Deskjet 1220c Paper Feed problem (873 Views)
Occasional Visitor
StephL
Message 1 of 8 (873 Views)
Accepted Solution

Deskjet 1220c Paper Feed problem

I have had this printer for a number of years and it has decided that it won't feed any photo paper or anything thicker than standard plain paper. The paper is pulled towards the printer but not enough to engage properly with the rollers and so the printer starts printing with the paper not under the print heads. Plain paper works fine but nothing else. Any help greatly appreciated - I don't want to have to get a new one just for a problem like this when the print quality is fine.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mcprinter
Message 2 of 8 (873 Views)

Re: Deskjet 1220c Paper Feed problem

Feed the thicker paper through the manual feed at the rear of the printer.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
StephL
Message 3 of 8 (873 Views)

My printer sits on a high shelf and I can't take it down every time I want to print something -weighs quite a lot. It used to work fine - is there nothing else I can do?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Mcprinter
Message 4 of 8 (873 Views)

Take the back panel off by rotating the lock.
Clean each of the rubber rollers with a water dampened cotton cloth.
Hold the cloth against one roller and rotate one of the other rollers so that you clean the entire surface.

Remember to fully lock the back panel back on or the printer will not power up.

If this does not work you could try a rubber cleaner like this platen cleaner spray.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
CA1323513
Message 5 of 8 (873 Views)

My 1120C has similar problem with heavier paper. If you can feed from the back, I found it depends on just where the rollers and sensor stopped when last used. If it doesn't pick up, I turn printer off and on again and when it settles down, hold the sheet firmly into the back, at some point I can feel it grip about 1/8" more or less and then feeds OK. Sometimes have to try more than once or twice shutting off and turning on printer in between. My printer is a little harder to disassemble for back rollers than the 1220 but I'm going to do that too. I just bought a printer cleaner pack at Staples as recommended by HP and intend to really clean it up good. It's going on 10 years and needs a bit of babying, but I don't do volumes of stuff. A little spring binder clip stratigically placed on back paper vertical guide keeps that edge of paper flat and also helps.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
StephL
Message 6 of 8 (873 Views)

Thanks. It's hard to find - am having to order it online - once it's arrived and I've used I will report back. Hope to goodness that this works I really don't want to have to get another printer!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
StephL
Message 7 of 8 (873 Views)

My order of Platenclene arrived today so I took the printer to pieces again and cleaned all the rollers thoroughly. Having put it all back together I am now able to print on certain photo paper (kodak) which is great but it still won't feed the thicker Ilford stuff highly frustrating but at least there has been some progress!

thanks for your help :)
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MarkHays
Message 8 of 8 (751 Views)

Solution for Deskjet 1220c paper feed problems

I have an HP 1220C that was sitting in a closet for a couple of years.  When I fired it up again to print some large photos, I ran into all of the paper feed problems listed on this post, with standard and photo paper.  After some trial and error, here is what worked:

(1) Clean the 'paper pickup' roller:  This is the most important step.  The pickup roller is responsible for the initial feed of the top sheet in the paper bin.  It is not easily accessible, however; you can see it (a flashlight helps) if you look into the paper loading slot on the front side of the printer. One dark gray roller is visible at the top right.  I used a clean, damp 'Scotch Brite' kitchen sponge that measures 3.5" x 4" x 1" -- small enough to fit in the paper slot.  I inserted it into the paper slot, so that the top edge of the sponge touched the pickup roller, and held onto the outside end.  Then I 'printed' a document to the 1220C, which caused the pickup roller to spin, trying to load paper.  After a couple of cycles, the 'paper' button lite up, and I pressed it again to repeat the cycle.  After a couple of cycles, the roller was clean. 

(2) Clean the main paper feed rollers, which are accessible if you turn the dial and open the access door on the rear of the 1220C.  'Print' another document to the 1220C (with no paper in the bin, of course!) and the rollers will spin slowly.  Run the damp sponge along the rollers, and repeat the cycle until all of the rollers are completely clean.

If you insert and close the rear access door but your printer will not power on (or powers on briefly then immediately powers off), the dial on the back of the access door is not completely closed.  The dial must be turned until the arrow points directly at the 'lock' symbol.  You should hear a 'click' when it reaches the locked position.

I hope this is helpful!

Mark Hays

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation