HP DesignJet 500 24+HPGL2 Card+Jetdirect 615n freeze on "elaborating hpgl/2" (1206 Views)
Visitor
studiobig
Message 1 of 11 (1,206 Views)

HP DesignJet 500 24+HPGL2 Card+Jetdirect 615n freeze on "elaborating hpgl/2"

[ Edited ]

Hi,

our office own a HP Designjet 500 plus 24pin, with  HPGL2 board installed, and we are experiencing print problems after the installation of a Jetdirect 615n board. Firmwares are all updated.

Until now, before the firmware update too, we interfaced with the plotter through an old external print server, which drivers don't exist for windows 7, but no print problems; now we have installed the jetdirect board, drivers installation are without errors and the communication with the plotter seems to be ok too, when we launch the print test page we observe that no errors are present in the print queue just as before, but on the printer's display we read "print test page, elaborating hpgl2" and with this message the plotter simply hangs, until we power off.

I read a lot of topics on internet, particularly on this community, about similar problems but we didn't have success with any of the solutions suggested, like updating firmwares, setting "Send job as bitmap" and disabling the spoolsmart option... the result is always the same.

If I remove the HPGL2 card every print sent to the plotter is deleted , as reported directly on the plotter display, and a warning appears on boot reporting "warning:0x4050002 task:tRooTask file:rpc.c line:269"

My questions are,

is it a Jetdirect problem?

Or a driver problem? The result is the same if print test page is launched from XP or WIndows 7

I really don't know what to do, hope you'll help me find a solution.

Thanks in advance!!

Eric

Visitor
studiobig
Message 2 of 11 (1,147 Views)

Re: HP DesignJet 500 24+HPGL2 Card+Jetdirect 615n freeze on "elaborating hpgl/2"

Hi, it's sad that no one knows how to solve this issue, since seems that a lot of people have problems with this hpgl2 card on a designjet500.

Been reading a lot of these posts and I suspect that a possible reason can be my firmware update from A03.07 to latest for both plotter and formatter. Is there a way to downgrade the firmware?

I tried to use a different driver for communicate with the plotter but i had no luck, I replaced the hpgl2 driver with the pcl3gui one but I noticed that my plotter wasn't in the list, 'cause I have a 500 plus one. Is there somewhere a 500plus 24 driver for windows 7 64bit and for windows xp 32bit?

Hope someone will answer me, we are about replace the plotter and not with a new hp one I presume..we are trying to solve this issue since March

Thank you in advance!

Eric

Honored Contributor
timwj1
Message 3 of 11 (1,145 Views)

Re: HP DesignJet 500 24+HPGL2 Card+Jetdirect 615n freeze on "elaborating hpgl/2"

I would suggest that you delete the plotter and re-add it.  Once you get to the step of it asking you what printer you have, and gives you the option of "have disk" or windows update, click on windows update.  It takes a few minutes to load the entire built in database of drivers, but once it does, your plotter should be listed there now.

If you feel my reply has assisted you in repairing your printer please press the kudos star icon on the left and mark as problem solved. Thank you!

TJ
Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 4 of 11 (1,139 Views)

You probably damaged the gl2 card with the firmware upgrade. HP does not say anything on the firmware page but many many people have had the issue of destroying the gl2 card with a firmware upgrade. The firmware should be upgraded with the gl2 card removed from the plotter. If that is your issue, you need to remove the gl2 card and then use the raster driver. The raster driver is sometimes bundled with the designjet 5000 driver but not sure if the case for windows 7. I know for xp it is there.
Visitor
studiobig
Message 5 of 11 (1,125 Views)

Hi, thanks for your answer..I'll try to use the windows drivers for sure even though I suspect the problem involves the firmware update.

But at first I updated the plotter to latest firmware WITHOUT the gl2 card, I had the very same problem, with the display reporting "elaborating hpgl2" , so one of the things I wanted to try was upgrading the formatter too...as It was listed in the updater tool, I thought it was something that had to be done.

The result after was the same.

Anyway, would you suggest me to buy another gl2 card? maybe a more suitable and compatible one with my plotter, if it exist?

Thank you in advance

Eric

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 6 of 11 (1,118 Views)

First see if the plotter works with the gl2 card removed using the raster driver.
Visitor
studiobig
Message 7 of 11 (1,086 Views)

Ok, I'll try during this week..I made a research and I didn't find any raster driver for our Designjet plus 500 24pin , just for designjet 500 and 500PS for both 24 and 42 pin.. I have downloaded a few candidates but when I have to choose my model from the list, after the driver selection, I didn't find my model, but only the model I wrote above..maybe I don't know what raster means..would you explain to me?

Thanks again for your support!

Eric

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 8 of 11 (1,079 Views)

First off it is 24 and 42 inch. Just use the plain designjet 500 and do not worry that it is not plus as it should work.
Visitor
studiobig
Message 9 of 11 (1,046 Views)

HI, I managed to solve the problem with you suggestions DavidZuts, i removed the hpgl2 board and installed the raster drivers called pcl3gui. Thanks for the Help!

Just one thing, everything works but when the plotter inizialize itself it display something about contacting HP technical support:

warning: 0x4050002

task: tRootTask

file: rpc.c

line: 269

but as I said everything works, do you any idea about this?

Anyway thanks again for the help

Eric

Outstanding Contributor
DavidZuts
Message 10 of 11 (1,039 Views)

Sounds like you still have a firmware issue. I would try to update the firmware again and see if that solves the error. Remember do not have the gl2 installed.
Advisor
prempl30
Message 11 of 11 (1,013 Views)

Hi

please try the following steps which will fix the issue

CLICK START ON THE DESKTOP > SELECT PRINTERS AND FAXES :

SELECT THE PRINTER DRIVER, RIGHT CLICK ON THE DRIVER, SELECT PROPERTIES

FROM THE DROP DOWN MENU.

CLICK PRINTING PREFERENCE TAB:

SELECT SERVICE TAB AT THE TOP: and click on troubleshooting menu you will get 3 options

ENABLE ALL THE 3 OPTIONS.

SELECT OK / APPLY AND CLOSE THE WINDOWS and same setting has to be done under advance tab and printing defaults .

Again go into properties

Go into Advanced and select printing default at the bottom

SELECT SERVICE TAB AT THE TOP: and click on troubleshooting menu you will get 3 options

ENABLE ALL THE 3 OPTIONS.

SELECT OK / APPLY AND CLOSE THE WINDOWS

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.