HP Business Inkjet 2800 with Windows 7 (38098 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Seth Hirschi
Message 1 of 17 (38,098 Views)

HP Business Inkjet 2800 with Windows 7

I have a HP business inkjet 2800 and just purchased a new computer with windows 7 pro 64 bit. It has been installed and prints letter fine but when I send a 11x17 print it kicks out a blank letter sheet and says processing for about 5-10 min and goes back to ready without printing the document I sent to it. Any Suggestions?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
DPLUS
Message 2 of 17 (37,986 Views)

Re: HP Business Inkjet 2800 with Windows 7

I am having the same issue. The only difference is i'm running 32bit windows 7 home professional. Does anyone have any fixes for this?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Alan McDowell
Message 3 of 17 (37,805 Views)

Currently HP only have the basic pcl5 driver for the HP2800, and it is very basic and doesn't allow full function of the machine.  I've had this problem for several months now in toour office with two of these machines.  Until HP update the drivers and provide a PCL6 or PS driver we've actually had to simply shelve the priners as we've spent too much office time trying to create work-arounds.  Annoyingly, this is still a current printer available from HP and they sell W7 on all their new computers yet there is a serious compatability issue (we've a coupld of Cannon printers as wel and had new W7 drivers already available when we upgraded our network to W7).  Best advice, search through the Q&A here as there have been a couple of work-arounds recomended by others, and email HP seeking clarification fo their intent re. driver updates.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Alan McDowell
Message 4 of 17 (37,699 Views)

As stated in the Support pages of HP, the generic W7 pcl5 driver only allows basis functionality and I think this is an understatement.  We've tow of these printers and have stuggled for several months now ot get any level of functionality/performance out of them using W7.

Just had a conversation with a very helpful person from HP Support.  Supposedly the Business Injet Printer is now obsolete and won't be getting updated driver support for W7.  I find this quite annoying since the printer is still listed for direct sale from HP so how can it be considered obsolete for Windows 7 support.

The Support Technician did promise to check and see if there are any other printer drivers available that would ficntion correctly with the printer and advise accordingly.  I'll post again once I receive confirmation.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Alan McDowell
Message 5 of 17 (37,675 Views)

[ Edited ]

From HP Support today:

I am sorry to inform you that there will be only inbuilt driver support for this printer on Windows 7 and no full feature driver will be released.

And there is no issues printing muiltple copies, however Tray 2 issues persists on this printer while using Windows 7.

So could i close this case as "information provided".

Well, that's it.  No driver for the BI 2800 so the investment we made in business grade printers is to consigned to the scrap heap.  Given every other non-hp printer (which are all older the the BI2800) have had W7 driver updates. i feel sorry for anyone that happens to purchse a new BI2800 off the HP website only to find it's not compatable with their new PC.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
bwp1216
Message 6 of 17 (37,665 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.  When I contacted HP support they tried to charge me to fix the issue.... even though the have no fix.

HP did it to us again..... First with NT 64-bit and now with Windows7 32-bit and 64-bit.  They took away half the printers in our company.... from laser printers to 11x17 and even large scale plotters.

Why does HP want to exclude new technology?  If drivers are not available soon the replacement printers and plotters WILL be from another manufacturer.... and no, using the generic driver rapes the printer of the ability to even do 11x17 - the reason we purchased printer.

Cannot believe the cost to modify a driver is worth losing millions of customers and the revenue that goes with it. 

Someone is not seeing the big picture.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Alan McDowell
Message 7 of 17 (37,477 Views)

I tried t leave a product review on the HP retail section, a totally non-offensive review which simply tried to highlightWindows 7 issues to potential purchasers (since the product is still sold directly by HP despite them telling me it's obsolete and thus won't get driver support) but oddly they declined to post my review.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ghero
Message 8 of 17 (36,846 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP Ink Jet 2800 is not supported by a Win 7 driver. There is a generic driver - Universal Print Driver - but it is not capable of using all the 2800's features.
Two Workarounds - Run an XP driver within Win 7 XP Mode, or keep a PC on the network running XP and print from there.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bruce Wahler
Message 9 of 17 (35,398 Views)

How does one run an XP printer driver in XP compatiblity mode?  I know how to run *programs* that way, but drivers?

Regards,

-BW

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Bruce Wahler
Message 10 of 17 (34,546 Views)

I finally got everything to work using the HP 2500C PostScript driver.  The extra functionality is there, but Tray 2 is *not* directed to 'Tray 2' in the driver -- it lives at the first external tray (MP5, I think)!

I wrote a more detailed description a few days ago.  Search on my screen name for more details.

Regards,

-Bruce Wahler

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Erwing
Message 11 of 17 (28,563 Views)

Hi 

Can you please post the steps for work with 2500C PostScript driver
Thanks in advance
" finally got everything to work using the HP 2500C PostScript driver. ..."

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Rich Wold
Message 12 of 17 (28,145 Views)

Just updated driver list in windows 7 and a PCL5 and PS driver came up for the HP 2800 Business Inkjet. No 13 x 19 sheet available and it didn't want to save my custom paper size settings but there seems to be some hope for a working windows 7 driver....

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Twein
Message 13 of 17 (23,497 Views)

Hello everyone.

I found my solution for our problem with this printer.

HP Business Inkjet 2800 dtn seems to have the same issue as memory lack in a laser printers. In my case it printed piece of * when a print reached max PPI (driver isn’t able to lower quality of an image)

After two days of searching: let’s say we do have 2800 + duplex and second tray as said in dtn shortcut

1 tray – A3 420x297 [mm] why in first tray? I will explain

2 tray – A4 210x297 [mm]

For very fast A3 printing use driver for HP Officejet k7100 series delivered by Microsoft. Wide prints but this driver do not have secondary tray (seen in his properties but it doesn’t work for 2800dtn) If you do not have secondary tray it will be enough for you to read.

Since we have A3 prints in tray 1 and everything is fine. Put A4 in tray 2 and install second driver as for HP Business Inkjet 3000 PCL6 (brought to you as well with Windows Update)

Very important thing – you will have to set up in your printer that tray 1 contains A3 paper and second tray – A4 paper. Next – in property panel of this driver set source as tray: automatic (printer) else didn’t work in my case.

Last important thing: USB works as ment to be with those two drivers but I don’t know if my two network cards don’t work or I have bad luck with it. Sometimes works with my network cards but when?

In the end you should have two drivers/two printers in windows „printers and devices” panel named:
„A3 USB k7100 tray 1” (I named it so) or something like that on port USB1(or 2,3,4…)

„A4 USB 3000 tray 2” port USB1 (or 2,3,4…)

Sorry if there were some language mistakes. Hope it helped and greetings from Poland.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
hey_RJ
Message 14 of 17 (23,132 Views)

I have just finished a paid phone call to HP Support regarding this issue. 

It is a show stopper. 

Here I was prepared to take a $160 dollar hit to solve this problem and share the solution to everyone out there just as frustrated as I am with this company calling this new printer obsolete and old.  

They don't have a solution.  End of Story.  The explanation is that the PCL5 driver cannot reach the features of this printer and they don't plan on writing a driver for Windows 7 that will address it. 

The only work around is to try the solution mentioned above to have Win7 emulate the real driver in XP mode.

Stay tuned and I will report back on any success, and if so, the steps to get it to work.

John

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Twein
Message 15 of 17 (22,738 Views)

True as many others wrote so...

Read post above and use other drivers from other printers... which can reach all functions of 2800dtn

Please use plain text.
EPM
Occasional Visitor
EPM
Message 16 of 17 (21,092 Views)

Hewlett Packard  needs to address this issue ALL OF US SPENT $1000 ON A PRINTER THAT DOESNT PRINT 11 X 17

Since you have found a way to correct it can you PLEASE make a You Tube video and show the rest of us how to do it?

That would be greatly appreciated.

I did not spend a thousand dollars on a printer that I needed specifically 11 x 17 and I am not able to print 11 x 17 because Hewlett Packard refuses to make a patch for windows 7!!!!! Yes and when I called them they asked me to pay  additional money for a response that they did not guarantee  would work

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
sallooma
Message 17 of 17 (9,811 Views)

good job

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation