HP Designjet "Out of Memory Data was lost" (1860 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Steve Casey_2
Message 1 of 7 (1,860 Views)

HP Designjet "Out of Memory Data was lost"

We have an old HP Designjet Model C1633A. Recently, the plotter has begun giving the message "Out of Memory Data was Lost" very frequently but just for one user and not with every file. This problem has gotten worse lately. I am able to plot out these same files on our other plotter, an HP Designjet 750C. My contention is that there is some conflict between the computer and the plotter because the problem has only developed over the last few months. Plot file sizes have not increased during this time but I can't seem to track down the problem. Any one have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Valued Contributor
CA754313
Message 2 of 7 (1,859 Views)

Re: HP Designjet "Out of Memory Data was lost"

Steve;

I am curious as we are having this issue with a 750 we brought out of retirement. What OS are you using? Is it WinXP Pro?

Herb
To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Occasional Visitor
Steve Casey_2
Message 3 of 7 (1,859 Views)

Herb,
The OS is Windows 98. So far you're the only one who has replied. Still haven't found a solution.
Valued Contributor
CA754313
Message 4 of 7 (1,859 Views)

Steve;

I am thinking about the way Win98 OS spools jobs when a printer is run locally. Could your jobs be spooling to the temp directory with Win98 like they do with a traditional local printer? If this is the case, then you have to checkout your temp directory and clean it out. Then try re-running the problem plotting job to see if you can remedy this or re-create the same problem.

Good luck...

Herb
To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer.
Respected Contributor
CA1109344
Message 5 of 7 (1,859 Views)

"Out of Memory Data was lost" means just that ... there is not enough RAM onboard to handle the job that was sent. It could be that the memory in the printer is failing and needs to be replaced. It could be that it needs to be upgraded. Try to process the document in the computer ( Drivers Advanced Tab - select Process in computer or Avoid Out of Memory )
HHHhhmmm ..... OK
Occasional Visitor
CA1132465
Message 6 of 7 (1,859 Views)

We just bought a 755CM.

The drivers that came with Windows 2000 created frequent out of memory errors, and take a very long time to print.

After downloading the 755CM drivers from hp.com (the HPGL driver) and selecting the "in computer" option, the errors have gone away, and prints that had taken 16 hours to *begin* printing now finish in under 20 minutes.

Bob
Respected Contributor
CA1109344
Message 7 of 7 (1,859 Views)

Bob ,

You were probably dealing with more than 'not enough memory' - you probably have defective memory. Using the process 'in computer' is the best way to get past this. Try taking out ALL added RAM and send a print - you may be surprized - it may actually be faster. That would indicate bad RAM.
HHHhhmmm ..... OK
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.