Re: System Error 21:10 on HP Design Jet 800 (35374 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Pamela Brown_1
Message 1 of 26 (35,374 Views)
Accepted Solution

System Error 21:10 on HP Design Jet 800

I've got a System Error 21:10 when I turn on the HP DesignJet 800. What does this mean?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Gary Cantwell
Message 2 of 26 (35,374 Views)

Re: System Error 21:10 on HP Design Jet 800

Hi Pamela,

The 21:10 error is a problem with the service station on the right hand side. There may be some paper caught in it, open the top cover with the plotter on and the carriage will move allowing you to check the service station,

let me know how you get on,

Cheers,

Gary
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Miguel Asbun
Message 3 of 26 (35,374 Views)

Hi Pamela

I'm getting the same error number, how did you fixed it? I checked and there is no paper caught.

Thanks,
Miguel.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jack Berkenbosch
Message 4 of 26 (35,374 Views)

System Error: 21:10
Problem
Description:
Service Station failure. The possible cause could be:
1. The steps counted by the Service Station motor are not consistent
with the expected length of the current movement.
2. The Aerosol Fan has reached its maximum current limit.
3. The Service Station motor has shutdown because of blockage.
Corrective Action: Replace the Service Station/Aerosol Fan Assembly
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Carl_88
Message 5 of 26 (35,374 Views)

I have the same problem, and with a $5,000 printer, I shouldn't have to pay HP $40 to talk to a technitian on the phone. Anyways, all I can get is the error message-- no buttons work and I read that I might need to replace the service station/ aerosol fan, but how do I know and where would I get it?
Please help-- I have a big job due soon and I need this thing to work!!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Jack Berkenbosch
Message 6 of 26 (35,374 Views)

Hello Carl to get youre parts go to
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main

good luck
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Carl_88
Message 7 of 26 (35,374 Views)

I shut it off, and turned it on again-- same thing happened. Then I held the power button down for 10 seconds to shut it off again. When I turned it on after a few minutes it works perfectly! I just don't see how a serious "system error" can be fixed by holding the power button down for a few seconds!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Diego Bergero
Message 8 of 26 (35,374 Views)

I've the same problem with my plotter! Service Station failure? The problem is just arrive when I have an IMPORTANT job. But there isn't a manual tip for adjust this problem? It's necessary call the assistance? How did you fixed it?
It's the first time for me!
Thank you. Diego.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
John Holter
Message 9 of 26 (35,374 Views)

I was able to clear this error after unplugging the power cord for about 30 seconds. After reinserting the power cord it worked fine. Am I causing more damage to a possibly already damaged part by simply clearing this error?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Paul Inglis
Message 10 of 26 (35,374 Views)

I ended up calling HP but in the end all it needed was new printheads. Unplug the machine and then plug it back in while holding the enter button and the up arrow, this will allow you to enter the hidded troubleshooting menu.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Jim Suprise
Message 11 of 26 (35,373 Views)

21:10 is a dirty service station.
If you open the front cover, on the right hand side you will see a "wheel". This wheel has a scraper that scrapes ink off. After awhilke the ink gets clogged between the scraper and wheel.
The clogged ink will not let the wheel turn which messes up the timing of the service station and throws the error code.
I have removed, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and reinstalled the service station about 300 times on different plotters.
I have had no failures yet.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Bryan Fontes
Message 12 of 26 (35,373 Views)

Followed the advice of the previous posting to clean the wheel and it solved the problem. I had to remove the cover and the service station to access the wheel, and a flat-head screw driver to clean the gummed-up ink. I was able to locate a service manual online with instructions to remove the panel and service station. Here's the link: http://www.computercareonline.com/documents.php.
Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Stojsavljevic
Message 13 of 26 (35,373 Views)

Still not able to resolve â have started to clean up rollers but testing still gives me the following system error 21:10 +
Severe error: 0X3010002
Task: tMech
File : Sequence.c
Line : 758
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Kurta5
Message 14 of 26 (35,373 Views)

I seen this error code > 100 times. Turning the machine on and off will sometimes remove error code, but eventually it comes back. Replace the service station.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Stojsavljevic
Message 15 of 26 (35,373 Views)

Thanks Kurta for getting back to me.
Iâ ve turned this machine off many times and the error still stays â Iâ ve even clean the roller inside the service station but to no avail â whereâ s the best place to purchase a service station? â UK.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Stojsavljevic
Message 16 of 26 (35,373 Views)

Thanks Kurta for getting back to me.
I have turned this machine off many times and the error still stays,I have even clean the roller inside the service station but to no avail, wheres the best place to purchase a service station in the UK.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
D4RkMooN
Message 17 of 26 (35,358 Views)

Hi! I have same error,  21.10 and severe error  0x3010002, when the plotter start i'm wait to the inizialization, afther this, from the service station i can listen a noise , unmount the coven and i see the service station vibrate, ok  the cardriage start, and when it arrive on the top of the service station  the noise returned!  , there 21.10!  ok, I unmount the motor of the service station,  start the plotter  and the error is same , the motor don't have the correct move! I have change 3 services station, belt and perform cleaning of all plotter, i have upgraded the latest firmware. i have try to get out the printhead, and the plotter after inizializzation ceck the 21.10 error, how I do to solve this problem? there are same italian tecnical to help me  by telephon?

best regards

Giovanni Manconi

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 18 of 26 (35,354 Views)

If you removed the right side cover on the right side of the service station is a grey plastic piece that moves from one position to another.  Just flip the piece to the other direction and see if that solves the problem.  If the piece is in the wrong position when the plotter starts you will get the error.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
D4RkMooN
Message 19 of 26 (35,351 Views)

yes I have try to move the gray level, but   the problem is the same!  help meeeeeeee

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mrjohnniewalker
Message 20 of 26 (35,176 Views)

The method Jim Suprise mentions above worked for me. Not difficult to do but very messy.

Step 1: Remove power cable.

Step 2: Remove right side cover (5 screws - 1 inside front - 1 bottom front - 1 top - 2 inside back). Note: The screws in Steps 2, 3, and 4 are all different, so keep them separate. 

Step 3: Remove Service Station (2 screws top - disconnect cable - note alignment and pull station out from right side).

Step 4: Remove top of Service Station (2 screws - pull clip at lower right front forward - push clip on top left back). (Note: when reassembling the station, use a screw driver blade tip to align the top left clip with the corresponding hole and press).

Step 5: Put on gloves (this part is MESSY).

Step 6: Rotate the wheel on the left side while pressing a paper towel to it surface (dipped in rubbing alcohol, if you like). The amount of gummy ink build-up on this wheel is usually pretty disgusting, but that's exactly what is causing the problem. Clean it thoroughly 

CAUTION: The wheel only turns freely in one direction. To rotate it in the other direction, lift the grey lever beside the wheel, but not to far, or else various interlinked pieces of plastic will fall apart and you will then have the pleasure of trying to figure out how to put those back in place.  

(Note: If you want to remove and clean the filter in the spitoon (on the left side of the station) be aware that it has a long narrow section that goes all the way across the bottom length of the station. It may prove to be very difficult to re-insert. Plus, it's probably not part of the problem, anyway.)

Step 7: Reassemble.  

Step 8: Plug in power cable, cross fingers.

Optional Steps 5 and 6: Spend $100 on a new Service Station (part number for HP 800PS = c7769-60149).

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
timwj1
Message 21 of 26 (35,160 Views)

There is a scraper that rides on the flywheel and it gets gummed up, if the service station isn't disassembled and the wheel and wheel cleaner cleaned of all gummy ink you will continue to hae problems.
If you feel my reply has assisted you in repairing your printer please press the kudos star icon on the left and mark as problem solved. Thank you!

TJ
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
civiljoe
Message 22 of 26 (22,920 Views)

I've been having similar problems with the 21:10 error, usually occurring in the Spring when the warmer, damp air starts in. My solution: remove the cleaning station and do a teardown. The main culprit is the big plastic wheel that works like a wiper gets gummed up with dried ink. If you're scared of disassembling something without a diagram just take digital photos of each step. It will be OK. Download the HP service manual and refer to that.

Teardown: 

Once you take the station out, start taking the screwed down parts out, being careful to not break the plastic tabs. Once you're down to taking the little motor off, you can remove the upper assembly from the lower spitoon by working the three tabs. The blind tab (see photo attached) behind the wheel may need some bent-nose needle pliers. You can then take the wheel and the wiper off the upper assembly. Be patient and don't skip this because most of the dried ink builds up between the wheel and on the lower spitoon.

Cleaning:

Carefully disassemble the station to remove the wheel and the scraper and clean all the dried ink off. Use Rubbing Alcohol to loosen the dried ink. Just a little on a Q-tip or a paper towel seemed to work well. An old screwdriver and toothpicks are great too. I like to work on it until the part looks new since I took the trouble to take it apart. Take your time and clean all that ink off.

Reassembly:

Clean up the parts as you reassemble them, generally in reverse order of assembly. Reinstall the cleaning station and power up the printer. When you hear the station running it should be a quiet clicking and whirring, if it's making a loud melodic hum it might be rubbing the wrong way IMHO. 

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
Kim Cilo cilo
Message 23 of 26 (22,802 Views)

Just Removed the Service Station Assembly and removed and separate the Motor, dis-assemble the whole service Station and Washed with water and let Dry and after that Apply Lubricant to move the mechanism normally without any blockage. Done!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
steeplecab
Message 24 of 26 (18,601 Views)

I also just did a complete teardown on the Repair Station and our 800 is back up and running. I have to specially thank "mrjohnniewalker" for the proceedure and "civiljoe" for the photos. The hidden blind tab behind the wheel is the key to getting the spitoon off to get the wheel and scraper free to clean them. It would help to have a sketch of that detail, since it's almost impossible to see. I used a right angle probe to reach back and lift/pry up the tab.

I'd also suggest taking a couple photos of the Repair Station as you take it apart, just to refer to as you reassemble it. The center part of the station moves back and forth in operation and it's helpful to reassemble it right. Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JD Fitch
Message 25 of 26 (12,732 Views)

System Error 21:10 on the DesignJet 500 / 800 and related models:
System error 21:10 is generated when the printer has detected a fault in the Service Station. Causes of this error can include the Service Station or Carriage
(but very rarely is it the carriage assembly)

The above tear down and cleaning advice is some of the best I have seen and advise if you have the time, try it. But, be very careful not to break the small parts or lose any. Exact reassembly is crucial to survival.

As noted above if you need the Remove and Replace instructions to get the service station out of the printer you can find them at this link on our website. 
DesignJet 500 / 800 Remove and Replace.

If you cannot clean the service station or do not have the time then replacing the service station is a cost effective means to clearing this error and ensuring it does not return anytime soon.
Current Service Station – C7769-60374 Service Station Assembly

Important Reminder: If the factory original service station is still installed in the machine then you will need to do a firmware update if you replace it with a new one.  HP did away with the vacuum fan on the newer models of service station and the old firmware will generate an error when It can not spin up and check that fan during the post.

Firmware must be version A.02.04 or higher for new service station.

If you cannot find the firmware anywhere else, contact Computer Care and I will help with that.

Have fun with it.

We have to try and solve more problems than we create.
Computer Care www.computercareonline.com

If you can not find the part or you need a little assistance with a problem.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation