Problems with plotter HP DesignJet 450C A1 (387 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Matteoslv
Message 1 of 15 (387 Views)

Problems with plotter HP DesignJet 450C A1

Hi, i've a problem with this plotter HP DesignJet 450C A1.
I'm using win vista 32 on my notebook and plotter is connected using and LPT/USB adapter. I tryed also on an old pc using win xp and a parallel cable but i've the same problem.
Plotter recives data, but doesn't print anything...
What should be the problem?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Matteoslv
Message 2 of 15 (387 Views)

Re: Problems with plotter HP DesignJet 450C A1

ISSUE:
An HP DesignJet printer/printer does not plot anything. Print files have been sent, the HP DesignJet printer/printer flashes busy and receiving, then it just stops and returns to a ready state.
SOLUTION:
The HP DesignJet printer/printer has received information, but it does not understand it so it is ignored. There are several things that can cause this:
Specific to PostScript (TM) capable HP DesignJet printer/printers. In PostScript mode, any non-PostScript information (HP-GL, HP-GL/2, RTL, ASCII data, etc) will be discarded and ignored. If the software package does not send a Printer Job Language (PJL) string to enter HP-GL/2, the printer will not know what to do with the file.
NOTE: If PostScript is the issue, there are two ways to get the printer to work properly: 1. Change the default language on the front panel. PRINTER SETUP/LANG = xxxx. Choose AUTOMATIC or the specific language you are sending. 2. In a network environment where a mixture of languages are in use, send a PJL command to enter the proper language through the software or network.

I tryed changing language using configuration print but it doesn't work!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 3 of 15 (387 Views)

The 450C is not a postscript plotter so you are probably using the wrong driver. Use the gl2 driver and it should work.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Matteoslv
Message 4 of 15 (387 Views)

Hi David, thank you for your reply.
The driver i'm using is the one downloaded from official HP website at this link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?locale=it_IT&taskId=135&prodSeriesI...
I'm using HP Designjet 450c (A1), the driver i've downloaded is for win XP, becouse for win Vista it doesn't exist.
I've tryed using the same driver also on my old desktop pc, which mounts win xp, but the plot hase the same problem.
I also have a HP Designjet 430 wich works with a print server.
I've tryed connecting also this one to both pc using USB-LPT adapter and using the Parallel Cable but it shows the same problem of the 450C. Driver i've installed on my pc for the 430 are always downloaded from the hp official website.
In the beginning I thought it should be a problem of comunications between my notebook and the plotter becouse of this USB-LPT adapter, so i've bought a Parallel cable and tryed to use it on my desktop pc wich mounts a parallel port, but the result was the same of the notebook. I think than it's a software problem, but i'm using HP original driver, what can I do?
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 5 of 15 (387 Views)

First make sure the plotter is actually working. Press the top left and top right buttons on the plotter to print a demo plot and tell us if that is working.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Matteoslv
Message 6 of 15 (387 Views)

I tested the plotter using its internal plot and it's wirking fine!
As I told you in my office i've also an HP DesignJet 430 that is still working..
It's connected to our server using a print server of D-Link.
I made also a test using the print server of 430 connecting it to my 450, using same driver on server and without changing nothing.
I used one of the office pc connected with server (that i use every day to plot with designjet 430) and I sent a plot in A2 to the designjet 430.
Immediately the 450c, connected as if it was the 430, started to plot without any problem, so this is the demonstration that the plotter is working good and the problem i've is only becouse of software.

I also made other tests. For example i tried to connect my 430 to both my pc (my personal notebook and another old desktop not connected to the server) using same cable i used with 450 to see if it was a problem of the plotter, and using the 430 driver downloaded from official HP website, but also the 430 had same problems, recives data but doesn't plot.

Both plotters work good using lan and print server, but don't work if I connect directly to my pc using USB/LPT or Parallel cable.

I Think that the problem are not inside cables becouse the data transmission is good, plotter recive data.. I think that data are not sent in good language and so plotter doesn't know hat it has to plot.
Maybe inside the server there're different drivers (for 430) that are not affected by these problems...
I thought to give a look inside the server, but the driver or software installed on server is for 430, so if also i'll use these driver, my 450 will never print using color, but only in B/W.

I Hope to solve this problem :(
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 7 of 15 (387 Views)

I guess you have just given us too much information and it has become confusing. From what I gather the plotter is working all the way to the input since if you connected to the port of the 430 and it works then nothing is wrong with the plotter. Now if you use the same cable that was connected to the printserver and connect to the parallel connection of your xp computer and it does not work, then it has to be the port on the xp computer or the driver software you are using. If the 430 connected to xp computer does the same that would confirm that the port or driver are the issue. Sometimes older printers have issues with ports that are set to ECP or EPP in the bios of the computer. You could try changing the port to Standard or Normal and see if that makes a difference.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Matteoslv
Message 8 of 15 (387 Views)

you said

If the 430 connected to xp computer does the same that would confirm that the port or driver are the issue

I did this test and also the 430 has same problem, plotter recives data but doesn't print.

I tried also changing parallel mode, in desktop pc, from bidirectional to EPP, ECP, printer but nothing has changed...

in my notebook i haven't these options in bios setup, becouse it hasn't parallel port and i'm using a usb adapter.

I think that the problem is the software (drivers), becouse on every pc i did the test i had the same problem, but i was always using the same driver, that maybe is affect by some problems.

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 9 of 15 (387 Views)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Matteoslv
Message 10 of 15 (387 Views)

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 11 of 15 (382 Views)

Try the english version anyway.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Matteoslv
Message 12 of 15 (382 Views)

Ok, I've just finished this new test, but always same result...it doesn't work
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 13 of 15 (382 Views)

It is not the plotter. Get a computer expert to help you.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Matteoslv
Message 14 of 15 (382 Views)

Thank you
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jon Larrabee
Message 15 of 15 (382 Views)

I have a 450C with the same problem. Did you come up with a solution?
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation