Re: HP designjet 130 clogged ink tubes (5500 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Designjet 130 can't cal
Message 1 of 25 (5,527 Views)

HP designjet 130 clogged ink tubes

Is their a way that I can clean out the ink tubes with out sending my printer to a HP service center? A HP tech trouble shotted the problem with my printer as inadequate ink flow from my catridges to the heads as a block in the supply line. When I look at the yellow ink tube I can see what apears to be dried ink in a few areas of the tubes. It looks like darker areas of dried ink. If I can't flush the tubes can I replace the tubes myself? Do the new tubes come already charged with ink? If not is their a kit to fill the supply lines? Thanks, Chuck
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Stephen Doyle
Message 2 of 25 (5,500 Views)

Re: HP designjet 130 clogged ink tubes

You need to get them replaced, as the ISS is part of the assembly and this can be the issue.

They come with setup printheads which allow the tubes to prime. As for changing them yourselft I would recommend you send them to a HP center as the machine is not the easy to take apart and it you break any of the tab you will by buying them to replace as well.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
john gury
Message 3 of 25 (5,500 Views)

Yet another case of yellow ink delivery failure for the 130. Don't waste your money trying to fix.
HP will deny the problem and does not offer any recall or fix for this problem. If you
change to a new yellow head that will fix it until the charge runs out.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Designjet 130 can't cal
Message 4 of 25 (5,500 Views)

I finally got the yellow ink line to flow. I downloaded the file that one member of the forum suggested and printed about 50 or more sheets of plain paper with the yellow purge file. In the driver I also turned up the ink volume to heavy and set the quality to best. Thanks for the help. Unfortunatly in the area I live, their are no HP repair centers, and none of them will come to my area to service the machine. The closest place I could have taken the machine is about a 5 hr. drive away. Thanks, Chuck
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Carl Hennig
Message 5 of 25 (5,500 Views)

Charles

As you are not close to a HP Service centre, I have attached a preventive maintenance process approved by HP.

As for "Yet another case of yellow ink delivery failure ", regular maintenance will prevent this problem. The Yellow ink and print head are at the start of the ISS assembly and if the capping system does not close completely, the Yellow ink has a tendency to dry up and contaminate the delivery system.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Designjet 130 can't cal
Message 6 of 25 (5,500 Views)

Thanks for the info. Chuck
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 7 of 25 (5,500 Views)

Charles what file did you download and can you provide a link. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Designjet 130 can't cal
Message 8 of 25 (5,500 Views)

I found the file on this forum. I can't seem to locate it now. You can e-mail me and I'll send the files to you. dujsikc@cox.net
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
snorkal
Message 9 of 25 (3,272 Views)

I am new to this forum and was wondering what file was used to adjust the printheads.  I think this would prove helpful if it still exists.  I have the same headache everyone else seems to have with the hp 130

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Nameric
Message 10 of 25 (3,258 Views)

[ Edited ]

I wish I had a solution for your printing issue.  I believe many people are having the same issue with their 130.  My story is similar to others and after being told that the yellow ink just needed to be replenished I am very disappointed to find out it is a clogged head/tube again.  Odd that HP, a large multi-national corporation, would risk their imaging reputation with such an obvious design flaw.  I am betting, with all the financial issues this company has seen, that they are in survival mode against Epson in this market arena.

Ultimately it is this type of denial and misdirection from such a company that determines the long term viability.  Everyone votes for which company they support with their buying dollars.  Epson and others offer a similar product at a similar price point.  Given the lack of response from HP to the community as a whole they have lost at least one customer in the future.

Historically I had to replace the tubes/heads on my printer after having only used it for 50 full sized prints.  They stated that the lack of use caused the ink to dry.  I paid to have the service done and the new tubes installed.  Now I am back in the same situation with the same color (yellow) not functioning.  I am sure they will say again that I will need to pay for the servicing of the heads.  I find it odd that only the one color is consistently the issue but there is no "defect" in the design.

Since I have seen little sign that HP intends to retrofit or redesign the product given it's current state of malfunction.  It is time to look for a more viable solution with another manufacturer.  I would suggest that even if you were given this 130 free you will soon find that it will cost more to keep it functional than purchasing another new product from a vendor willing to properly service the unit well after the limited warranty expires.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
gregorys101
Message 11 of 25 (2,966 Views)

I purchased a used DJ130 a year and half ago knowing there was a problem with the yellow. Thought it was ink or printhead because it had not been used for several years.

Purchased new printhead and ink still nothing.

Took to authorized HP service place, they had it for 4 months, told me it was the processor ($600 plus). I balked, they cleaned it, fired the previous service guy and said it worked. I took it home, and it seemed to work for a while. Now the yellow is inconsistent.

I am a low volume user, mostly CAD. But the yellow is problematic when I need it for the photos I print occaisionlly. Then I come across this forum post and realize it is not me or my machine but an HP problem.

I have been a life long HP printer user but like most of the computer giants, they are stuffing the pockets of the CEOs and top brass at the expense of the consumer. There is nothing to their concern for quality or customer care (customer loyalty). Had one HP computer, a junker that lasted barely past the warranty.

Just venting....

Just as I figured a clogged yellow feed tube. Seems one needs to run these printers daily to keep working. I am not taking it back to the local HP service center; used to be managed well (decided not to mention name in Santa Rosa CA) but in the few years between my recent use (April 2012) and the older experience service quality has deterioriated to sadly poor.

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 12 of 25 (2,949 Views)

Here is something you can try if inclined. You will need an old printhead (any color) and a hypo syringe. You take the printhead a part so you are left with just the pin part that goes into the front of the carriage assembly and you fashion a way to attached that part to the hypo. You then try to draw the ink by pulling up on the hypo plunger to see if it draws ink from the ink cartridge. If it does you should be back in business. If not then you can order the solution at the link below and force some of it into the tube assembly which in most cases will break up the blockage so you can do what was described above. The solution is for epson printers but will work on the 130.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson/K70
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 13 of 25 (1,549 Views)

Yellow ink issues with this model are common. New tubes do not come with ink and there are no setup heads. You have to use printheads that have never been used for purging and then set the purging flag on the plotter so it pumps ink to purge on the next power on. One this you can try if you have a hypo syringe available. You can remove the printhead and place the needle in the rubber part of the tube assembly that the printhead pin goes in front and then try to draw ink. Most times this will not work with the yellow since it gets clogged badly. One thing you can do is order an epson head cleaning solution from the link below and inject into into the tube and it may breakup the clog and then allow for you to draw the ink. Do not under any circumstance inject into the tube itself. You inject into the same rubber part that the pin from the printhead goes into when it is inserted. Just look at the printhead and turn it over and in the front will be a metal pin in the middle of the black circle at the top front of the printhead. Just see where that pin fits in and that is the place where you inject or draw the ink.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/kits/epson/K70
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Kebashow
Message 14 of 25 (878 Views)

Hello David,

I have the DJ120 and have the issue of the clogged yellow tube. I just read your suggestion about the Epson kit and how it could work on this.

I am considering placing an order for the kit, (cant seem to find a shop that stocks is in the UK)

Is it possible to provide the procedure in doing this on the DJ120 as I am at my wits end ??

Kind regards

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
skinsey
Message 15 of 25 (875 Views)

Can't help on your problem but for sourcing in UK you could try http://mindmachine.co.uk , I got the part I needed on ebay for a 130nr, but these guys could have supplied it also in UK

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 16 of 25 (864 Views)

Procedure is the same as the DJ130. That site will ship to the UK.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Kebashow
Message 17 of 25 (834 Views)

Thanks for the link.

I did contact them and received this reply:

"The tubes assembly (C7791-60129) is no longer available from HP, although you may find a refurbished unit on ebay.

We don't currently list tube flush liquid - again ebay is probably your best bet"

So I am back to searching on ebay.

Fingers crossed
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Kebashow
Message 18 of 25 (830 Views)

Thank you, DavidZuts

I just placed an order for the K70.

WIll come back with updates

Once again, thanks
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Kebashow
Message 19 of 25 (818 Views)

So I decided to take the plunge and sort this clog out myself. And it paid off

I used a syringe and needle, took out the print heads and then begun priming the tubes.

All the air pockets and any other blockage came out through the syringe. No patches on any of the 6 tubes linking the cartridges to the heads

It took a few minutes, primed all 6 heads, and set the printer to prime itself on the next startup

Voila !!! 

All heads are working, as shown in the status printout (Before & After)

I will keep the K70 I ordered for future use (I don't understand why I didnt try this first)

*Never make decisions under duress*

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
HPPrinters
Message 20 of 25 (400 Views)

Hello, 

What brand of syringe and needle did you use and where did you purchase it?

Also, is this the proceedue to clear the print heads:

1. Clear air pockets of the print heads with the syringe/needle for all 6 print heads

2. Put the print heads back into their respective locations.

3. Primed all 6 heads - How did you do this part ? - Did you have to physically take apart each print head?

4. Set the printer to prime itself on the next startup.

Thank you for your detailed disclosure and enjoy your weekend !

Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
HPPrinters
Message 21 of 25 (337 Views)

Hello Kebashow

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 22 of 25 (326 Views)

Just go down to Target and get yourself a cooking basting piece which is an oversized syringe. It comes with a plastic sleeve and I just cut the metal shaft of the syringe, place the plastic sleeve over it and then have the other end of the plastic sleeve go over the nub or the portion of the printhead I told above how to obtain from and old printhead.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
HPPrinters
Message 23 of 25 (314 Views)

Hello David, thank you for the reply.

I looked at Target and found these 2 basters; which one do you recommend?

http://www.target.com/p/chefmate-baster/-/A-12753853#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=baster

http://www.target.com/p/oxo-turkey-baster-set-2-pc/-/A-13567775#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=baster

Also, I do not follow you when you say "cut the metal shaft of the syringe, place the plastic sleeve over it and then have the other end of the plastic sleeve go over the nub or the portion of the printhead" since both basters appear to be plastic and not metal.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 24 of 25 (300 Views)

Check the link below. I bought mine in Target over a hear ago. Do the closeup and you will see the metal part that stick in the meat and a hole a little above the end. The one I bought had a plastic sleeve that cover the bottom part and I just clipped the metal by the hole and then use the plastic piece to fit over the metal and over the nub from the old printhead that I broke apart.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Y9GS7S/ref=asc_df_B008Y9GS7S3247242?smid=AS1TOECI8W5X3&tag=shopzilla0d-...
Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
HPPrinters
Message 25 of 25 (238 Views)

Hello David and fellow HP owners,

I was able to obtain 3ml hypo syringes and needles and the baster via Amazon.  The needle for the baster I recieved was about 5 times larger in diameter than the hypo needles; the plastic sheath on the baster did not fix tight enough to draw ink.  I then inserted the needle with the hypo syringe and drew 3 ml of the Light Cyan (lc) ink successfully from the tube entrance from where the Light Cyan print head plugs into the assembly.  I then turned on the printer, and still had the flashing icon for the Light Cyan Print head.  I then told the unit to prime the heads on next power up by holding down the power button and hitting the canel button 3 times and then the Resume button 3 times, powered off, and then powered on again to re-prime the print heads.  The issue persisted.  I then again extracted out another 3 ml of Light Blue Cyan with the hypo syringe and then turned on the unit.  Issue persisted after powering backup.  Told the unit to re-prime with the above button commands; issue persists.  What do you think needs to be done at this point?  Order a new Light Cyan print head ?  Do I need to draw ink out of all the different color print head entry points if the issue is connected ?

Cheers

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation