Installing a new blank hard drive in a DesignJet 5500 or 5500PS - SOLVED (23059 Views)
Occasional Visitor
ELFars
Message 26 of 52 (3,074 Views)

Re: Installing a new blank hard drive in a DesignJet 5500 or 5500PS - SOLVED

I was getting "file not found" while trying to copy the .upg file to the LPT port,, till I used the cmd prompt window advised against in the post, but that was the only way I could copy to LPT1  This saved me 200.00 not having to buy the loaded disk from the rip-off vendors 220.00 for a 40 gig hard drive give me a break!!

Thanks for your posts

Eric in GJ Colo

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
omayli
Message 27 of 52 (3,065 Views)

Michael, you are a genius!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
keny27
Message 28 of 52 (3,048 Views)

Does anyone know where I can download the firmware for the designjet 5000, can only find an upgrade on hp site and as old hard drive is dead theres no chance of upgrading it.

Need complete firmware for DJ5000 to install to a new hard drive.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ejmoran
Message 29 of 52 (2,983 Views)

Thanks for posting the info about setting up a hard drive.

It worked very smooth.

The only thing I can add is: when I put the XP Pro machine into Safe mode/Cmd Prompt I could not write to LPT1.

What I ended up doing is, in XP, adding a printer to LPT1; went into a command window; ran the copy command. It worked just fine.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Najum
Message 30 of 52 (2,945 Views)

I need the this version of firmware only software DJ 5500 Firmware S.05.01

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
DioRocks
Message 31 of 52 (2,914 Views)

Do you think this would work on DJ 800PS and DJ1050PS models?

I have two at home and they are dead.

Thank you for your time. 

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 32 of 52 (2,913 Views)

No it will not work since each of those plotters do not have the ability to do an emergency firmware upgrade which the boot rom of the 5000 and 5500 plotter have.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tjacobs
Message 33 of 52 (2,773 Views)

I have a problem that i am running into. I got around the problem of booting with my XP into Dos etc. however when i type in the command to copy the file via the cable to the plotter. the Plotter comes up with the following message "initializing IO devs". i retried it but no luck. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
HovBaburyan
Message 34 of 52 (2,697 Views)

Re: Installing a new blank hard drive in a DesignJet T610 or 5500PS - SOLVED

I've got a DesignJet T610 wich won't boot-up.

After swithcing in, it's beeps ones and shows loading 0%.

After half minute past it's shows "X 08:11 System Error.....".

The printer coudn't be recognised by pc when connecteb by USB cable and, of'course I can't acceess to EWS (Embedded Web Server) using network connection, because a) I don't know the IP address, b) T610 should boot completly to gain access to EWS.

I found somewhere in the internet, that it could be cause of RAM or Main PCA to Front Panrl Connection.

Problems still persist after Reconecting front Panel and Main PCA connectors.

I had already replaced HDD ssta power and data cables, with no luck.

I think, it could be cause of damaged software on the HDD.

Is it possible to restore?

Are there any suggestions?

PLEASE HELP!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ira shakeri
Message 35 of 52 (2,481 Views)

Michael

downloaded the firmware from HP site but is an .exe file, how do you get the extention of .upg?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
olicanauk
Message 36 of 52 (1,986 Views)

Michael,  You are a legend.  My 5500ps failed to boot and I did this slightly differently by formatting the hard disk by putting it in a pc and wiping it.  I did get frustrated and phoned a service engineer who were only too keen to charge me £250 for a replacement quoting a load of mumbo jumbo to try to make it sound like I needed 'special' software to write the disk!  Many thanks and if anyone in the UK needs help I'll be only too happy to assist or try at least.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
ArthurL
Message 37 of 52 (1,972 Views)

Hey Michael,

I have an HP Designjet T1100 and will be trying the same thing- I purchased a hard drive for $40 instead of a board+drive for >$1K. And am hunting for an instruction set wrt firmware installation onto the new drive. This printer doesn't have a parallel port, instead it has a USB and ethernet ports. So the copy command to the "LPT1" port isn't going to work for me- wonder if you would know the substitute for USB, i.e., what a USB port name might be in DOS land (its been a long time since I worked in DOS).   I am guessing that I will have to set my computer as a network + define the printer on the network, and then somehow trick the LPT1 command into sending its output to the now network printer, so it ends up going out the USB port ??

ALso, what exactly is the "TOP" key for the printer- trying to reason out what might be the equivalent for my T1100

thanks

ART

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 38 of 52 (1,968 Views)

Art you are talking about two completely different machines. I do not work on yours but the advice above is for the dj5000 series. All I can find are these instructions:
With USB connectivity
2b. Open the HP Printer Utility, select your printer and click on the Support tab.
3. Select the Firmware upgrade.
4. Click on browse button to point to the newer firmware file (.fmw)
5. Click on the update button and follow the instructions.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
ArthurL
Message 39 of 52 (1,945 Views)

Yeah, i realize its a bit of apples vs oranges. But at over $1K for a new formater card (and they don't offer the drive separately) I thought it worth a try with a new/blank $40 drive. I guess HP doesn't offer replacement drives at a reasonable cost as it would cut into sales of new printers.

I wonder if the printer software on the computer (with the printer + new drive in the formatter card) will even recognize the printer anymore :(.  But I can't see spending over $1K for a 5year old printer, when I can purchase a new HP510 (24inch wide format) for under $2K.

ART

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
danmillis
Message 40 of 52 (1,789 Views)

Great post. I was able to get file downloaded and was able to connect thru parallel port. plotter displays "receiving" and goes right up to 100%. I then get an error message stating "boot Failed, please retry". i have run this twice and still get the same message. any thoughts? I can only find [1] place for the firmware, is there a difference between an update and a full version? any help would be greatly appreciated

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
eemc2
Message 41 of 52 (1,388 Views)

I also have just had my 5500ps fail, with the 1f50007 error. I have ordered an replaced both the HHD controll and the board that the HHD Controller plugs into plus the power supply. Still getting the error.  I have down loaded the software for it at 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?cc=us&prodNameId=82229&prodSeries...

as of 5 14 2013

I am going to format the WD drive a 40 gig in a pc then replace it with the down load. 

Instructions on the procedure would be great. You may contact me directly at james.olmstead@sbcglobal.net

Thank you, look forward to your reply.

James,

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 42 of 52 (1,383 Views)

The instructions are contained in the original thread by selecting 1 of 2. The first thing that should have been done was to try to reload the firmware with the instructions contained in that post. If that did not work, the a new hard disk or one with the same interface and the format is done while the drive is in the plotter as it is a special format. Just read the instructions in the original post as it is all there.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
B_Measner
Message 43 of 52 (1,039 Views)

Did this today and your directions worked great. Media profiles seemed to come with the general install.

Thanks for documenting this so well/compiling it into one post. You're totally cool.

BM

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
tceng
Message 44 of 52 (937 Views)

Thank you for this nice procedural description.  An friend from a former employer called, letting me know the hard dirve failed in the old 5000.  Your work on this technical task is a lifesaver.

chris 

Chris
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Lisvard
Message 45 of 52 (908 Views)

This is several years old, but I'll give it a shot. My HP Designjet 5000PS' hard drive failed. I followed your steps and got the drive in and am ready to update, but I cannot find the correct firmware for this unit. I can't find a  .UPG file. The only file I can get is DJ5000PS_A0218.exe. Is this the correct file?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Lisvard
Message 46 of 52 (901 Views)

Did you ever find the UPG file for the 5000? I have the same probem, can't find it.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Lisvard
Message 47 of 52 (896 Views)

Re: Installing a new blank hard drive in a DesignJet 5500 or 5500PS - SOLVED - FOUND IT!!

Upgrade process

If the System Maintenance Utility is unable to successfully upgrade firmware to a printer, send the files by connecting the printer to a PC through the parallel port.

1. Open a DOS session by clicking Start , Programs , then Command Prompt/MS DOS .

2. Type C: , press Enter.

3. Type cd Program Files , press Enter.

4. Type cd Hewlett-Packard , press Enter.

5. Type cd HP Designjet System Maintenance , press Enter. The location should now be C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Designjet System Maintenance.

HP Designjet 5000
  1. From the above location, type copy /b DJ5000_Axxxx.FMW LPT1 (the “xxxx” refers to the most current firmware revision). Proceed with the following steps before pressing Enter.

2. At the printer, turn the power to the printer off, using the power switch at the back of the printer.

3. Depress, and hold down the Down Arrow key and the Top key simultaneously, while turning the power to the printer on (use the power switch at the back of the printer.)

4. Continue to hold down the Down Arrow and Top key until the front panel display shows a list of four selections.

5. Highlight and select Upgrade Firmware . The front panel display shows “Firmware Upgrade.”

6. Send the copy command from the PC (copy /b DJ5000_Axxxx.FMW LPT1) by pressing Enter. The printer front panel display will indicate the progress of the firmware upgrade.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDispl... 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
JD Fitch
Message 48 of 52 (643 Views)

Terrific post!!   A lot of time and effort clearly went in to working out this procedure.
If you do not have the time to do this upgrade procedure on a clients Plotter we do have an alternative.  HP of course has discontinued the hard drives for the DesignJet 5000 and 5500 plotter series.
We have an alternative in stock.

DesignJet 5000 RTL Hard drive (Version A.02.18)

DesignJet 5500 RTL Hard Drive (Version S.56.07-RTL)

DesignJet 5500 PS Hard Drive (Version  S.56.07 RC)

Of course you can feel free to contact me if you need assistance, use the Contact Us page on the website in my signature.

We have to try and solve more problems than we create.
Computer Care www.computercareonline.com

If you can not find the part or you need a little assistance with a problem.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
briggleman
Message 49 of 52 (290 Views)

You need to type this command

copy hp5500posts_s_56_07.upg lpt1:/b

this can be done in a dos window under XP and a ntfs formatted drive.

I spent a whole day swapping out computers trying differnet XP service packs before I discovered the command did not work from the original post!!!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
behindthe8ball
Message 50 of 52 (211 Views)

I've read this thread over and over but I cannot get the firmware to copy to lpt1. I keep getting the same system cannnot find the file. The firmware is right where it should be and shows up when I do the DIR. I added a printer to that port with no problem but still cannot copy to it.

I am using a windows 7 computer and booting to safe mode with dos prompt, only computer I have with a paralle port on it.

When I try the command prompt within windows it take a long time but eventually comes back with the same cannot find file response.

What an I missing? What should  try next?

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation