designjet 500 color problem (960 Views)
Occasional Advisor
CA1153780
Message 1 of 13 (960 Views)

designjet 500 color problem

I'm printing on a designjet 500 from Corel or Adobe and the colors I see on the screen does not match the output. (on hp bright white inkjet paper). Red looks more like brown...
I've tried many combinations of color management in Corel but with no significant improvement. I have also done the plotter's color calibration
Also when I obtain the closest match on bright white paper, than I have color problems on photo paper (everything gets greenish)
So how can I obtain the closest match between what I see on the screen and the output?
Honored Contributor
Sa'ad Mu'asher
Message 2 of 13 (960 Views)

Re: designjet 500 color problem

Hi,

First what brand of media are you using? It is highly recommended to use HP or HP-approved media.
Try selecting the " No color correction" through the Printing Preferences-->Color tab--> Printed color control menu. If persists try other options over there.
Does the alignment pattern print perfectly? If the same problem appears on internal built-in tests this means you are having Printheads problem. Discover the failing ones by printing the Printhead Alignment.

Try this and keep us posted please.

Regards,

Sa'ad
If there is a will, there is a way.
Occasional Advisor
CA1153780
Message 3 of 13 (960 Views)

As I said - on hp bright white inkjet paper (C6036A)
Yes the color calibrating and alignment pages are perfect.
The plotter is new, so I can't think of it like a plotter problem.
I have done now some more tests with different settings in color management of Corel and I've got a close match between what I see and what I get. It would be much easyer to have a predefined color palette in hand to compare with, but I don't have one.
Now the big surprise it will be printing on photo paper. I will try it later or tommorow.
Thank you for your quick answer.
If I'll get to the bottom of this I'll let you know. Any other tips or ideas will be welcome.
Honored Contributor
Sa'ad Mu'asher
Message 4 of 13 (960 Views)

Oops...Sorry for not noticing that you have already used HP genuine papers as mentioned. Hope the above tips will be helpful so far.

Awaiting the good results.

BR

Sa'ad
Respected Contributor
CA1109344
Message 5 of 13 (960 Views)

There is actually a fix from HP that should take care of this for you. Upgrade your plotters Firmware and use the NEW media profiles. Use this link for complete directions to do this :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpp03460

*** IMPORTANT ***

If you have the HPGL2 Accessory card you will HAVE TO remove it prior to upgrading the firmware. When the Engine FW has been upgraded to A,02.10 then you will need to run the utility again to upgrade the HPGL2 card firmware ( formatter fw )

You will have to wait until the plotter shows a picture on the front panel of the plotter and power cord - the pull the plg. That is how the new firmware is saved.

Do not turn it of or disturb the power in anyway

Do not print to it ( remove the network connection or parallel / usb cables )

After you have the new FW Installed there will be a new item at the end of the media type list - ENHANCED COLORS. Select it and you will see the entire list again with an 'EC' after each. Choose these to correct your color shift
HHHhhmmm ..... OK
Occasional Advisor
CA1153780
Message 6 of 13 (960 Views)

I've tried this several times. I've downloaded the dj500_a0210.exe from the site, but after install it keeps saying that my dj500 is unsupported and I don't know why.
And I don't have the hpgl card, it's just designjet 500.
btw the engine fw in the plotter is a0208
I've tried even the a0209 but with same results. Both downloaded from the windows xp section because this is what I have on my pc.
Strange isn't it ?
Occasional Advisor
CA1153780
Message 7 of 13 (960 Views)

...and the connection is by LPT
Honored Contributor
Sa'ad Mu'asher
Message 8 of 13 (960 Views)

Bertalan,

This is how to upgrade the Firmware via Parallel port if it failed to upgrade as usual:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=2...

Hope this helps.

sa'ad

Occasional Advisor
CA1153780
Message 9 of 13 (960 Views)

I've succeded to match colors but just for vector graphics (rectangles, text... with solid fill) without upgrading.
Still have the problem on hp high-gloss photo paper with bitmaps (photos)getting greenish.
I've upgraded the fw to a0210 and yes I have the extra media (with ec) to choose (I don't know how I passed the section with ms-dos at first reading) but on photo paper, pictures that were made with a hp 635 camera are getting the same green tint. On a hp 5150 the same picture gets brilliant.
I resolved this issue once a while ago but I don't remember the setting that were in the color management. All I can remember is that it was a very simple matter of Corel's color management. Something that has to do with a setting of the printer to some kind of HP LaserJet so you can fool the color management.
I will get to the bottom of this in the next days.
Everyone who is interested about my Corel color management settings (Corel 12) for vector solid fill let me know at bebi@cumulus.ro
When I'll solve the photo problem I'll post the two settings here to help others with same problems.
Thanks to all of you for now.
Respected Contributor
CA1109344
Message 10 of 13 (960 Views)

Here is the setting you should look at in the driver :

In the Printing Preferences, go to the Color tab, then select " No Color Correction" and see is that works for you. You can als try the 'user defined' correction but that is a lot more involved.

Have you tried to select CMYK/RGB in the application? I know Photoshop will alow you to switch between RGB and CMYK rendering but I am not sure about Corel. If you use RGB then select CMYK and the other was as well.
HHHhhmmm ..... OK
Occasional Advisor
CA1153780
Message 11 of 13 (1,107 Views)

Yes I've tried with no color, vivid, match screen, user defined, but with all of them I've got the same result - the black is not black, it's with a green tint because black is made from CMY and I don't know why it puts too much from C and Y so it gets green black. Too bad that you can't adjust the level for each color. I think that the only walkthrough is to manually adjust the picture in a photo editor to take out some of green but this will affect the other colors too. It's a circle.
Or maybe it's from the contrast of the picture. I didn't got it yet, but I'm still trying.
How that on some HP printers a photo gets out super and on other HP product you have to dig for the best settings ?
Maybe it will be there another FW upgrade that will solve this. I've seen on the forums many people with this problem and no solid answer.
Respected Contributor
BR699956
Message 12 of 13 (1,107 Views)

Color is one of the most diffult things to get really right.

But you should be able to get decent results.

Select the correct media in the printer display when you load media.
Disable all color correction in Corel or Adobe.
You should only use color correction in one place!
Either the application or the printer.
Never both.
My best bet is to not use the application color correction and choose "Match Screen" or "No Color Correction" in the windows color settings.
Your output will always be RGB, only with PostScript you will be able to send CMYK.
(or both combined) Your printer does not have the option to use PostScript unless you install a third party RIP.
With your driver the printer will always have to convert the RGB data to the four color inks that it uses.
Therefor it is sort of useless to have your application do color correction unless you really know what you are doing and have the exactly correct profiles for everything.

The latest firmware updates the color conversion tables that are used in the printer to get better results with RGB data.

Also, what is good on the screen is not always good in print.
There is a range of colors that can be composed with 4 colors of ink. (CMYK)
The range of colors that can be made with 3 colors of light (RGB) is LARGER than the printer color range. This is called "out of gamut". The color on the screen simply can not be made with inks sometimes.
(In CorelDraw, CorelPaint and Adobe PhotoShop there is actually an option to display colors that are out of gamut in a different tint)

Well, bottom line is, the original image should be as good as possible to achieve good printing results.
defects like JPG compression that do not show on the screen will be awfully visible in print - your printer has a larger resolution.

The issue you mention with photo paper when all is ok on Bright White paper is caused by something else.
The 500/800 series have pigmented black ink for crisp sharp lines on normal bond paper.
(great for fast, yet sharp CAD line printing on cheap media)
This ink does not dry well - or at all - on any special media like gloss or satin photo paper.
It does not mix with the other colors which are "dye" inks.
Therefore, whenever you select a photo paper in the printer, it will always "emulate" black using the 3 colored inks, and will not use the black ink for the dark tones.
The result is a color cast in the darker shades.
This is a product limitation (or a benefit when you use it just for CAD) and can not be fixed. Other printers that use pigmented black are the Designjet 100 and 1000 series.
The Designjet 10/20/50; 30; 120; 130 use all dye inks.
Designjet 5000 series can be either Dye or UV ink. (where UV ink has about the same color properties as the Dye ink)

I hope this answers some of your questions!
Occasional Visitor
specializer
Message 13 of 13 (1,107 Views)

Did you get the problem solved?
I am having problems with the DesignJet 500
reds are printing either brown or dark blue
depends on what I try in the color management.
I have Photoshop CS4

Please if you can
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.