Installing a new blank hard drive in a DesignJet 5500 or 5500PS - SOLVED (33181 Views)
Outstanding Contributor
Message 51 of 55 (715 Views)

Re: Installing a new blank hard drive in a DesignJet 5500 or 5500PS - SOLVED

Are you sure the port is lpt1. Go to device manager and make sure the lpt port is name lpt1.
Occasional Visitor
Message 52 of 55 (702 Views)

Device manager says ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Thanks for the quick response

Occasional Visitor
Message 53 of 55 (526 Views)

Thanks, just what I need. We'll be trying this!

Occasional Visitor
Message 54 of 55 (347 Views)

I had the same problems getting my lpt1 port to work with upgrading the firmware on my DesignJet 5000, and FINALLY figured it out.

First of all, build a straight up XP machine with a good parallel port. Windows 7 or 8 will give you nightmares.

In BIOS, make sure the LPT port mode is set to NORMAL. The first PC I used didn't have the NORMAL setting, so I found one that did. In theory the ECP or ECP+EPP setting should work as it is supported by the printer's parallel port, but I didn't have much luck. When properly configured, in XP under Device Manager, your LPT port should  say Printer Port (LPT1), not ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Second, DO NOT install the printer/driver in XP. If you do this, then the DOS copy command you use will send the file into the windows printer queue instead of directly to the LPT1 port. It will just sit there at 64K and do nothing.

Third, you don't need to reboot into DOS mode, in XP just go to RUN->CMD and open a command window.

type in the the copy command: copy /b DJ5000_Axxx.fmw LPT1 but don't press ENTER until you've pressed UPDATE FIRMWARE on the printer.

Lastly, I had to issue the copy command THREE times before it made it all the way to the end. It kept aborting with communication problems at around 90%-96%. The third time was the charm and it went all the way through.

-Mike

Collector
Message 55 of 55 (195 Views)

Michael,

This is one of the best writups ever put out there on the web.  Your hard work and excellent documentation is greatly appreciated.  I am doing this installation today.  I'll let you know how it went.  

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.