HP Designjet 500 hpgl2 card and 620n card, print jobs lost!? (1346 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Sp0rk Spr0k
Message 1 of 4 (1,346 Views)

HP Designjet 500 hpgl2 card and 620n card, print jobs lost!?

Hi,

I have a client who has a Design Jet 500 printer that appears to have a hpgl2 card (as the printers LCD makes reference to it! ) and a 620n JetDirect card.

The 620n Card appears to be working correctly , it's assigned its IP address from the DHCP server correctly and I can get to it's web page and everything appears to be in order.

However the oddity comes when trying to the device. I've used the HP Network Discovery tool on both XP & Vista. Both O/S's find the printer fine; and although it doesn't find the drivers on line it will accept those downloaded and creates the printer properly.

However when I send a test page to the printer the following happens.

1. Test page dispatch from OS (XP or Vista)
2. Printer indicates that the Job has reached it.
3. HPGL2 message appears on printer LCD
4. Print job disappears and theres no output.

I'm now unsure as to what the problem is. This maybe a driver issue and I might not be using the right one:
I'm using the HP Designjet 500 24 driver as thats what it is, however I may need the driver with HPGL2 reference although when it's been attached to the USB thats NOT been the driver that's been auto detected our used.

I should note that when plugged in Via USB the device works fine which leads me to believe that it could be a hardware conflict on the printer it's self between the HPGL2 card and the 620N card or a misconfiguration. I'm wondering if theres a required firmware upgrade?

I'm at a loss as to what the resolution is and really require some help as it's becoming urgent :(

Thanks

ShipsMonkey (yarr)
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 2 of 4 (1,346 Views)

Re: HP Designjet 500 hpgl2 card and 620n card, print jobs lost!?

Sounds more like a communication issue. If it works with the usb and all you do is change the port in the driver from the usb to the tcp/ip port and it does not work, then the issue is network card or interface of the network card. One thing you can do but be careful. You can do a firmware upgrade of the plotter but you have to remove the gl2 card with the power off before doing the firmware upgrade. If you upgrade with the gl2 card in the plotter it will destroy the card.
Valued Contributor
Chris Tuckshaw
Message 3 of 4 (1,346 Views)

Hi,

I agree with David, it sounds more like a communication issue. However, it can also have something to do with the driver as it has installed the drivers automatically.

Would suggest you to clear up the driver files from Server properties. Download the drivers from the link mentioned below :

If the above step doesn't works would suggest you to try changing the Slots of the Hp/Gl2 and JDC 620n. Make sure that you power off the printer before you interchange them.

If none of these above steps work, try updating the firmware, but before firmware upgrade remove the Hpgl/2 card. To remove the Hp GL2 card , power off the printer and just pull it out.

Regards,
Chris
An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.
Valued Contributor
Chris Tuckshaw
Message 4 of 4 (1,346 Views)

I apologize for not including the link. Please find the link below :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

Regards,
Chris
An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.