Ink Level Indicator (226 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Schrader
Message 1 of 8 (226 Views)

Ink Level Indicator

I was in the middle of a plot with our HP110 plus NR plotter yesterday when it quit in the middle of the plot. The magenta printhead warnign was flashing. After shutting down and restarting the warning stopped and I was able to restart the plot but the ink level showed empty. I know it is not empty as the other two colors are still full and I rarely use color. I went through the prescribed cleaning proceedures and even successfully printed a test diagnostics page but the level still shows empty. Is there a way to remedy this?
Honored Contributor
Carl Hennig
Message 2 of 8 (226 Views)

Re: Ink Level Indicator

Sometimes the DesignJet 100 series of printers messes up the Smart Chip on the ink tanks. If you are absolutely positive there is ink in the tank, then you can replace the bottom cap with a bottom cap that has an Auto Reset Chip in it. I get my bottom caps w/ARC from MacroEnter.com. They cost about $7.00 per cap.
http://www.macroenter.com/HP_Compatible_Chips_With_Bottoms_s/493.htm

If you use an ARC chip, you will have to manually keep track of the ink usage or you run the risk of running the ink supply system dry. The ARC chip resets to full if the tank is removed or the power is removed from the printer.
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Schrader
Message 3 of 8 (226 Views)

I tried to install the new bottom-reset devices but they don't seem to work. I took them back off and tried running it with the ink level at zero. it works sometimes but most of the time it gets a quarter of the way throught the black-only plot and errors out. I hate to buy a brand-new ink cartridge for it since this one is still full and they are so expensive. Is there another way to reset the ink level?
Honored Contributor
Carl Hennig
Message 4 of 8 (226 Views)

Bruce:

The ARC chips from MacroEnter should work without any problem.
If the chip is constantly being reset by the printer, that indicates another underlying error. Quite possibly the Ink Supply Station is causing the chip failure.
If you have had a leaking ink tank recently, that is probably the cause of the ink station problem.
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Schrader
Message 5 of 8 (226 Views)

I have not noticed that ink has leaked out (but then again I'm not sure where to look). Assuming that is the problem, how do I fix it? Thanks!
Honored Contributor
Carl Hennig
Message 6 of 8 (226 Views)

Start the System Maintenance tool.
Get the Printer Information report.
Look at the latest errors. If there is a 21:10 error, then you can be assured it is the ink supply station.
Unless you are very handy with tools, etc., I would call in a HP technician.

What are the latest error codes?
If possible, attach a photo or scan of the print problem.
Occasional Visitor
Bruce Schrader
Message 7 of 8 (226 Views)

I will try that....but in the mean time I broke down and purchased a new ink cartrige and the problem went away!

Do you know how to keep the roll of paper from unloading after each plot? Sometimes it stays loaded but most of the time it kicks it out the back and I have to reload it.
Honored Contributor
Carl Hennig
Message 8 of 8 (226 Views)

Make absolutely sure you are feeding the roll paper into the correct slot. The roll paper goes into the lower, thin, hard to use slot.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.