on the desktop.

Extract the ZIP file and double click on the exe file to install it.

Information about the patch:

ftp://hprc.external.hp.com/

Please get back with the result.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jeremiah Tussey
Message 8 of 25 (2,993 Views)

I have encountered the same problem with a HP Photosmart C6180 AiO. Are there any fixes for this printer, or are the suggested fixes for the HP Laser Printer applicable to this printer as well?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Anthony Nunan
Message 9 of 25 (2,993 Views)

Some progress.

Now only one copy of BPBPRO, but still multiple copies of HPBOID.

Tony
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Daniel F. Kudwien
Message 10 of 25 (2,993 Views)

To fix this bug,

* download the hpbpro fix from
ftp://hpbpro:patch@hprc.external.hp.com

* log on with user having administrative privileges

* Kill any existing hpboid.exe and hpbpro.exe processes.

* execute hpbprofix_svr.exe contained in the downloaded archive

* run dcomcnfg

* navigate to
"Component Services\Computers\My Computer\DCOM Config"

* Open properties for "HP Port Resolver"

* Click on the "Location" tab and change the settings so that only the "Run application on the computer where the data is located" option is checked.

* Repeat last step for properties of "HP Status Server"

* Test if this patch worked by logging out and in from windows.

* If there are still instances of hpboid.exe and hpbpro.exe invoked then go ahead:

* Kill those processes.

* Start dcomcnfg again and navigate to the above mentioned target.

* Open properties for "HP Port Resolver"

* Click on the "Security" tab and change the settings so that "Execute and activation permissions" option is set to 'Default'.

* Repeat last step for properties of "HP Status Server"

Extended procedure was needed on one of our terminal servers. Other servers were fixed by executing the patch and changing Location options only.

HP, it's time for a new patch. It's unbelievable to get such problems only due to re-installing a printer driver on a central print server. Some time ago you provided neat network printer drivers without that ugly DCOM stuff.

keywords: planta, hp, hpboid.exe
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
BR681759
Message 11 of 25 (2,696 Views)

I tried all the DCOM-related fixes but those two DCOM services reset themselves back to the previous settings every time they are used?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jon Wooten
Message 12 of 25 (2,696 Views)

This message is for "Daniel F. Kudwien" who replied back in January to this issue, or anyone who has followed those steps. We are having the same problem on all five of our terminal servers where the spoolsv.exe service hangs unexpectedly. Everything seems to be pointing to this HP Port Resolver and HP Status Resolver. I'm curious, what was the "extended procedure" for your terminal servers?

Jon Wooten
Sys Admin
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jon Wooten
Message 13 of 25 (2,696 Views)

Has anyone found a good solution to this problem? I have read through this thread and the other one that has been going on for two years. The processes still come back even though I've tried all the suggestions. The problem is occuring on our terminal servers where I have many HP drivers installed. What was the more extensive procedure for terminal servers?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
JR_Garrett
Message 14 of 25 (2,696 Views)

I'm having the problem too and have tried all the half-hearted "DCOM dance" circumventions suggested by HP support. None of them have worked.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Peter Adler
Message 15 of 25 (2,696 Views)

Here it is February 2008, and I have the problem also. 10 instances of HPBOID.exe and 11 instances of HPBPRO.exe -- and I haven't even printed anything since re-booting. Most of these processes are only using 64K. One instance of HPBPRO is using 1172K. This is for a DJ6988.

I had a strange problem last night, where the hp port monitor "forgot" the IP of the printer and I had to re-enter it manually before I could print again.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
KentC
Message 16 of 25 (2,696 Views)

Try this thread.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=370850

I followed Matthew Ornawka's advice, dated Dec 7, 2004.
Uninstall all drivers.
Edit the INF and remove the reference to the files and delete the DLL's from the driver folder.
Re-install drivers, no problems since.

Tedious but simple. Going forward, all new drivers need to be checked for references to HPBPRO.EXE & HPBOID.EXE.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Peter Adler
Message 17 of 25 (2,696 Views)

Actually, what seems to have worked for me was simply deleting hpbpro.exe and hpboid.exe from the two directories in which both were located: c:\winnt\system32 and c:\winnt\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3. This was suggested to me by hp support online chat.
I had to stop both of the processes from running in order to delete the files from the second directory, and hpbpro re-started itself after a few seconds until I figured out that I could quickly delete the file right after a clicked "end process tree" in Task Manager.

I'm not sure what functions these two executables perform (hpbpro is the "Port Resolver" but I don't know what it does), but the hp support tech asserted that they were not really necessary for printing.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Peter Adler
Message 18 of 25 (2,696 Views)

Further to my last post ...

For what it's worth, here's what I have discovered about this issue. The following is for a stand-alone PC running Win XP Pro sp2. There used to be an hp Deskjet 6840 connected wirelessly. That was uninstalled and replaced by a wireless Deskjet 6988.

On boot, HPBPRO.exe appeared in Task Manager.
For each print job, an additional HPBPRO.exe and an HPBOID.exe were spawned. Thus, for example, after 3 print jobs, I would have 4 instances of HPBPRO.exe and 3 instances of HPBOID.exe.

In C:\WINNT\system32 there was a copy of HPBOID.exe version 1.0.45.0 and a copy of HPBPRO.exe version 1.0.45.0.

In C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 there was a copy of HPBOID.exe version 1.0.46.0 and a copy of HPBPRO.exe version 1.0.50.0.

First, I deleted all four exe files. This solved the issue of HPBOID and HPBPRO appearing in Task Manager. However, although documents could be printed from various applications (e.g., Notepad, Word, Firefox), attempting to print a Test Page from the printer Properties dialog failed.

I restored the deleted HPBOID and HPBPRO files one by one. It turns out that having HPBOID.exe and HPBPRO.exe in C:\WINNT\system32 has no effect. That is, instances of these processes are NOT spawned when printing, and the Test Page still fails. If BOTH HPBPRO.exe and HPBOID.exe are restored to C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 then things return to "normal" -- that is, multiple instances of these processes are spawned and the Print Test Page button works.

If only HPBOID.exe is restored, Test Page fails and no processes are started. If only
HPBPRO.exe is restored, Test Page fails, one -- and only one -- instance of HPBPRO.exe appears in Task Manager no matter how many print jobs are run. It does not matter which version of the files are restored.

I never deleted the two DLL files (HPBOIDPS.dll and HPBPROPS.dll).

For no particular reason, I left HPBPRO.exe version 1.0.50.0 stay in
C:\WINNT\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 and renamed HBPOID.exe to keep it from being executed. I don't know what a "Port Resolver" does, and things seem to work OK without it, but without the HPBOID.exe file, Port Resolver seems to have become better behaved. I just can't print a Test Page.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
stace
Message 19 of 25 (2,696 Views)

I have seen various solutions suggested for this issue on different forums. Having this issue on our print server. Would really like to try the HPBPROFIX referenced in the article: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00601047&jumpi...

Has anyone been able to login? Called HP three times and have not been able to get this fix.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Joris Linssen
Message 20 of 25 (2,696 Views)

SL2008 - I can't login either. However, PeteA's solution works really well. The multiple instances are gone and the delay from print command to actual output has decreased significantly for me.

Good luck - Joris.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Peter Adler
Message 21 of 25 (2,699 Views)

SL2008 --

There seems to be no way to actually get HPBPROFIX. HP appears to have changed the access to that ftp server, and none of the several hp support people with whom I have communicated was willing or able to give me another way to obtain the file.

In any event, from what I've been able to determine, that file won't help anyway. I believe it was (once) a newer version of hpbpro.exe, but that it is now the same as the current version.

The definitive solution is to delete these 2 files as described in my 2-12-08 posts. Just don't forget that you won't be able to print a Test Page from printer properties (or you'll end up tearing your hair out until you do remember).
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
stace
Message 22 of 25 (2,699 Views)

Thanks for the replies! I believe we do have an older version of HPBPRO.exe (older than 1.5) on the server. Pete A's solution does not seem like a good one for us if we lose the ability to send Windows test pages from printer properties. Would like to at least try the HPBPROFIX. Just spoke with HP support and they are supposedly going to email me the file (we will see, been down this road before).
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ian Stanley
Message 23 of 25 (2,699 Views)

Well I have seen this problem several times, mainly with our Citrix environment. Interestingly enough in the April 2008 edition of supported printer drivers for Citrix the driver that was causing us the most problems (HP LJ 9000 PCL5e) has been updated to recommended minimum driver to be the HP Universal Driver...Anyhow here are the links, I'm off to do some testing...

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX110571

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp/menuitem.863c3e4cbcdc3f3515b49c108973a801/?ciid=6508f321e...

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-8465ENW.pdf

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
larry budd
Message 24 of 25 (2,699 Views)

Our terminal server actually will build up a collection of between 100 to 200 of these hanging files daily at 3 MB each which comes to 600 MB of wasted RAM DAILY! I wrote a script to dump the hanging files during off hours to be sure I didn't destroy a print job by running the script during the working hours (I've ran them from a command prompt during the day without any user complaints). The following script does kill the hung processes. It is being run using Windows Task Scheduler at 3:30 AM every morning to unhook the processes so they donâ t build up in the hive past a couple hundred.

With notepad I typed the following script commands:

net stop spooler
taskkill /F /IM HPBOID.exe
taskkill /F /IM HPBPRO.exe
net start spooler

Then I saved the file with the following file name: KillPro.cmd (not KillPro.cmd.txt)

The file was saved to the following path on the terminal server: C:\Windows\System32

I use the Windows Task Scheduler to run the KillPro.cmd file at 3:30 AM every morning. When I come to work the files no longer exist each day and a new set of these two files get hung each time a print job is run from a terminal session.

I've tried to disable the port resolver (HPBPRO) and all redirected print jobs don't print. So, I needed to keep it. The HPBOID file reports the status of the printer and is not needed to print. I've disabled the HPBOID.exe and the HPBOID.dll files by renaming them to something like HPBOID.azz and they will somehow find a way to return. So I gave up and decided to kill them during the night as they sleep.....

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Julie Tindol
Message 25 of 25 (2,699 Views)

Same thing happens on my terminal server - I think I am going to try:
Jul 28, 2008 22:01:49 GMT Unassigned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our terminal server actually will build up a collection of between 100 to 200 of these hanging files daily at 3 MB each which comes to 600 MB of wasted RAM DAILY! I wrote a script to dump the hanging files during off hours to be sure I didn't destroy a print job by running the script during the working hours (I've ran them from a command prompt during the day without any user complaints). The following script does kill the hung processes. It is being run using Windows Task Scheduler at 3:30 AM every morning to unhook the processes so they donâ⠬⠢t build up in the hive past a couple hundred.

With notepad I typed the following script commands:

net stop spooler
taskkill /F /IM HPBOID.exe
taskkill /F /IM HPBPRO.exe
net start spooler

Then I saved the file with the following file name: KillPro.cmd (not KillPro.cmd.txt)

The file was saved to the following path on the terminal server: C:\Windows\System32

I use the Windows Task Scheduler to run the KillPro.cmd file at 3:30 AM every morning. When I come to work the files no longer exist each day and a new set of these two files get hung each time a print job is run from a terminal session.

I've tried to disable the port resolver (HPBPRO) and all redirected print jobs don't print. So, I needed to keep it. The HPBOID file reports the status of the printer and is not needed to print. I've disabled the HPBOID.exe and the HPBOID.dll files by renaming them to something like HPBOID.azz and they will somehow find a way to return. So I gave up and decided to kill them during the night as they sleep.....

I called HP and they told me to update the drivers. ..
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation