Win 8 and Win 7 driver compatibility for 755CM (3664 Views)
Valued Contributor
D Hook1
Message 1 of 14 (3,664 Views)

Win 8 and Win 7 driver compatibility for 755CM

I have a driver for Win 7 64bit that works great on a 755CM printer.  Does anyone know if Win 8 has changed so much the driver will no longer work?  I'm on Win 7 right now but am looking at going to Win 8.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 2 of 14 (3,632 Views)

Re: Win 8 and Win 7 driver compatibility for 755CM

[ Edited ]

D Hook1 wrote:

I have a driver for Win 7 64bit that works great on a 755CM printer.  Does anyone know if Win 8 has changed so much the driver will no longer work?  I'm on Win 7 right now but am looking at going to Win 8.

Thanks!

I tried the pl532en driver that worked fine for my x64 Win 7 machine with my Designjet 650c and it would not install on my Windows 8 test machine, it complained probably due to the driver not being signed.  At this point I do not know a workaround, I will need to dig into this a bit more.

win8.png

{-- If this helped click the Kudos star.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Valued Contributor
D Hook1
Message 3 of 14 (3,616 Views)

Bob:

Thanks for the reply.  Please let us know what you find, if there's a work-around.

Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 4 of 14 (3,602 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, I got the pl532en driver to work in Windows 8 by temporarily disabling the driver signing checks as described here.  It works fine now on my Win 8 x64 test machine for my Designjet 650C. 

Valued Contributor
D Hook1
Message 5 of 14 (3,596 Views)

That's perfect Bob!  Thanks for looking into this.  I'm sure it will help others, too.

Occasional Visitor
Powder6
Message 6 of 14 (2,944 Views)

I tried the pl532en driver that worked fine for my x64 Win 8.

But since I must click in "advanced tab" of the driver "process document if the printer runs out of memory select in computer" in this case It doesn't work and Iam not able to print. In other words I don't get the file print, it is 0 Kbyte.

Does Anybody have the same problem? May anyone help me?

Thanks 

Occasional Visitor
RogF
Message 7 of 14 (2,699 Views)

The "disable driver signing" link is dead. Could you put the information here?

Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 8 of 14 (2,694 Views)

Google disable driver signing windows 8 for a number of hits.  The link here goes step by step through the details of setting the startup options to allow unsigned drivers.

Occasional Advisor
BrainsUK
Message 9 of 14 (2,608 Views)

Bob, followed the advice and instructions throughout your excellent advice. Managed to load driver and disable driver signature enforcement. When I try to print anything, it simply does not print. Message appears to tell me it has been sent to printer but thats where it ends! Is it related to the driver? I am operating with windows 8 (unfortunately) wish I had never left XP!!!

Valued Contributor
D Hook1
Message 10 of 14 (2,595 Views)

How are you connecting to the printer? LPT1 or USB?
Occasional Visitor
modelman
Message 11 of 14 (1,315 Views)

I am trying to do the same using my new laptop. I have the USB to LPT1 converter cable and the computer sees the printer but will not send data. I have dowlodd the pl file but seem to have problems making it work. Ideas?

Valued Contributor
D Hook1
Message 12 of 14 (1,301 Views)

[ Edited ]

When you say it can see the printer, do you mean it will print a test page from the properties dialogue box?

Also, do you have other printers installed on the same computer? 

Here's a thread that discusses some options:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Designjet-Large-Format/Windows-8-designjet-750c-plus-A0/m-p/61...

And this should be a link to the only cable I've been able to get to work on a USB to LPT1 type conversion: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151035667769?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No affiliation with the seller.  I've used this cable on my laptop and desktop, both are Win7 64bit.  I think I've purchased six of these so far and haven't had any problems.

Also, make sure you're connecting to the correct port on the laptop.

Occasional Visitor
modelman
Message 13 of 14 (1,279 Views)

When
i plug in the cable with the computer and printer turned on it says hardware found HP 755 but that is all. I currentl have an Epson xp400, an Epson xp 420 and a Brother laser printer networked wirelessly to the laptop. The main problem is that my wife wants things cleared out so she got me the laptop for xmas and wants the tower and assorted stuff "gone".

I build scale models and model railroads and the 755 prints great 36" high backdrops. We were assured when we bought the laptop(ASUS) that it would operate the 755 by using the USB to parallel converter which I purchased fro Radio Shack.

Some one suggested telling the install program  that I have a disk and use my XP disk to install the drivers. My tower has W7 on it but had XP prior to that nd the printer works great. Does any of this help?

Valued Contributor
D Hook1
Message 14 of 14 (1,256 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, that help alot.

I would suspect the cable.  I've had the same thing happen when hooking up a 755cm to my laptop (Win7 64bit).  It would acknowledge the hook up of the printer but wouldn't let it talk to the printer.  Take a look at the properties page and see if there's something that says "allow bi-directional..." something.  I've had good results by un-checking that box.

I would also try other USB ports.  What's worked for me is to send a print (test page from the properties page) to the printer.  If the "RECEIVING" light doesn't start blinking, remove the cable from the USB port right away and try plugging it into another port.  If you try all the ports on the laptop and don't see anything being received by the printer then I would suspect the cable for sure.

BTW, the driver listed earlier in this thread should work fine (PL532en?).  Or you can try the Vista version 64bit.  And yes, when loading the driver you tell it you have the disk, then point it to the folder where the driver has been unpacked.  It should then give you a long list of printers the driver will work for.  But I suspect that if you're getting a message that the printer has been recognized, the driver might not be an issue.

Please post back your results so others might benefit from your experience.

Good luck!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.