HP Designjet 500 24" won't print from que (425 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Pat Johnson
Message 1 of 6 (425 Views)

HP Designjet 500 24" won't print from que

This printer was printing fine until we moved to a new location. It powers up, and gets to the READY state, however, anything sent to it remains in the print que and does not print.
It is using a Centronics to DB25 M cable on lpt1
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 2 of 6 (425 Views)

Re: HP Designjet 500 24" won't print from que

Are you using the same parallel cable as before or a different one. Check to make sure the cable connections are secure at each end. If still having issues try a usb connection to see if the computer sees the printer being connected. Remove and reinstall the drivers or at least delete everyting in the printq as a doucment may be corrupt being first in iine.
Occasional Advisor
Pat Johnson
Message 3 of 6 (425 Views)

It is the same cable that worked before. I have removed all from the print que and tried again. No communication. I haven't tried USB yet because I believe I cannot go over 20 feet.
The plotter is downstairs and the PC is upstairs approximately 25 feet from each other.
The original cable was a 20 foot. I added a 6 ft because of the difference in length needed to connect.

I also tried another computer with a different parallel cable located within 6 feet and I still do not get any communication.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 4 of 6 (425 Views)

You did not mention that you added to the cable length. As to the other computer I have no idea if it would have worked with the other cable or even the new cable. Maybe the 6 foot cable you have is bad, since you just added it. Try the cable with another printer, like a laser or something else. Gut feeling is you have cable issues. Also it is usually hit or miss when you go over 10-15 feet with a parallel cable. The output from the port on the computer plus the sensitivity of the input on the plotter are factors. Make sure is using parallel that all cable are IEEE. Also just as with parallel sometimes usb over 15 feet will work. I have a 10 foot extension I use sometimes with a 6 foot cable and most times it works. Only devices I have problems with are usb flash drives but most printers work. Your issue right now is probably cable.
Occasional Advisor
Pat Johnson
Message 5 of 6 (425 Views)

The six foot extension cable is brand new.

The "other" 6 footer is a known good cable (centronix to DB25)from another setup.

I was going to try the usb, but if I remember right, this plotter only supports USB 1.0.
Honored Contributor
David Zuts
Message 6 of 6 (425 Views)

Still should work. Did you try the cable on another parallel printer?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.